Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My experience with online forums

Default My experience with online forums

Recent threads and posts made me feel the need to write this.

Many online forums I have encountered either have admins who are rude from the get-go, the members are heavily closed minded, or politically they stand strongly democratic. The admins here certainly have been welcoming. Some of the members here are good, others questionable but most have been good. The first online forum I joined was a music forum entitled The Range Place in 2011. During my tenure on that forum it started out much like some of what I've seen on here recently through posts. While that forum is defunct now (a majority of the members AND admin were jackasses) thank god it was a music forum where it sparked my interests and thought I could make some good friends on there. Should've thought twice.

My voice was not heard and my presence was not seen. Any of my thoughts were automatically considered poison and pretty much all the users went on the defensive. I tried making peace with the others on there but no prevail. Second forum I went on, [Removed] I had a good run on there, the political views were mixed but did not lean to one side. Soon my reputation on that site started to get attacked and I went down the tubes.

I'm hoping the same does not happen here. Of course I've tried other forums such as Music Barter and CoolRom, but the topics there have either lost my interest or I just drifted away.
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 07-May-2013 at 19:45. Reason: removed content breaking the rules

I'm guessing this thread is an outgrowth from the Hillery Clinton thread, known as Rodham. My suggestion to you, if you want to know peace, is to leave political debates alone. I think you will find that most members who belong to what amounts to a fetish site, are likely to be Democrat. The Democrats simply have a better record in accepting people of diversity than the Republicans. I would use gay marriage as an example.

As AB/DL people, and those who are incontinent, we struggle first with our own self acceptance. As we move foreword through this, we would like to be accepted by others, which we do find on this site. I'm sure you want acceptance as well otherwise you wouldn't have started this thread.

Several years ago we had two outspoken members who started anti Christian or faith belief threads, espousing their disbelief as if either believing or disbelieving had some intrinsic value. I would engage them in discussion and become upset. Eventually wisdom came to me and I simply left them and their threads alone. Sometimes you have to consider the source.

If you are going to have discussions about politics, or other in depth topics, you need to have a deep knowledge base to draw from, as well as documented sources. I've noticed that as we've lost the younger members, we've gained some very intelligent, well versed new members. I've decided that there are topics I'm knowledgeable enough to engage, and some I read, but leave alone, because I have nothing of intelligent substance to offer. It's how the world spins. We can't be experts on everything. Some members on this site are experts in their fields, and when they share, I remain quiet, but listen. I often learn things of value, and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I've decided that there are topics I'm knowledgeable enough to engage, and some I read, but leave alone, because I have nothing of intelligent substance to offer.
    choosing your battles, eh?

apart from agreeing with Dogboy, as one who would probably be a steaming, sexist, racist, lawbreaking redneck, were i american, it's worth remembering that despite how intolerant we may of each other and whatever views, we have this common-thread and we can also have a disagreement about one thing and then move onto the next, where we may agree.

other than that, y'all look the same to me, so i'd be forgetting who y'are, anyway

Yes you were correct. It is a outgrowth from the Rodham forum. This was originally going to be a blog but ended up being a thread because I wanted people to know about my experiences. I just want my political belfiefs to be respected and I am finding it very hard to get that. Believe me, I have tried being patient. I often start threads for fun or because I got a idea I'd like to share (like "The Best Animated Dog". Sure I didnt list Snoopy, Scobby, or Bolt but those had not come to my mind as much as the others.) So when I start a thread, I dont intend on it becoming a big research project. Its more than just a Google search, its going through each link and reading the entire article to make sure its not too biased (although I can usually tell from the publications name). I have also gotten viruses from doing this.

So whatever I might use to backup what I'm talking about, I save myself the headache and use Wikipedia. My childhood has been a bad one and often I will get on the defensive very easily from the personal confrontations I've had. When I read constant backlash against Republicans, it also puts a insult toward me even though I've made it clear I'm a moderate. Insults and ignorance do not work well with me, all they do is add salt to the wound.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    Yes you were correct. It is a outgrowth from the Rodham forum. This was originally going to be a blog but ended up being a thread because I wanted people to know about my experiences. I just want my political belfiefs to be respected and I am finding it very hard to get that. Believe me, I have tried being patient. I often start threads for fun or because I got a idea I'd like to share (like "The Best Animated Dog". Sure I didnt list Snoopy, Scobby, or Bolt but those had not come to my mind as much as the others.) So when I start a thread, I dont intend on it becoming a big research project. Its more than just a Google search, its going through each link and reading the entire article to make sure its not too biased (although I can usually tell from the publications name). I have also gotten viruses from doing this.

