Thread: frustrated

Default frustrated

Hi,
    this is not realted to Abdl stuff (thats obvius if its in this section :P), is just that i need to type this in some place, and people here is awesome :P...
    Im a medical student, just started. You usually hear that is a hard career, that you need to study a lot, and even if you were the best in school, sometimes poeple cant do it...
    well, i was the best at my school (here in my country you can start medical school rihht after high school, but its a 6 years career), I got an awesome score in the test that my coutry does when you are gonna graduate, and I alway thought i would be able to hand this career...
    Well, i just began in january, and I found all they say about medicine its true, its a hard career... A lot of things to memorize (not one of my best quialities) intead of procces to udnerstand, I havent be able to handle it, im failing the most important subject, and If if fail it I could have to repeat all this semester...
    This wouldnt be a problem if i were like all other stundets there, that can pay and repeat the semester again, but i cant do that.... And im sure if i fail, my family wouldnt help me anymore with university payments, I have done my best , but I just cant do it... Has anyone being in a situtation like this? that you do your best bust just fail?

Quote Originally Posted by Juanf View Post
    Hi,
    this is not realted to Abdl stuff (thats obvius if its in this section :P), is just that i need to type this in some place, and people here is awesome :P...
    Im a medical student, just started. You usually hear that is a hard career, that you need to study a lot, and even if you were the best in school, sometimes poeple cant do it...
    well, i was the best at my school (here in my country you can start medical school rihht after high school, but its a 6 years career), I got an awesome score in the test that my coutry does when you are gonna graduate, and I alway thought i would be able to hand this career...
    Well, i just began in january, and I found all they say about medicine its true, its a hard career... A lot of things to memorize (not one of my best quialities) intead of procces to udnerstand, I havent be able to handle it, im failing the most important subject, and If if fail it I could have to repeat all this semester...
    This wouldnt be a problem if i were like all other stundets there, that can pay and repeat the semester again, but i cant do that.... And im sure if i fail, my family wouldnt help me anymore with university payments, I have done my best , but I just cant do it... Has anyone being in a situtation like this? that you do your best bust just fail?
    I was in the top 10 percent of my high school class, yet when I went to college, I had two F's the first semester, and three D's the second. The bar is so much higher at the next level, and I was a music student, not pre-med. First, I would talk to my parents. Even if they can't afford it, there may be loans. The first year is usually the toughest, so repeating it may not be unusual. I would at least try. We need good doctors. If that seems out of the question, work for a year raising the money and try again. It takes a long time to be a doctor. If that doesn't work, there are other fields in the medical profession. What ever you do, don't give up.

Thank you dogboy, I really have tried those options, but here in my country is not as easy as in the us (or as i think is there :P) ... Finding a job here is not easy without a profession, even with a profession is hard.
    Its not premed, is medicine; the thing here is that you go directly to medical school after high school, 6 years. In the us I think it is 4 years o Bachellor in science and 4 years of medical school later, isnt it?Im in the best private medical school here, and I was sure I could do it, but the level is just too high for me, people is really smart there. I have tried to find a loan, but you need to find someone that in case you dont pay, would take responsabiltie for that money, not a lot of poeple do that, and my parents arent suitable for that (because of the age).
    Its a difficult situation, I have still 1 month, and it will decide everything... I dont know if the best decition if i fail this semester is to try again, or change to other career... I love medicine, but if im not gonna be able, why keep trying?

Hello Juanf
    I worked my way through College knowing I had dislexia and it took 6years for a 4 year digree. But like you have all ready noted that was in The USA. Many years later I found out that I also had ADHD which explained a lot of problems I had with getting all the details during lecture.

I wish I had a great suggestion but then again it costs time and money. Taping lectures to relisten to them over and over, and also making flash cards or color coding like subjects is memory tools that are recomended for ADD/ADHD.

THe route that Dogboy suggested is viable, but there again in the USA. I was intersted in Medician, but as I went through school I found that I was more interested in doing the hands on lab work then the actual patient/doctor side of medician. IS there any routes of that nature available to you in Columbia?

I am not sure how receptive these groups would be, but could you offer to work with the Red Cross or even the US military. I know things have changed over the last 15 years but when I was doing biomedical research there was several groups of that nature with "clinics/missions" in Central america (which covers a lot more the columbia) that where always asking for lab tecks and behind the scene help. This is just a thought, and I hope it gives you some options.

This is the nice thing about a group like this, we can help with networking and SUPPORT. Good luck! If medician is your hearts desire there is a way to do it.

JUst a side note. I was not a doctor, but because of the research I did, I myself and my kids are here to day because I did the dirty work for the doctors to find the treatment for what is now not a big deal.

Is there a professor or some one at your school that you could talk to about it, if you haven't already? It has been my experience that when you are paying for your education, the Instructors, teachers, professors or whatever, have a greater appreciation for your education and would do what they can to help you succeed. at least at the small community college i went to. but you have to say something to someone, No one can help you if they don't know you need it.
    It is good that you ask for help among your peers. If you are determined in your goals then problems like this wont hold you back, rather inspire you to problem solve you way through to your goals.
    maybe try and ask someone that is studying that subject to study with you? maybe even be honest and say you could really use the help?
    I'm sorry but that is all I can offer you, I hope it helps
    Good luck to you.

Especially medicine, jura, psychology and business administration have this typical manner to sort the wheat from the chaff in the first semester, figuratively speaking.

It's your choice in the end, if you want to keep on trying. While it may seem horrible at first, it's no shame if you may fail the first semester and have to try again. But if this is your wish to go for this career, than go for it.

If you're not sure, if it may be the right thing ultimately, since you also may have other wish-jobs, you could think of and since furthermore you seem to have the grades to go nearly anywhere you want.... think about it. As already mentioned, there is a lot of counselling on the most universitys, so go check that out, if you're not sure.

But if you want to stick to medicine, well be prepared. As you already know, it's a lot of stupid memorizing simply. Not that much to read, understand and tell with your own words, just a stupid learning, where you need to know things word for words.... except biochemical stuff (kidneys, liver, and so on), which is hard as hell, as far as I've heard from some friends.
    So you need to take your time for that. Don't wait till the last moment.... well I guess hopefully, you know how to memorize.
    Although maybe, if you're not satisfied with your method, you could try a different, like cue/record cards learning, auditory learning and so on.

It will take a lot of time in the end, no way around that. And, since grades have been mentioned. You can be as smart as you want to be, but with this stuff... A person, which seems to be way more "common", can actually be way better than you, simply, since he's used to always memorize stuff from the beginning and not to interpret it.
    As long as you pass... don't worry, but you need to at least. The end matters. Although there's an old saying in my country, that the doctor's with the worst grades are usually the best in a certain field. ^_-

About your loans... if you really want to get this grade and do everything that's possible to get it.... can't you just simply fill in your parents as this second faction as the security part, if you may not be able to pay? Just don't end up failing it in the end... but this could also be another encouragement, kind of, also more stress on the other hand...

Anyway, good luck and take the right choice for you, it's your life after all.