Thread: Paci Care Question?

Default Paci Care Question?

I know there are several recent pacifier threads going now but I didn't want to stir one off course with my question. I just got a NUK 5 which is the first pacifier I've been able to enjoy since others are too small. I LOVE my paci and want to know how often or if I should clean it and hoow should I. Also, how long should it last before replacing? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gnd567 View Post
    I know there are several recent pacifier threads going now but I didn't want to stir one off course with my question. I just got a NUK 5 which is the first pacifier I've been able to enjoy since others are too small. I LOVE my paci and want to know how often or if I should clean it and hoow should I. Also, how long should it last before replacing? Thanks
    My first nuk 5 went bad after 2 years of on/off use (from golden yellow to brownish yellow, ick!). I keep mine in ziplock sandwich bags and I suppose removing as much air as possibly prevents oxidation which I can only assume Latex isn't fond of.

As for cleaning it. I place it and and my bottle nipples in a coffee cup of water that was in the microwave for about 90 seconds. Hot enough to kill germs I think, cool enough to not do any long lasting damage. My current Nuk 5 I've had for about a year now. Got it for less then 20 bucks from Fetlife. Completely worth the price for how long it's kept.

If they are proper baby equipment, like for infants, then they will withstand boiling temperatures as that is what is required for boiled water sterilisation methods.

Do you have milton where you come from? It is a fab sterilisation fluid that you can use to guarantee you wipe out ANY nasty bacteria, you just add a cap to water and leave the items to soak overnight...

It's best to wash a paci with plain soap and water before each use. You're generally supposed to replace them every few months, but I wouldn't worry about it that much unless it shows signs of damage.

I just go with the old method of washing it in almost scalding hot water for about 5 minutes (usually while I'm in the shower) and clean it with a hand towel.

It's what people mainly use to clean their paci's, in my head anyway, nothing really fancy or anything since I personally think it's nothing that can get more bacteria off the thing and it's more convenient anyway ^_^

I sleep with my Nuk5 so when I wake, I wash mine with soap and warm water and then dry it. I check it after drying to make sure it is still safe to use and then put it away. It is all ready for the next night. I've had mine for a month or two and it is holding up well.

Keep it in dry and dark place, later don't expose it to sun. Boiling destroy latex. If I need, I clean it with fresh water, nothing more. Mostly I' ve them about two years when I replace any.
    Last edited by CrazySmoker; 22-May-2013 at 19:27.