Thread: sap and wood pulp?

Default sap and wood pulp?

what is the difference between sap and woodpulp in diapers?

Quote Originally Posted by zackiepooh1992 View Post
    what is the difference between sap and woodpulp in diapers?
    the simple answer is that the one is a wood-pulp (Southern-pine-fluff to be precise, quoting my spouse and former wood-products mill manger... ). whereas.... and this is a quote from BASF themselves;
    Today’s superabsorbent polymers are made from partially neutralised, lightly cross-linked poly(acrylic acid), which has been proven to give the best performance versus cost ratio.

it was explained to me that the species "Southern-pine" is/was used because of it's singular ability/property to be cleansed in the pulping process of all the chemicals within that interfered with the finished pulps ability to freely absorb. Douglas-fir had been studied and even used in production for several years (early 80's) in the Longview area of Washington State, but it was found to retain much more of it's water-resting properties through the pulping process then was desirable. in other words, it didn't absorb nearly as well as Southern-pine-fluff....

and then superabsorbent polymers beat them all out and took over the market.

here is a short history of SAP;
    History of Super Absorbent Polymer Chemistry: SAP, Superabsorbent Polymer

Manufacturing baby diapers... please see below;
    How disposable diaper is made - material, manufacture, used, parts, components, product, industry, Raw Materials, The Manufacturing Process, Byproducts/Waste, Quality Control

How Disposable Nappies/Diapers Are Made - YouTube
    Last edited by littlelodgewrecker; 18-May-2013 at 21:02.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelodgewrecker View Post
    the simple answer is that the one is a wood-pulp (Southern-pine-fluff to be precise, quoting my spouse and former wood-products mill manger... ). whereas.... and this is a quote from BASF themselves;
    Today’s superabsorbent polymers are made from partially neutralised, lightly cross-linked poly(acrylic acid), which has been proven to give the best performance versus cost ratio.

it was explained to me that the species "Southern-pine" is/was used because of it's singular ability/property to be cleansed in the pulping process of all the chemicals within that interfered with the finished pulps ability to freely absorb. Douglas-fir had been studied and even used in production for several years (early 80's) in the Longview area of Washington State, but it was found to retain much more of it's water-resting properties through the pulping process then was desirable. in other words, it didn't absorb nearly as well as Southern-pine-fluff....

and then superabsorbent polymers beat them all out and took over the market.

here is a short history of SAP;
    History of Super Absorbent Polymer Chemistry: SAP, Superabsorbent Polymer
    My hero thank you my friend i have been wondering this for along time

And from a diaper-making perspective, they each have their uses - which is why diapers aren't either all one or the other.

Wood pulp wicks liquid and absorbs very quickly - however, it is relatively inefficient by weight/volume, and is more prone to press-out.

SAP does not wick or absorb as quickly as wood pulp - however, liquid is "locked in" to the polymer and does not press-out.

So diapers are made of both types of material to take advantage of the benefits of each.

The short answer is that pulp wicks moisture away and super-absorbant-polymer locks it up. You need both for a diaper to be effective, but different ratios can change how a diaper works and feels. The different absorbency ratings of some product lines are achieved mainly by tweaking that ratio.