Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, yeah, I need a little pity. Indulge me? (medical issues I've had my entire life yet did not know)

Default So, yeah, I need a little pity. Indulge me? (medical issues I've had my entire life yet did not know)

Hey all: It's been a while since I've been on.

Life and all, but hey, I'm back. I might even write a story again. Possibly even continue one I never finished, which would probably be a better idea.

In any case, last week I found out I had a disadvantage compared to most people. I was born with 35% less hearing acuity (in both ears) than most people. That is to say, I'm hard of hearing.

I'm almost in shock even though it's been five days since, primarily because it's been recommended I get hearing aids. At 26 years old.

They'll definitely help me and I'm going to get them, but... it's somewhat depressing. To tide me over until I manage to save up the approximately $6000 price, a guy at work had an extra hearing aid he's loaning me and I'm going to have it fitted on Thursday.

So yeah, I need a little pity if anyone has it to spare.

I'm also not above good-natured ribbing, because hey, laughter helps.

That'd would be a bitter pill to swallow. Still, with the help of a little technology, you're going to be better than you were, so accentuate the positive and try to be upbeat about it. Welcome back, by the way

Yeah, the model I've got to get has Bluetooth and apparently can double as music headphones/phone headset that match my own personal audiogram. So, yay for that.

Meh, maybe once I get these paid off I'll go for those bionic legs next. :P

Thanks for the positive words. I needed some.

Another thing in your favor; you're not at the mercy of people with loud bassy boom cars who insist on 'sharing' their 'music' with the rest of the world, hypersensitive hearing has its own brand of pain sometimes

Remember also that this doesn't make you any older, or that your body is turning against you. I recently had my back operated on again, for the second time. That, combined with being 65 has made me feel older, especially since retirement will occur at the end of this year. Even so, I feel somewhat young, and there's much I can do. Think positively and you will be happier.

Here's a video that always cheers me up when I'm down. It's ten minutes of truck crashes. I'm a man of simple tastes.

I actually just got my new hearing aids today, I feel your pain on the cost. I had to shell out 6500 for mine. But at least I can hear and the ringing in my ears are masked. They play a white noise like a ocean wave. Costly but well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by MOPaddED View Post
    Another thing in your favor; you're not at the mercy of people with loud bassy boom cars who insist on 'sharing' their 'music' with the rest of the world, hypersensitive hearing has its own brand of pain sometimes
    Yeah, unfortunately to get the full effect of the music I'm one of those that share my bass with the world. xD

Sorry. x3

Though, to be fair I didn't know? x3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jambi66441 View Post
    I actually just got my new hearing aids today, I feel your pain on the cost. I had to shell out 6500 for mine. But at least I can hear and the ringing in my ears are masked. They play a white noise like a ocean wave. Costly but well worth it.
    Sorry for the double post, you posted while I was posting! Yeah, I don't get the ringing in my ears because the 'damage' is either neurological or cochlear through genetics. So, lucky me in a way? Just goes to show it can always be worse. Good luck with yours. I've still gotta save up the money for mine.

Im not very good with pity but i do understand what it is like to have a hearing loss. I have worn hearing aids for at least 20 years. I can understand why you are borrowing your colleages hearing aid but if it is only one you are borrowing and you need 2 my concern would be that when wearing only 1 your hearing may feel off balance

My hearing loss was due to the Army, too many explosions and shooting without ear pro. But not like you can call time out in an engagement. I have severe hearing impairment in both ears as well as tinnitus. I can tell a huge improvement just from about 10 this morning. Look for grants and other things. If your credit is good they have a credit card type thing for health care stuff.