Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever vaccum bag diapers?

Default Anyone ever vaccum bag diapers?

Time to put away a good amount of my diapers! Friends and family coming into town! Can I put diapers in a vac bag to save space- or will I ruin them by compressing them too much? Anyone ever tried this?

For some strange reason the other day I thought about this, though I have no real reason to. It could actually preserve the diapers since they wouldn't be subject to moisture in the air; you may be on to something

Interesting idea, I look forward to hearing if anyone has done this and what resulted as I could then justify buying in bulk.

CrinklySiren

Quote Originally Posted by MOPaddED View Post
    For some strange reason the other day I thought about this, though I have no real reason to. It could actually preserve the diapers since they wouldn't be subject to moisture in the air; you may be on to something
    I never realized that moisture in the air could damage diapers :S!!!! I live in Miami!! its humidity central! >_< i have diapers that i havent used in like 3 years -_-

Quote Originally Posted by ZooeySis View Post
    I never realized that moisture in the air could damage diapers :S!!!!
    I agree that humidity is unlikely to effect diapers, I'm more interested in reducing the overall bulk that a few hundred diapers take up and if compressing them has any adverse results.

I can't see it ruining diapers at all. You could just leave one in a bag for a day, wear it and see how it preforms.

I've used a giant "Press-out" bag before. Same concept, takes air out and doesn't let it back in. No adverse results, other than it thinning them up a bit.(L4 was a bit flatter)

Only potential downside might be flood absorbency would be reduced due to increased exposure times required for the wood pulp to start wicking.

Edit: I did this to carry some padding on a flight, didn't have much room.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    You could just leave one in a bag for a day, wear it and see how it preforms.
    I will! For science!

I see there's a baby diaper company that sells them vacuumed, and you can fit it in your pocket. I'm just worried there's differences in size/features that will mess them up. Not to mention the rough corners of plastic in these vacuum bags.

The bulky packs will stay as-is.I feel like they're already somewhat compressed, and there's no need to take them out just to re-bag them. But I have so many half-empty bags, and putting them in totes take up an surprising amount of space. I'll get a smaller vacuum bag to start with, leave it in for a day, and try it out.

Besides them maybe getting a cut in them, or messing up the leak guards- I'm mostly concerned with the padding being so compressed, that the pulp and sap won't 'expand' correctly like they do when coming out of packages.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
    I've used a giant "Press-out" bag before. Same concept, takes air out and doesn't let it back in. No adverse results, other than it thinning them up a bit.(L4 was a bit flatter)

Only potential downside might be flood absorbency would be reduced due to increased exposure times required for the wood pulp to start wicking.

Ah! I missed this while I was replying! Thanks for the review. How long did you let them sit out of the bag before wearing, and how long were they in it?
    I'll have some to use before I start opening the bag to wear the vacuumed ones again.... I'm hoping with enough time out of the bag, they'll return to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by lullingsea View Post

Ah! I missed this while I was replying! Thanks for the review. How long did you let them sit out of the bag before wearing, and how long were they in it?
    I'll have some to use before I start opening the bag to wear the vacuumed ones again.... I'm hoping with enough time out of the bag, they'll return to normal.
    It was only for two days, and they returned to normality after a day or so. The effect would probably be negligible if you merely shook the diaper(Unfolded) a bit to allow it to regain some air.

Dont the manufacturers compress diapers into the bags to save storage space and shipping space?
    Just fluff it out a bit before wearing it.

And yes, humid environment does affect a diaper in the long run.
    I had an open bag at a really good spot, (or so thought teenage me) stored hidden in my parents basement, not the driest environment.
    They all were half gelled up, and smelled funky too.