Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: According a new report gun violence in the US has fallen DRAMATICALLY over the past 20 years

Default According a new report gun violence in the US has fallen DRAMATICALLY over the past 20 years

Gun violence in US has fallen dramatically over past 20 years, Justice Dept. report finds - U.S. News Guns however still remain the go to weapon for any type of crime. What are your thoughts on all of this?

Statistics are all in the eye of the beholder. They can be misused, misconstrued, misrepresented and even manipulated into supporting whatever position a person desires. As my stats instructor once mentioned, "correlation does not always equal causation and there is no such thing as being 100% sure of something."

Quote Originally Posted by MokatheGroundhog View Post
    Gun violence in US has fallen dramatically over past 20 years, Justice Dept. report finds - U.S. News Guns however still remain the go to weapon for any type of crime. What are your thoughts on all of this?
    I agree with this holding despite the media's best attempt to bastardize it.

Crime levels seem to be dropping steadily. There was a fear that crime in the UK would increase with the various cutbacks due to the banking crisis... but, despite poverty being on the rise and police funding being down, crime has still been falling. It looks like the world (or at least the US and UK) are getting safer every day... Either that or government statisticians public relations managers are getting consistently better at "representing facts *ahem* in a media friendly *ahem ahem* way"... Who knows...?

BBC News - Is Britain behaving better?
    BBC News - UK Peace Index highlights rate of fall in violent crime
    BBC News - Crime data: Homicide at 30-year England and Wales low
    BBC News - Met Police says youth violence 'fell 30%' in a year
    BBC News - Knife crime down by 25% in West Midlands
    BBC News - Violent crime down by 17% in Scotland

I see the article shows how incredibly easy it is for criminals to obtain guns in the US, though. Whether gun crime is decreasing or not, it still makes sense to increase gun controls. Every time a person brandishes a gun in public, with a view to terrorising (if not injuring or killing) people, it's one time too many.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I think this is a "loaded" question.
    It's that terrible journalist Rick O'Shea at it again!

I'm guessing that gun crime has fallen but with 24 hour news and the internet it seems like they're more. Same with paedophilia really, they're aren't really any more incidents than there were 20 years ago but with news being blasted all the time it seems like there is one on every road just waiting for your child so he can make his move.

Quote Originally Posted by MokatheGroundhog View Post
    Because the amount of people still dying from guns every year is a acceptable amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Because the amount of people still dying from guns every year is a acceptable amount.
    because sarcasm wins debates.

won

Quote Originally Posted by reddawn2988 View Post
    Statistics are all in the eye of the beholder.
    This is false.

They can be misused, misconstrued, misrepresented and even manipulated into supporting whatever position a person desires.
    This is (partially) true. It's called "lying."

As my stats instructor once mentioned, "correlation does not always equal causation and there is no such thing as being 100% sure of something."
    This has absolutely nothing to do with your first statement, and is only one of the many ways you can go about doing the second.

I can't really speak for other parts of the US, but where I live, just about everyone has a gun or a few guns in their home. No background check or license is required to carry a loaded and concealed handgun here either, even in Anchorage which is Alaska's only large urban area. You just need to be 21 and older with no felony record. A person who passes the NICS system can buy a gun, load it up, and stick it in a holster on their belt the moment they leave a gun store, or buy a gun via private sale with no background check. If a person under the age of 21 is caught carrying concealed, its a misdemeanor. Disclosure of weapon possession to police if stopped on official business is required too. I go out on occasion and people are generally well mannered here. The anti-gun people would have you try and believe that the more guns out there, the more violence there would be. Criminals fear armed victims more than they fear the police. Most gun owners are responsible but don't get me wrong, there are idiots who have no business owning a gun. The same can be said for idiot drivers too. Most gun owners do take measures to secure their firearms to make it harder for unauthorized individuals from accessing them. People die everyday from various things. Deaths by misuse of guns happens but I still don't believe in punishing good people for the actions of a few. When the bombs went off in Boston, nobody blamed the bombs. Why are we blaming guns for deaths and injuries caused by the misuse of them?