Thread: Weird Makeshift nappies!

Default Weird Makeshift nappies!

I Just thought it would be nice to list some of the more inventive ideas that many of us have attempted over the years to either simulate a nappy or to make a useable alternative

First up the first time I wet properly!
    I bought a pack of baby nappies and cut all the flaps off six of them and taped them using double sided to a plastic pvc sheet, I taped it around myself with about half a roll of tape and let go it worked a treat and felt great, the only problem was getting out of it I waddled around and had to cut myself out with a Stanley knife (carefully) and then kept letting the tape stick to me OWWWW!!!
    must be what it's like to wax!!!!!!!!

List a few of your own faux pas,

Nice fluffy terry towels is what I wear on top off a nice thick lille supreme fit maxis diaper,I don't often use a bath towell but the hand size which takes little effort with diaper pins to get the right fit and I finish off with a very large pair of plastic babypants awesome.one day I will treat myself to proper adult sized terry diapers

Only alternative I ever tried was a bath towel folded into a long rectangle and put inside a carrier bag (with leg holes cut out) and then kept it all up with a large pair of boxers. Kind of worked...

I just use sanitary napkins if I want to wet a bit, but one time (a few months ago) I tried wrapping a flannel pajama top around myself like a diaper. Lol. After that I tried a cut open pillow case and tape. Now I use a towel and pins.

Years ago I used to buy the Curity pre-fold cloth baby diapers. I could get into Gerber toddler sized plastic pants. I would line my brief underpants with two cloth diapers and then the Gerber plastic pants. I was in baby heaven. I also discovered that I could pin a Curity flat diaper around me, with no folds, so I would line one of those with two cloth pre-fold diapers and then the plastic pants. Again, more baby heaven. I sometimes still do it as it feels so genuinely babyish.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Years ago I used to buy the Curity pre-fold cloth baby diapers. I could get into Gerber toddler sized plastic pants. I would line my brief underpants with two cloth diapers and then the Gerber plastic pants. I was in baby heaven. I also discovered that I could pin a Curity flat diaper around me, with no folds, so I would line one of those with two cloth pre-fold diapers and then the plastic pants. Again, more baby heaven. I sometimes still do it as it feels so genuinely babyish.
    I was raised in those Curity prefolds, and because my parents kept them around for rags after my sister and I were potty-trained, they immediately became the subject of my diaper interest. Until I was perhaps eight or nine years old, I could pin them on somewhat normally, but after that I had to play Dr. Franken-diaper. My favorite thing to do was to fold one diaper along a diagonal, then pin it to the end of another diaper (illustrated here). I'd then stack a few more diapers on top for extra thickness. I did this for years, and it worked very well.

Recently, upon getting back into cloth diapers, I picked up some XL toddler prefolds to use as stuffers, and found that I could still pin two of them together and wear them like that. I also ended up with a stack of the Curity prefolds (including a few from my parents' house that I actually wore as a baby!), but they are just a bit too small for me to wear now. They are wonderfully soft and make excellent stuffers, though.

I still have mine from when I was a young father, and occasionally use them. Like you, I was diapered in cloth as a baby along with plastic pants. I think what adds to the desire is that as we grew up, 6 years old, 7, we either saw siblings or neighbor's babies in cloth diapers and plastic, and if we were attracted to diapers, the allure was overwhelming. I can't really remember myself in diapers, but I can remember my friends younger siblings in diapers, as well as neighbor's children. I also remember all those cloth diapers drying on clothes lines, so the allure is etched into some of my fondest, youngest memories.

I'm sure it's like this for our younger members who were raised in plastic backed disposables, etc. Even though they wouldn't necessarily remember themselves in diapers, their siblings and friends were in them, the diaper making some sort of lasting connection. And here we all are!

This wasn't terribly long ago, but I used to make them from scratch with paper towels and tape. You wouldn't believe how thin the paper towel roll would get after I was done with it! If I had enough time to myself I would quickly get a new one and replace the roll. I would also turn on the fan to mask the tape and rustling noises. It took a lot of experimentation to get it right and in the end, it was more like a pad than a full-fledged diaper. The tape was a nuisance though; it would come undone and prick me at times, ruining the experience altogether.

And if we're going way back, I would use my quilt or blanket. I came up with the most interesting ways to create the feeling of a diaper, and I must say those were the biggest and thickest "diapers" I've ever worn. I can faintly remember the steps, but I doubt I'd be able to do it now.

Buying them is much easier, but it still takes me a while to work up the nerve, hehe. Hopefully the pack of Goodnites will last the summer. :3