Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: SOPA: Why it needs passed

Default SOPA: Why it needs passed

Ah the Stop Online Piracy Act, why hasnt it been passed? There is such a good cause for it. The rapidly growing piracy market of music and videos is out of control. Yes Wikipedia blacked out for a day in protest of SOPA but was it really necessary? Where is the evidence to show the world will come to a end with stopping piracy? From a musicians standpoint, this is healthy. We're losing so much income due to the growing population of online pirates. Implementing this will help us get those funds back.

The days of converting a Youtube video to MP3 will be over and the vicious file sharing will be as well. Yes you couch poatoes the sun will rise the day after SOPA is legalized. Do a favor for the world, favor the music indsutry and pass SOPA.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    Ah the Stop Online Piracy Act, why hasnt it been passed? There is such a good cause for it. The rapidly growing piracy market of music and videos is out of control. Yes Wikipedia blacked out for a day in protest of SOPA but was it really necessary? Where is the evidence to show the world will come to a end with stopping piracy? From a musicians standpoint, this is healthy. We're losing so much income due to the growing population of online pirates. Implementing this will help us get those funds back.

The days of converting a Youtube video to MP3 will be over and the vicious file sharing will be as well. Yes you couch poatoes the sun will rise the day after SOPA is legalized. Do a favor for the world, favor the music indsutry and pass SOPA.
    I take it you're not aware of what is actually contained in this act then? Read through any of the summaries?

Because there are so many other bad things in the bill, it goes against Tim Bernard Lee's vision of the internet, for free, fair and open access to all the internet has to share; it allows for ISPs to limit speeds on access to specific things, it makes the building of small websites a problem because if you can't pay for the increased DL speeds from ISPs then your consumers will suffer. It makes the internet sole domain of the United States, when it should be governed by international statutes, need I go on; there's a list of bad things about it that goes on for 3 or 4 pages.

Adisc for one would be a site that'd suffer because of the laws imposed, as it has an IRC network and is a fringe website. I beg you to reconsider your opinion; it's about more than just piracy it's about controlling the internet in other ways too, and it's a gateway act to so much more regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    I take it you're not aware of what is actually contained in this act then? Read through any of the summaries?
    I must note I support it to a extent.

Do a favor for the world, favor the music indsutry and pass SOPA.

I must note I support it to a extent.
    What exactly do you feel? In the two posts you've made you've gone from being dead set on it being passed to supporting it to an extent.

And you haven't answered my question. Do you know what's actually contained in the act?

NO, GOD no... not SOPA. I was against this piece of shite when it was being touted in Congress as to me I see it as an internet killer. I do not bootleg things off the net but still- it also is a First Amendment killer. How the hell can anyone support SOPA. I sure don't. I also don't support CISPA, PIPA or other Internet killer acts that our congresscreeps try to spew out.

WildThing121675

On a personal note, forgot to add this- I despise the RIAA, MPAA and other organizations that make huge contributions to congresscreeps to get laws passed that shouldn't be passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    What exactly do you feel? In the two posts you've made you've gone from being dead set on it being passed to supporting it to an extent.

And you haven't answered my question. Do you know what's actually contained in the act?
    Yes believe it or not I dont just start topics without some idea of whats going on.

I feel piracy is a menace to the music industry, especially those who work hard to create the material. As a musician, I feel I deserve to get paid what I've worked for. For websites like Youtube to be pretty much shut down would be going too far, people should be allowed to showcase their creations without stealing the likes of others. Infringing websites, it really doesnt matter to me if they're blocked. The Pirate Bay is a infriging website, which I've always felt should be shut down. There are many technological effects that would be felt by SOPA being passed but I'm sure people would get through it just fine.

WildThing, the RIAA honors musicians hard work and sales by giving them honorable titles like Platinum or Gold. I dont see a problem with them.
    Fun fact: A Republican proposed SOPA.

Yes believe it or not I dont just start topics without some idea of whats going on.

