Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YouTube

Default YouTube

Mr Alex made a thread about this a long time ago, but it was locked by dormancy. Post funny or interesting videos here!

I frequent Youtube many times for nostalgic reasons - streetcars, trains, clips from old TV shows, recording artists, movies - all from my younger years. One thing I also miss from childhood days is the old, manually operated elevators. To me, as a young child, they were a thrill ride of sorts. Seeing the floors whizzing past through the scissor gates made you feel you were traveling much faster than you actually were. They could be kind of scary to ride when you'd feel your stomach flip as they quickly stopped at each floor. Sadly, during the decade of the 1960s, most of them in North America were modernized and converted to automatic operation. However, a handful of building owners have retained the old cars and the operator jobs that go with them. I like seeing some of the human element retained in this age of automation. Here's a couple notable examples in the US from Youtube:

The Flat Iron Bldg. in Asheville, NC
    YouTube - Carolina Camera: The Elevator Lady

The Smith Tower in Seattle, WA
    YouTube - Otis elevator at the Smith Tower(With an elevator operator)

And this one is in Canada:

Gladstone Hotel Toronto, Canada
    YouTube - The Gladstone Cowboy

Do they look fun to ride or what?

~Pramrider

I don't know about nostalgia, but after I read your post I found something that us children of the 70's had to endure ( I actually remember watching this stuff when new. Maybe THIS will explain it.

THIS one is for Mandeh/ Abigail =P
    Last edited by Lil Snap; 02-Dec-2008 at 01:56. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by Pramrider View Post
    I frequent Youtube many times for nostalgic reasons - streetcars, trains, clips from old TV shows, recording artists, movies - all from my younger years. One thing I also miss from childhood days is the old, manually operated elevators. To me, as a young child, they were a thrill ride of sorts. Seeing the floors whizzing past through the scissor gates made you feel you were traveling much faster than you actually were. They could be kind of scary to ride when you'd feel your stomach flip as they quickly stopped at each floor. Sadly, during the decade of the 1960s, most of them in North America were modernized and converted to automatic operation. However, a handful of building owners have retained the old cars and the operator jobs that go with them. I like seeing some of the human element retained in this age of automation. Here's a couple notable examples in the US from Youtube:

The Flat Iron Bldg. in Asheville, NC
    YouTube - Carolina Camera: The Elevator Lady

The Smith Tower in Seattle, WA
    YouTube - Otis elevator at the Smith Tower(With an elevator operator)

And this one is in Canada:

Gladstone Hotel Toronto, Canada
    YouTube - The Gladstone Cowboy

Do they look fun to ride or what?

~Pramrider
    I been in the Smith Tower elevator, and I agree - it is really cool. I found all of the architectural features in that to be beautiful. The Chinese stuff upstairs was a little strange for the setting, though.

I watch the most random/insane stuff on Youtube. The latest weird/interesting this is a Dancing Jeep xD!

YouTube - jeep dance

This video is great:
    YouTube - Little Miss Sunshine (horror)

It takes bits from the film Little Miss Sunshine (which is a comedy) and re-cuts them to make a trailer for what seems to be a horror film. Quite funny if you've seen the film, but actually pretty interesting in general.

This is really funny too:
    YouTube - Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros-Flight of the Conchords
    It's the Flight Of the Concords.
    Comedic rapping.

YouTube - Sasuke And The "And Then - Problem"
    Haha, for those of you who have seen Dude, Where's My Car? This will bring back memories.

For those who haven't (like me) you're in for some random comedy.