Thread: Piston Bicycles anyone?

Default Piston Bicycles anyone?

I make motorized bicycles meaning (if you haven't figured it) I take bicycles and add motors to them. Have made two for myself and helped a few friends build theirs. this is my flavor for this month and there are many people into this great American subculture including a guy named Davidson and some jerk named Harley back in 1903.
    anyway, went looking through the group section and couldn't find one. found a biker group and a bicyclist group but none for this really fun hobby. I was thinking of creating one but am wondering if I would be the only one in it? also I'm not much of a moderator or group leader or anything like that, hell I work on my bike too much to spend time on line........
    so point is, if there are any of you that are also into this hobby that wish to share ideas, new builds, show off your bikes and help out with the laws behind these things and so on. please comment. two or more and I'll start a group and try keep it working till I'm the last one riding it

"We are in the hands of a mad man.
    If I where the supreme being I wouldn't have fluttered about with butterflies and daffodils. I would've started with LASERS! 8 o-clock! day one!"

I always wanted to build one, but they aren't street legal here in Michigan unless you can register it as either a moped or a motorcycle. Mopeds have to be under 50cc and require at least one mirror, headlights, tail lights and turn signals. They also can't have a gearshift. I have a motorcycle now so there isn't much point to owning one but I'd love to build one just for fun! All of the designs I came up with would require a motorcycle registration, just because of the equipment laws. For my favorite design, I'd use a 7 speed bicycle transmission coupled straight to the engine via centrifugal clutch and a jackshaft. I'd mount it to a beach cruiser frame and cut the pedals off with a saw, and weld some custom footrests to the frame. I'd paint it black with red rims and throw some whitewall tires and a set of ape hangers on it. I'd use a small 4-stroke engine so I don't have to pre-mix fuel, and probably try and modify an old motorcycle gas tank to use.

Quote Originally Posted by shunbaby1 View Post
    I make motorized bicycles meaning (if you haven't figured it) I take bicycles and add motors to them. Have made two for myself and helped a few friends build theirs. this is my flavor for this month and there are many people into this great American subculture including a guy named Davidson and some jerk named Harley back in 1903.
    anyway, went looking through the group section and couldn't find one. found a biker group and a bicyclist group but none for this really fun hobby. I was thinking of creating one but am wondering if I would be the only one in it? also I'm not much of a moderator or group leader or anything like that, hell I work on my bike too much to spend time on line........
    so point is, if there are any of you that are also into this hobby that wish to share ideas, new builds, show off your bikes and help out with the laws behind these things and so on. please comment. two or more and I'll start a group and try keep it working till I'm the last one riding it

"We are in the hands of a mad man.
    If I where the supreme being I wouldn't have fluttered about with butterflies and daffodils. I would've started with LASERS! 8 o-clock! day one!"
    To bad you can't find an old Whizzer Motor Bike. There were a lot them around in the early 50's. Most of them were on frames with 26" wheels. They also had
    another model called the Pacemaker on 24" wheels. You could either run them on the engine or pedal them like a norma bicycle. I rode a couple of them but never
    owned one.

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    To bad you can't find an old Whizzer Motor Bike. There were a lot them around in the early 50's. Most of them were on frames with 26" wheels. They also had
    another model called the Pacemaker on 24" wheels. You could either run them on the engine or pedal them like a norma bicycle. I rode a couple of them but never
    owned one.
    There were reproductions being made circa 2002-2006, the brakes were really scary from what was relayed to me. BTDT on adding engines to bicycles, I'm quite content to focus on purpose-built mopeds

please don't take this wrong;
    but where the hell in the back-woods of oregon did you ever get the idea of putting a gas engine on a bicycle?
    (i grew-up there)
    i have some small passing interest in this area.....

See this old topic, http://www.adisc.org/forum/off-topic...own-one-2.html , I managed over 800 miles on that bike last year and am working on a few better designs for this summer, CVT transmission from a pocket bike and a 3 speed transmission from a walk mower. The single speed concept doesn't work in the hills.

didn't learn it in no dadgum backwoods. I learnt it when I lived in the jungles of Hawai'i bra! lol. I brought the idea back home with me. Its kind of an American ingenuity thing. building funky things in your garage with spare stuff. and i kinda like the gas mileage!
    Thanx Nam Repaid. you know what I"m talking about!

- - - Updated - - -

Runner, Digger, Listener, Prince of a thousand enemies.

- - - Updated - - -

great book btw.

- - - Updated - - -

just mind you don't cross my varoodoodoo! lol

Quote Originally Posted by shunbaby1 View Post
    didn't learn it in no dadgum backwoods. I learnt it when I lived in the jungles of Hawai'i bra! lol. I brought the idea back home with me. Its kind of an American ingenuity thing. building funky things in your garage with spare stuff. and i kinda like the gas mileage!
    Thanx Nam Repaid. you know what I"m talking about!

- - - Updated - - -

Runner, Digger, Listener, Prince of a thousand enemies.

- - - Updated - - -

great book btw.

- - - Updated - - -

just mind you don't cross my varoodoodoo! lol
    mahalo, shunbaby....
    i was on Oahu for a while. and saw Maui and Kauai too.... actually, i saw the whole chain, but those are the only ones i set foot on.

i am glad that you know the book and understand the references. many don't.... years ago before i was in the Navy, i had the occasion to build a tandem bike... very early 70's... to which i got the great idea of adding a small Briggs and Stration 3HP engine. the thing would do about 35 and pull a small trailer with camping supply's. it wasn't long after that oregon decided to impose a moped law on such contraptions....

I have built four of these, my first one was unreliable so I sold it and decided to buy a better engine and bike and make a good one. I rode that one for three years straight, the odometer I had on it was at 4300 km and she was still going strong with very few problems! Then one day I was downtown and got into a heinous accident, woke up in the hospital.

After that I built another one but just couldn't get the hang of it again; fear I suspect. So I thought I would just build and sell them for a profit.
    Well my first attempt at being a salesman only brought in $5 so I gave up... Definitely not a salesperson.

I was thinking of putting a 50cc two stroke on my push bike. But here in newzealand I would pay higher vehicle licensing fees for it than I do for my pick up truck.