I feel piracy is a menace to the music industry, especially those who work hard to create the material. As a musician, I feel I deserve to get paid what I've worked for. For websites like Youtube to be pretty much shut down would be going too far, people should be allowed to showcase their creations without stealing the likes of others. Infringing websites, it really doesnt matter to me if they're blocked. The Pirate Bay is a infriging website, which I've always felt should be shut down. There are many technological effects that would be felt by SOPA being passed but I'm sure people would get through it just fine.
    Mmmm but you realise that SOPA contains a lot more than just that, don't you?

Although my views on piracy are much more liberal than most, I shall not voice them hear, as oddly this topic has very little to do with combating piracy. It is not the piracy concerns that people should be considering when deciding their stance on SOPA, PIPA, CISPA etc. A bill like this could radically change the face of the internet, and if you are well informed on the subject matter, I doubt there is anyone who would endorse these changes.

It is easy to fall for the chirade. SOPA hides behind the veil of a friendly act, protecting creative people and industry from the growing population of pirates. All of whom are portrayed as being out to get free content at the expense of jobs. The reality of this bill actually has much wider implications on society. We all live in a modern society that is built around an open and free internet. Consider all of the following, as they will happen if a bill like SOPA is passed:

1. Search engines can be barred from linking to copyrighted content by corporations. Making it illegal not just to obtain and distribute copyrighted material, but also to link to it. Consider this for a moment. It would close off large swathes of what is currently open and freely searchable to the internet community. It would be like a giant Richard Nixon robot, strolling into New York city just before rush hour, and destroying all the subway routes with laser beams. It would cripple the city.

It would also allow everyone and anyone to sue people, simply for linking to a picture. Which is absolute madness. Not even owning a copy of it. LINKING TO IT. Simple things like google image search, will not be the same as it is now, and will change dramatically.

2. It will be the end of privacy. ISPs will be required to monitor all of their users internet traffic. Not only will this kill the idea of net neutrality, but it will also mean that corporations and businesses will be just one step away from using your data without your consent. Not good.

3. Anti-censorship sites such as TOR and Alternate DNS's will be blocked by ISP's, removing your right to anonymity on the internet.

4. Self-censorship will increase also. Links on social media will be carefully monitored, and possibly censored - dependent on supposed infringement.

All of this, in effect, brings us one step closer to how China manages their internet. With an iron fist. Specifically, it makes it easier for western governments to control citizen unrest in the future.

There's no doubt in my mind that this won't be the end of this either, this is just the beginning. Western governments around the world will begin to tighten their grip on what is the single biggest threat to their corrupt form of democracy. The internet is the most important civil rights communications medium invented in the past century. Anyone who's burying their head in the sand about that should in my opinion, open their eyes a little.

I am british. However, here's something from a splendid and all-knowing american bugger who most definitely had it right:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Unfortunately, it has more to do with the fact that it's more or less to do with the censoring of general media and free expression on the internet, go look up any kind summary on SOPA (or any of the piracy laws that are being brought out these days) and you will see that the traits that these laws (if passed) will enact on the internet, it's not just the ability to stop people from pirating music or anything like that from websites like PirateBay and the now defunct MegaUpload.

The thing people are worried about it the most is that it gives the content creators (i.e. Hollywood and the music industry in general) the ability to take down any website that they deems to be breaching the law and if they do bring it down (and they would) they would be able to sue the creators of the website and the patrons who downloaded their wares, effectively suing the innocent without a fair trial, oh yeah, forgot to mention, they would be able to do this without the use of a trial, starting to see why people don't want this passed yet?

The main problem this presents is that any website that you possibly like could potentially be taken down because of laws like SOPA, PIPA, ACTA and CISPA, not to mention that Hollywood would most likely abuse this law and the power they've been given because of it to make sure that they get their way in the long run, it doesn't help that the law is being influenced by the money Hollywood is constantly throwing to ones I've listed above, so you can see how much they want it passed.

It's all a matter of money with these acts, Hollywood and the music industry is going to get them anyway, they're just making sure they secure their paychecks even more with bonus like this in their corner.