Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EA no longer paying Gun Makers for licensing

Default EA no longer paying Gun Makers for licensing

The video game publisher/developer EA (Electronic Arts) plans to no longer pay gun companies for the rights to use the name, designs and likeness of their products.

This wouldn't be a big deal but Battlefield is a HUGE cash cow for EA and it prides itself on being one of the more realistic first person shooters. BF3 has muzzle velocity's with bullet drop, no wind though. This means they only uses real weapons such as m4a1, AK-47u, M60, PKP's, M240b, SKS, fully automatic G18 pistol's and many other different guns. There are never any brands attached to these guns they are just called by their model's.

EA thinks they are able to not pay the gun companies for rights and/or royalties since books don't have to pay if they use Colt 45's.

kotaku.com ea-wont-be-paying-for-real-guns-in-video-games-anymore

Kotaku? Ugh.

But good. EA is probably running out of money to do so. I hope they crash and burn.

I can see why they would do this, I mean, its not like they got any bad publicity recently right?...........

Quote Originally Posted by Gstring View Post
    Interesting. Any ideas why?
    IMHO I think they are doing it just to save money and maybe say they dont give gun companies money anymore. But it's about saving any money they can.

Are they in a tough spot financially because of the SimCity fiasco? I don't see how this could be anything other than a move of desperation since Battlefield is marketed as the 'most realistic shooter' or whatever.

We will see how this pans out in court. With some guns like AR-15 derivatives you would have a hard time saying that the gun in the game could only be made by x-company. But for newer guns that are only made by one manufacturer that could be an issue.

Their statement about how you don't pay royalties for using a product in a book does not hold water. The type of gadgets used by the characters is not a main selling point of a book while the type of guns used in a video game is.

I hope that EA fails eventually, they only rush out titles to the masses and don't give enough time for games to be...uhhh what's that word... to make the game it's own going beyond a new storyline or roster change. The developers are given too little time to bring any significant changes or improvements.

Even though not everyone is in to sports games, but I am. The NBA Live series that EA "had" been producing is no longer in production because of this. Its a prime example. They kept chucking out roster changes every year and did almost nothing to try and improve the game. I remember nothing at all had really changed since I first played the game in 1994. Of course the graphics became stunning, but, the gameplay has been the same. The analog sticks added a new level as far as moves are concerned. Yes it is basketball, and I understand that it is virtual reality. You play the NBA Live in PS2 or Xbox, and play the most current title, it would feel no different at all.

Maybe it will take a failure to realize that to make money on a new version of a series of games, putting 2 on the end of it isn't going to keep your sales up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gstring View Post
    Are they in a tough spot financially because of the SimCity fiasco? I don't see how this could be anything other than a move of desperation since Battlefield is marketed as the 'most realistic shooter' or whatever.
    the ARMA series is likely the most touted for realism. Though it's ARMA 3 beta had it's issues.

But again. EA isn't hurting for money. But they'll try and save every penny they possibly can if it's reasonable.

EA stocks did crash in 2008 but haven't recovered at all. But as a publisher they are pretty self sustaining. They sold more FIFA then last year's edition and I think BF3 sold more then Bad Company 2. Then Mass Effect as a series was HUGE and a fantastic series until the *very* end.

Gun politics aside, the world will be a better place once EA finally kicks the bucket.

They have an uncanny ability to suck the life out of game franchises that SHOULD have been completely awesome. Screw them.