Thread: Injured stray cat / feeling helpless

Default Injured stray cat / feeling helpless

Upon getting to my door this evening after work I startled a cat laying nearby. As it scurried off I noticed that it's mechanics seemed off and looked either injured or drugged. It was a black cat and kept to the shadows so I couldn't exactly see what was wrong.

I went back out with a flashlight to see if I could help it. It was afraid and wouldn't let me near it. I could see that it had almost no ability in it's hind legs.
    My heart sank. I had seen him/her around before and it didn't have mobility problems before so I am now sure it was injured.

I called the Humane Society and SPCA but got no answers as they are closed at night.

I absolutely feel helpless and can only sit here thinking of it out there suffering. I usually try not to let my feelings overrun my practical thinking but when it comes to animals I cannot help it.

Sorry. I am not sure this is actual thread material but am wondering if anyone has had a similar scenario and what they did.
    Last edited by ilostthesheriff; 09-May-2013 at 12:18.

welding gloves come in handy for handling injured animals
    can't remember the last one i 'rescued', but Harry The Hedgehog will suffice:
    it's hind leg was 'dead', probably mauled by a cat, and it was crawling about outside our house. welding gloves on, i put it in a cosy box for the night and took it to a nearby hedgehog rescue centre the next day.

alas, i couldn't do anything to save the beheaded chick that i found the other day (bloody cats!).
    as we sow......

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    welding gloves come in handy for handling injured animals
    can't remember the last one i 'rescued', but Harry The Hedgehog will suffice:
    it's hind leg was 'dead', probably mauled by a cat, and it was crawling about outside our house. welding gloves on, i put it in a cosy box for the night and took it to a nearby hedgehog rescue centre the next day.

alas, i couldn't do anything to save the beheaded chick that i found the other day (bloody cats!).
    as we sow......
    Thanks. The last part "as we sow......" put it into perspective for me. This cat perhaps has mutilated without prejudice itself. This context helps remind me that nature takes it's course. It was hard to watch though.