Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing a plushie

Default Washing a plushie

So my plushie is getting kinda icky smelling on account of the fact that I sweat at night, and I'd like to give it a wash. It says non-machine washable and I'd say the stitching isn't the best quality, so what do you recommend? Should I take a risk and throw it in the washer on a gentle setting, or try cleaning it by hand, in which case where do I begin? Any tips?

You could try getting a large tub/bucket and filling it with warm water (not burning hot) and soaking for 5-10 minutes with a few drops of soap.

Quote Originally Posted by krone6 View Post
    You could try getting a large tub/bucket and filling it with warm water (not burning hot) and soaking for 5-10 minutes with a few drops of soap.
    My big fear with that, and with any form of non-machine wash, it that the soap will get deep into it and not come out and then I'll have a plush that smells like soap when I hold it. Especially with soaking it since the soapy water will get way into the polyester filling.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy26 View Post
    My big fear with that, and with any form of non-machine wash, it that the soap will get deep into it and not come out and then I'll have a plush that smells like soap when I hold it. Especially with soaking it since the soapy water will get way into the polyester filling.
    Couldn't you dry him or her without spinning the dryer around afterwards on very low heat?

You could soak in soapy water, then soak in clear water, what is wrong with it smelling of soap? I love the smell of my washing powder and conditioner. (which is why I chose it)

Quote Originally Posted by krone6 View Post
    Couldn't you dry him or her without spinning the dryer around afterwards on very low heat?
    That's what I initially considered, but I'm just not sure how much she can handle and I'd hate it if the stitching started to come apart more.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVimes View Post
    You could soak in soapy water, then soak in clear water, what is wrong with it smelling of soap? I love the smell of my washing powder and conditioner. (which is why I chose it)
    Perhaps. I might consider that. I'm just really sensitive to smells when I'm trying to relax.

I dont like to was my plushy. Make me always sad and worry.

Actually, the program you'd use for wool is less hard on the fabric than hand-washing (which would include rubbing and/or squeezing the water out)..
    Also, anti-allergenic neutral-ish hand detergent for clothes shouldn't leave a smell.

You could ask a dry-cleaning service if they clean stuffed animals? No need to tell them it's yours, after all.

Alternatively, you could try stuffing the thing in the freezer.. I know that sounds weird, but by freezing it you'll kill off a bunch of bacteria (which was the "dummy explanation" given to me, so it's probably scientifically incorrect), and it should smell. Ehrm. Less bad? x) Works on shoes, so why not stuffed animals?

(I'm sorry, is my clean-freak side showing? :P)

The easyist thing to do might just be clean it with a damp, lightly soapy washcloth, then go over it with a wet, soapless cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy26 View Post
    So my plushie is getting kinda icky smelling on account of the fact that I sweat at night, and I'd like to give it a wash. It says non-machine washable and I'd say the stitching isn't the best quality, so what do you recommend? Should I take a risk and throw it in the washer on a gentle setting, or try cleaning it by hand, in which case where do I begin? Any tips?
    The best way to wash a soft toy is to get a damp cloth and sponge it. Just keep dabbing away at it. You don't want to get it completely wet, because it won't dry out (think drying to dry a pillow out) very easily at all, and will get all damp and mouldy from the inside out. If you just surface sponge it then it should be fine. I wouldn't use soap if I were you, but I do sometimes put some fabric conditioner in a spray bottle with some water and spray that on to toys, cushions, and curtains when I'm too lazy to wash them properly. It makes them smell really fresh and nice.

If you can bear to, hang him or her up on the line outside as well, because the fresh air will really make it smell sweet and new again.

Hope that helps