Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Diapers at Pharmacies?

Default Getting Diapers at Pharmacies?

So I order all of my diapers from either Bambino or xpmedical directly. I used to use either just the Classico or Tena Maxi Slip exclusively, but I tried the Molicare Super Plus recently and loved it, enough to the point that I want to keep it stocked with those other two as my three main diapers.

But it got me thinking, ordering online and having to have them held at the UPS Store or the FedEx store isn't really inconvenient but it can be a hassle sometimes. Plus, if I'm going to leave my house to get diapers, I'd much rather support a small business. So I went to two different pharmacies in town today to see what they carried.

The people working there were all extremely nice and I felt comfortable talking to them. They asked me what I was looking for, and when I said diapers they asked why to better understand my need (I'll put what I said below this so it's not in the way for people who don't want to read it). The first one, the guy was basically trying to sell me Tena pads which I said I didn't want and was looking for an actual diaper, to which he showed me the Depends and I said I'd pass, but if I was looking for something specific to let him know and he'd order it for me.

The second place I actually felt pretty comfortable at. The lady brought me into the back of the store and showed me what they had in stock. She showed me the Depends and Attends they had in. I told her I didn't like Depends because they leaked on me, so she said not to get the Attends since those were probably worse than the Depends. I pulled up xpmedical and showed her the Molicares I mentioned having ordered to her and she pulled out a book and started looking through it. She said their wholesaler didn't carry them, but she did show me some kind of Tena (USA) diaper I'd never seen before, as well as some Prevail and other Depends products. I guess since I'm young (24), they were trying to work with me to get these boxer style diapers, but I did tell them I wanted a real diaper with tabs.

So I guess my question, is does anyone know if a place like that would be able to order, say Molicare or Tena Slip Maxi? Even Abena? Again, I'd like to support a small business, and you figure whatever the price markup is for them making a profit off what they buy would cancel out the shipping cost from anywhere else. Do I bring in a loose diaper and show them what I use? Bring in a package so they can see? Any advice at all?

Thanks!

In case anyone is really curious, when the people at the pharmacy asked why I was looking for diapers (which is definitely a fair question, they wanted to know how to help), I told them I had an old hockey injury that resulted in some occasional bedwetting. I figured I couldn't just say I enjoyed wearing diapers, haha. I told them that two years ago I got speared with the end of a stick that caught me right in the gut. It was a hard blow and I ended up falling on the ice with the wind knocked out of me. I said starting the very next day I lost a little bladder control and was slightly losing control of my urine during the day for a few weeks and experiencing severe bedwetting during the night. I said it stopped during the day but during the night, a few times a week I would completely lose control of my bladder, so I wore diapers to combat it. They seem fairly concerned that I should get it checked out since it stemmed from injury, but I told them I still needed the diapers regardless. I'm guessing if I find a way to buy from them regularly, I'll have to cross that bridge about getting it checked. Maybe I'll say the surgery could leave me permanently incontinent if it doesn't go right so I don't want to risk it. Who knows, I did a lot of acting work in college so I'm fairly good at improve

I agree with you that it's better to support local businesses, but you have to draw the line at paying $30 for a 12-bag. I would much rather go out to buy my items than to guess wrongly that the package won't be too large or too conspicuous, or not arrive at all from an online source.

Speaking for myself; I feel fortunate to live in an area where there are more brick-and-mortar options. I've discovered at least 2 old-timey pharmacies that offer the type of product I'm after, and there are more that I've had to have passed over and not registered in my brain before the diaper interest took hold.

BTW I admired your quick wit in your story, though being too detailed is sure to give away that you're lying, or at least cause them to remember you. They probably deal with diaper-seeking customers 10 times a day and get really good about spotting out the fake ones

If Molicare has a web site. I would check the site and see if they list any dealers in the area where you live. I know some diaper's companies do list where their products
    are sold.