So whatever I might use to backup what I'm talking about, I save myself the headache and use Wikipedia. My childhood has been a bad one and often I will get on the defensive very easily from the personal confrontations I've had. When I read constant backlash against Republicans, it also puts a insult toward me even though I've made it clear I'm a moderate. Insults and ignorance do not work well with me, all they do is add salt to the wound.
    The truth is no-one respects other people's political beliefs - you don't really respect Democrats very much do you? If you find that you get caught up in defending your views in a way you don't enjoy, then maybe you need to pre-empt it and take Johnny Cash's advice.
    I can only speak for myself really, but I don't think people on ADISC dislike you as a person. I believe if an argument starts in a thread, it stays in a thread. I believe in Dubstep and fiscal stimulus, but solidarity between freaks is more important than matters of personal taste. If you post something I agree with I'll agree with it, and if you ask for help, I would try and help. Perhaps your thread creating could benefit from a period of benign neglect? Try joining in other people's threads for a bit instead.

June

I will try very hard to help you out with your future posts.

Balto, nobody has an initial bias on you because you have political views that are on the opposite end of the spectrum to most of the members of this site. Nobody will "attack you" for your beliefs, at least that's not what the members that actively post in the Mature forum are doing. They constantly point out the flaws in your posts to try to help you develop better debating skills. While many people here may have, admittedly, been condescending and rude, it's not for your beliefs. It's because you constantly miss the point.

You have tried several other forums and gotten similar results. I really don't think it's a coincidence. It's time to start listening when we criticize your arguments. It's time to provide credible sources when you make claims, especially ones that you share with more mainstream propaganda. It's time to stop making decisions based on what other people that classify as conservatives make. I've made that mistake before when I was younger, and trust me, it makes you look really bad. I'd suggest being prepared the next time you wish to join in on a debate, or post your own. Here's a way to practice: for now, stick to topics that you are well-informed on. In the meantime, study the ones you want to be well-informed on, and draw your own conclusion from there.

While I agree some users have been a bit condescending, it's not because you are a conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    This was originally going to be a blog but ended up being a thread because I wanted people to know about my experiences. I just want my political belfiefs to be respected and I am finding it very hard to get that.
    I think the problem here is that you seem to be misunderstanding the difference between a blog post and a thread. A blog post is a personal experience which you want people to read, something that you would like them to know about you. A thread is the start of a discussion. If I make a blog post saying something like 'I believe that we should not allow [ethnic group] on the site' then I expect that I would lose a lot of friends, but if I disable comments there is no debate. If I post that as a thread, then I'm opening that up for debate. People on any side of the argument can join in, and tell me I'm being ridiculous (or otherwise!).

If you want people to listen to you, make it a blog, if you want people to debate what you're saying (and truthfully, you need to work on your debating skills - your arguments are sloppy, you don't respond to direct questions asking to clarify, and any links you post to back you up [when you do] are from un-credible sources) then make it a forum post.

I agree with Talula;

I also think you need to consider the discussions you push forward and how, it's like your SOPA thread, you made it with a tittle that grabbed a huge number of people from the opposite camp to come and tear your argument to pieces, it's not that we don't like you it's just a huge number of the topics you put forward are controversial and more often than not your side yourself with the 'unpopular side' it's not unpopular in general (as it's a fairly even split on the whole) but on progressive forums you'll find more people on the progressive more liberal side of the debate.
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 07-May-2013 at 19:50. Reason: reference to removed comments in the OP

I hope no one, no matter how they differ with you makes you feel like you aren't welcome on the site. We don't have to agree with each other, but we all have a right to be here and in fact.. the people who won't just agree with our opinions make this site much more interesting to be on. Actual debates and discussions are great BabyBalto, and I think the fact that you differ in opinion to many of the members here makes you a very important member. I really hope you don't feel chased away from this place, because I honestly feel ADISC would not be the same without you. You start discussions and you let your opinion known and many of the threads that have a ton of post were started because you did so. Even if I don't agree with that opinion I have tons of respect for that opinion, and only expect respect in return.

That's just generally how i feel about this kind of thing, that as long as you respect other people's opinions BabyBalto, then you have every right to want respect in return and I personally would defend you if I felt you were being disrespected.

Balto, you're always going to run into people who disagree with you. I have run into that throughout the years and I've never let that stop me from being active online. Sure I'm not as active as others as I have learned to enjoy a life away from a computer keyboard and be unwired a bit and enjoy different hobbies that I have. I don't agree with your political views as I tend to be VERY liberal, yet respective of conservative issues because of the fact I come from a conservative family.

I have learned in life not to take a lot of things personally. It's hard to do at first yes. I also learned a lot of things rather late in my 20s when I found out I was Asperger's as well as my physical disabilities. I learned in life that you can't take what people say or personal attacks personally. I give you credit for being active on conservative issues and that you stand up for what you believe in. We all need to stand up for what we believe in.

Don't let things get you down man, don't let the bastards get ya down and just keep on doing what you're doing.

WildThing121675