Thread: Women in Action Films, from an AB/DL Perspective

Default Women in Action Films, from an AB/DL Perspective

I am an anthropology student and I came across this really interesting video describing the roles of women in action films, and while it may seem unrelated to AB/DLism, I am interested to hear a different take on it.

What do you guys think? As a community with an inherently alternative form of sexuality, I am interested to know what your thoughts are on the subject in the video, and how they might vary from so-called people of "normal," or as I would call it, "boring" sexuality.

If you haven't already, check out this recent thread Objectification of Women in the ABDL community you'll probably be interested.

First thought I had was: there are a lot of Lara Crofts in ABDL fiction - that's attractive women who live out the fantasies of the men who create them and the male audience.

I don't watch action movies a whole lot, because in the same way that I'm lyrics over music, I'm dialogue over action...

There aren't a whole lot of women in the armed forces (in most countries, and certainly not in combat roles) and their aren't many women gangsters, or terrorists. Given the subject matter of most action films it's not surprising that there aren't many women in them. Rather than just the genre of action, what's more troubling is that on an industry wide level, there are few films of any type which market to women, or have a gender balanced lead characters, or women writers... It's not that we're missing out on "Women's pictures" but a lack of good, interesting films, with good actresses playing interesting characters, written by good women writers.

After watching the linked video, there's a few items I'd like to comment on.

First of, regarding Alien. I'll admit there's a scene or two where it looks like the wardrobe department might have gotten the clothing a size or two too small to pander to the male audience. In Terminator, every time I watch it, I tend to fast forward through the love scene because it offers nothing of interest to me.

Now, with all that being said, let me offer something to think about. A lot of guys would like to see sexualized women in films because of skimpy clothing (or no clothing at al) etc etc. But for me, it's a different take of what they're wearing. For an example, in Terminator 2 Judgement Day, when Sarah Connor tries to kill Dyson, she's wearing the black commando style uniform with the huge guns. Personally speaking, the way she dresses and carries herself is a bit of a turn on.

I must be the only one to have had a crush on female characters like Ripley in the Alien movies, and Sarah Connor in the Terminator movies because they don't need bikinis or full on nudity to be attractive. They just needed to show they can kick a$$ and take names even while fully dressed.

I'll admit, the whole point of this thread PROBABLY went over my head...