Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is Truth?

Default What is Truth?

I would like to hear what different people have to say on the subject about what truth is.

Truth is found on the tenement halls and subway walls, and in the sounds of silence.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Truth is found on the tenement halls and subway walls, and in the sounds of silence.
    You have spoken the sacred words that lead to the core of my being. We may now be friends.

Truth is by nature self-evident. As soon as you remove the cobwebs of ignorance that surround it, it shines clear.
    - Gandhi

and sadly some occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Truth is the affirmative impartial evaluation of an expression.

Strictly speaking, truth can only exist within pure logic. The "everyday truths" (such as "That man is shorter than the tree") are always fundamentally ambiguous, requiring all sorts of imprecise abstractions and linguistic definitions and conventions.

So because truth can only ever relate to a closed, fully defined, coherent system of logic... in essence, every truth that can be expressed is a definitive tautology.

There's not much to say about truth, really. But epistemology... Whoa! Where do you begin?!

Truth is when someone decides to stop being a coward and comes clean.

Well... nothing except for that one statement. So the truth is: ONLY ONE THING IS TRUE - THAT NOTHING IS TRUE!
    So there!

hmm...then again... that doesn't work either does it? F@#*ing logic!! Gets in the way of everything.

Maybe it would be easier to start with what is false. My belief is all beliefs are false (including this one). If you ignore the minor logical glitch, that statement makes perfect sense. What is logic anyway? For all we know logic may be like gravity - it has the appearance of being a constant force but, in reality, it may only be a warp in the fourth dimension.

Semiseriously though, we are born a question, and truth, if it exists, is the answer. Faith allows you to search. Belief leads you astray. Common sense tells you to go have a beer instead.

Truth, I say, is the actual state of reality and the universe, independent of its apprehension.