Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you get up in the morning?

Default Why do you get up in the morning?

As the title reads. What motivates you to leave the comfort of your bed, to actually take action? What could possibly be important enough that you risk failure in the hopes that maybe, just maybe you'll succeed?

Miracle Max - YouTube

Mine is this driving need I have to improve myself. Progression, progression, progression, like drums in The Master's head. If not myself, then others. If not immediately, then eventually. If not eventually, move on to somebody else. But I can never stop moving. I have to improve, or else I'll sit stagnant, and then someday I'll die. And while others can justly mock me for my errors and shortcomings, no man will be able to look me in the eye if I have done all that I could.

Mine is the idea that my very existence in the everyday lives of everybody I know and love, whether it be online or offline, can benefit them in some way.

That if they're going through some kind of dilemma that I could be there to help them through it, that if they're down and out in the head I can find some way to make them smile and if I can somehow manage to make one person feel good about themselves, about life or just make themselves feel better, I would have succeeded in doing something good.

The fact that if one day I just decided to, for whatever reason, not wake up or just drop dead, I can guarantee I would be missed by quite a few people because of how much of an impact on said peoples lives I made.

It's really just trying to make a difference in other peoples lives while trying to be somebody that people can rely on and if I was to be wiped off this earth, I hope to me missed.

That, to answer your question, is what keeps me waking up in the morning...that and my alarm

I'm a very excitable person. When I wake up my mind races with all the possibilities of the day. Right now, every time I wake up I mentally tick off another 'sleep' until my fiance moves in with me. Once he's moved in I'll be counting down until the wedding. Tomorrow I'm going to see a show, and the day after I'm going to view a limited edition Vespa. Why wouldn't I want to get up?

Life is fun, I'm young, I've (mostly) got my health, and I'm surrounded by people who love me. I'm pursuing my dreams through education, which is provided free of charge!

It confuses me when people say they have no drive to get out of bed every day - it's not something I can relate to. But I've been there, and I still don't know why I felt like that. But right now, I'm not!

(Also, I got some REALLY awesome grapefruit body wash, which makes me smell nice, and it tastes nice when I lick my arm... it's fun to shower!!)

a fag and a brew.

okay, it's a little bit more complicated now, being injured and all, in that the pain of being laid also motivates a getting up.

Quote Originally Posted by FIDAD View Post
    As the title reads. What motivates you to leave the comfort of your bed, to actually take action? What could possibly be important enough that you risk failure in the hopes that maybe, just maybe you'll succeed?
    Is it really like this for most people? You ask what could possibly be important enough to risk failure. I think the issue is that this is nonsensical attitude.

I'm temporarily working in non-commission retail during the layover until my PhD starts. If I succeed at my job, I get paid. If I fail at my job, I get paid. And it's hard to fail at my job. I get up, go to work, get paid, go home. And if I do fail at my job, 99% of the time it's not a big deal. Oh, look. I stocked the hammers under the wrong price. I'll move them. There, fixed. A person who works at my job with fear of failure has serious psychological issues.

On the other hand, my career is in medical research. I've done work with diabetes and HIV in the past. My new program does a lot of work with malaria. My advisor works with flaviviruses. So I guess I'd say that you could consider my work importance enough to risk failure in hopes of success. But that misses the point. No one should fear failure. You accept failure as an occasional inevitability resulting from the inherent uncontrollable nature of the universe. Failure happens. Sometimes, it happens frequently. Some assays I've run that fail more often than they succeed under the best of conditions. If I feared failure, I'd be reduced to a quivering mass of uselessness. Failure happens. If you succeed, awesome. If you don't, meh, it happens. Try again.

I hate sleeping! If anything, I wish I never had to go to bed at night! All the people I love, the people I love to talk to, the friends I might meet.. the things I can do. We live in an age of just so much entertainment, so much creativity and wonder! Delicious food and fun toys, people who count on me to be around. Every day just feels exciting, and even at just 23 I can't help but start being scared there isn't enough of them.

I just love getting out of the bed in the morning. A brand new day full of possibilities. The world lifts me out every morning, the world is my motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    No one should fear failure. You accept failure as an occasional inevitability resulting from the inherent uncontrollable nature of the universe. Failure happens. Sometimes, it happens frequently. Some assays I've run that fail more often than they succeed under the best of conditions. If I feared failure, I'd be reduced to a quivering mass of uselessness. Failure happens. If you succeed, awesome. If you don't, meh, it happens. Try again.
    Exactly. I'm of the same mindset. Failure isn't something to be feared, but a risk to be calculated and weighed against. I posed the question like that, as I've seen quite a few friends use it as a reason for their depression. Thanks for putting it into the words I couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Braddeh View Post
    Mine is the idea that my very existence in the everyday lives of everybody I know and love, whether it be online or offline, can benefit them in some way.

That if they're going through some kind of dilemma that I could be there to help them through it, that if they're down and out in the head I can find some way to make them smile and if I can somehow manage to make one person feel good about themselves, about life or just make themselves feel better, I would have succeeded in doing something good.
    You have succeeded.

My overall reason to get up in the morning is really close to what Giggle and Talula have said. I usually am a really happy person and I just get excited thinking about all the things I could do that day. A lot of times I used to wake myself too early by accident because I'd half-wake up and then start thinking about a nice cup of tea and a book I've been reading, or a game I've been playing, and suddenly I'm literally too excited about life to go back to sleep.

What a silly question. Hygiene is tops, then food, smokes, work, gotta tend to the cat's needs, all that junk. Staying in bed is lame, there are cooler things to do.

Lying in bed is boring and I have work to do these days. Relaxing is fun and all but after a while I have to be doing something and often that requires getting out of bed.