Thread: Etiquette on Changing in a public bathroom

Default Etiquette on Changing in a public bathroom

Ok, so on the way home from work today I was padded and relieved myself as I do from time to time during the drive home. Then I remembered that I needed to pick up a few things from the store so I stopped by Target.
    I was very wet and felt that changing would be in my best interest so I hit the bathroom with my spare diaper under my shirt for a change. While I'm in the stall changing, I hear someone come into the bathroom and start to change out the trash bags. No problem right?? Only when I leave the stall, the bathroom is completely empty, the only trashcan has no bag and I'm holding a soaking wet diaper in my hand.

Ok, so I HATE inconveniencing others with my wet diapers (while staying in hotels, I bring my own bags and take them out my self if I can) but I'm not about to walk out of the bathroom with one under my arm while I look for another trashcan. So I placed my wet diaper in the empty trashcan for someone else to pick up.. and hurry out as quickly as I can.

Anyone have any ideas on what I could have done better? or encountered a similar situation? It has never occurred to me that I may need to bring my own bags into a public bathroom...

If I wear in public I always keep a rolled up plastic shopping bag to wrap the diaper in in the event I need to change. It helps disguise the diaper when going from stall to trashcan, and would probably make it a little less unpleasant for the janitor to deal with when taking out bathroom trash.

I used to clean bathrooms. If they didn't leave a bag in the trash, then the consequences are no one's fault but their own.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    I used to clean bathrooms. If they didn't leave a bag in the trash, then the consequences are no one's fault but their own.
    I agree with this. However in the future you could go the extra mile and always make sure you have at least one nappy bag with you so that nobody would have to deal with an open one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
    I agree with this. However in the future you could go the extra mile and always make sure you have at least one nappy bag with you so that nobody would have to deal with an open one.
    Agreed, It isn't as though carrying around an extra bag would be trouble as I obviously already carry around extra diapers. Thanks for the insight.

Carry each of your spare diapers inside a bag. I think that's both convenient and clean. :-)

Zodiac has it right. Packing your spare in the bag that you are going to use for disposal is the easiest and most discrete way. If I'm going someplace I am unfamiliar I always just take my diaper bag anyhow. Usually I use a small backpack. If there's no suitable trash in the rr, I pack the dirty back out and dispose of it elsewhere. On several of the places I am familiar with (like the mall near my office), I'll just pack in the diaper in my coat pocket and roll it up and toss it in the trash (lined can). One of my favorite places is the local fast food place that put a diaper genie in the stall next to the changing table (I don't use the changing table obviously but I do dispose of my diaper in the genie).