Thread: Help with Audacity

Default Help with Audacity

Maybe somebody could help me figure out my problem with Audacity here. I tried registering on Audacity's forum, but never got the activation email. Heres my current problem.

I downloaded Audacity off Ubuntu and I am trying to figure out how to get the effects from nyquest. I go in my files, click on usr then share then audacity then nyquest. All the files are there with the extension .ny but I'm not sure how to go along with extracting them. The FAQ on Audacity's website didn't much help me other than how to locate them. Can anyone help me out here who's used Audacity?

Is this what you're looking for:

Download Nyquist Plug-ins - Audacity Wiki

Nyquist plug-ins may be available as plain text files with the file extension .NY, or as a ZIP archive file. The NY file must be extracted from the ZIP archive before it can be used. To install Nyquist plug-ins, place the NY file in the Plug-Ins folder inside the Audacity installation folder.

• On Windows computers, this is usually at C:\Program Files\Audacity ( or C:\Program Files\Audacity 1.3 Beta (Unicode) in legacy 1.3 versions ). On 64-bit Windows this directory will be "Program Files (x86)" then as appropriate.
    • On Mac OS X, it is usually under /Applications.
    • On Linux this is usually /usr/share/audacity/ if you installed a repository package of Audacity or /usr/local/share/audacity if you compiled Audacity. Note: You must log in as root to access /usr. Repository packages of Audacity may overwrite this folder. An easier alternative may be to create ~/.audacity-files/plug-ins/ in your home folder (the "." in the path means it is a hidden folder).

Restart Audacity, then the plug-ins will appear underneath the divider in the "Effect", "Generate" or "Analyze" menus.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Is this what you're looking for:

Download Nyquist Plug-ins - Audacity Wiki
    I looked it this. It only tells you where the files are located, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Balto91 View Post
    I looked it this. It only tells you where the files are located, nothing more.
    Okay... I don't really use Audacity, and I've never heard of Nyquist, but...

From what you were saying, it sounded like the Nyquist (.ny) files were in the wrong directory. You said they were in /usr/share/audacity/. They should be in /usr/share/audacity/plug-ins/. Although, with the warning about your package manager overwriting the files, it would probably be better to put them in ~/.audacity-files/plug-ins/.

Do the plug-ins appear in underneath the divider in the "Effect", "Generate" or "Analyze"?

Well they appear under "Effects" but cannot be used. And Audacity when I got it off Ubuntus software center, it was already in that directory. I looked in the plug ins folder which was in usr/share but not audacity. On the Audacity website, it notes I should extract the Nyquist files to a ZIP archive but I dont know where or how to locate that.

I'm guessing that Audacity comes with some Nyquist plugins that should be set up already. And the instructions which say you should extract the .ny files from the zip archive (not the other way round) are probably for other plugins that you subsequently download.

Which plug-in file and effect are you trying to use?