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    If Molicare has a web site. I would check the site and see if they list any dealers in the area where you live. I know some diaper's companies do list where their products
    are sold.
    I actually did try that, but their website is pretty lacking in terms of any real information. So unfortunately I have nothing to go on, which is why I'm wondering if they can still order something that isn't carried by their wholesaler.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MOPaddED View Post
    I agree with you that it's better to support local businesses, but you have to draw the line at paying $30 for a 12-bag. I would much rather go out to buy my items than to guess wrongly that the package won't be too large or too conspicuous, or not arrive at all from an online source.
    Would it seriously be $30 for a bag of 14? It's $21 from Bambino and xpmedical. I figured maybe it would end up being $25 or so...do you know how much they actually would mark that up? Like you said, I'd rather go out and buy them in person, because I figured the mark up would cancel out the shipping charges.

Speaking for myself; I feel fortunate to live in an area where there are more brick-and-mortar options. I've discovered at least 2 old-timey pharmacies that offer the type of product I'm after, and there are more that I've had to have passed over and not registered in my brain before the diaper interest took hold.
    In my area we have a lot of bigger stores here, Target, Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, etc. But I don't think stores of that nature would ever get in brands of diapers that aren't Tena USA or Depend, as they're chains, so if I want premium diapers I need to find those mom and pop independently owned pharmacies.

BTW I admired your quick wit in your story, though being too detailed is sure to give away that you're lying, or at least cause them to remember you. They probably deal with diaper-seeking customers 10 times a day and get really good about spotting out the fake ones
    I'm sure they'd remember me as they'd need my name if they did start getting my Molicares in, but thanks for the compliments about being quick. I didn't really have a plan as to what I'd say, I figured they'd just show me what they had, so I just went with it. Speared playing hockey, must have hurt a muscle, now wet the bed. Figured it was believable, so thank you!

I have heard that you could order Molicares for in store pickup at Walmart in the states. I don't know if it is still an option or many details.

If you want to buy good diapers retail your best bet is finding a medical supply store. Good diapers are not a big seller except in those places.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiPad89 View Post
    Would it seriously be $30 for a bag of 14? It's $21 from Bambino and xpmedical. I figured maybe it would end up being $25 or so...do you know how much they actually would mark that up? Like you said, I'd rather go out and buy them in person, because I figured the mark up would cancel out the shipping charges.
    The store I occasionally go to for Molicares charges 30$ per bag for mediums, and 25$ a bag for smalls. Thus far, it's the only store I've found that carries anything besides what I can basically already get at Walgreens/CVS.

I'm sure there's something in your area. Your profile says New York. Don't look for pharmacies as much as home health care type supply stores. You could call a couple in home health care agencies and ask where they might recommend.

So the consensus seems to be to find a medical supply store or home health store...how exactly does one go about finding one? I searched medical supply on yellow pages without much success.

And I'm actually in New Jersey, not New York. I don't think NJ was a choice.

Where about in New Jersey are you? I don't need exact location, just general so I can see if I can find something.

- - - Updated - - -

You could start here and see if anything is near you, then give them a call and talk to someone.

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/stores/NJ/

You definitely want medical supply stores and not drugstores or pharmacies. I found medical supply stores in my area (southern california) just by googling "medical supply stores near <city name>", then checking the websites (most were pretty crappy) to see if they had a physical store. I narrowed it down to three from there, one of them had an online storefront which didn't list any premium diapers, another one had a bunch of reviews saying it was trashy. The one I eventually went to didn't have an online storefront, but in the pictures of the inside of the store I thought I spotted what looked like molicares (I started a thread on it a few years back if you want to read it). And yeah, it's $32 for a 14 pack of medium molicare I still buy from there maybe 3-4 times a year, and supplement with depends fitted from various drugstores and XP medical shipments to my house (basically I don't want people in the stores to recognize me as "that guy who always comes in and buys diapers", or housemates to wonder whats up with all the plain boxes that just say "Gary Evans, XP" in the from field).

Also, when talking with the people in medical supply stores they use weird terms sometimes. "overnight" = diapers with tapes, "daytime" = pullups, "protection" or "briefs" = diapers. I've often found it useful to phrase things in such a way that it's implied I'm buying them for someone I'm taking care of, not so much because I care if they know I'm buying for me, but because it cuts down on the awkward for the salespeople (they'll often stop with the weird terms and call diapers diapers at that point) and they stop trying to push the options that they consider more discreet and I have no interest in.