View Poll Results: How often does your household go grocery shopping?

41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm American: every 1 or 2 days

5 12.20%
  • I'm American: every 3 or 4 days

3 7.32%
  • I'm American: every 5 to 7 days

9 21.95%
  • I'm American: every 8 to 10 days

4 9.76%
  • I'm American: 11 days+

2 4.88%
  • I'm European: every 1 or 2 days

3 7.32%
  • I'm European: every 3 or 4 days

3 7.32%
  • I'm European: every 5 to 7 days

7 17.07%
  • I'm European: every 8 to 10 days

2 4.88%
  • I'm European: 11 days+

0 0%
  • I'm from elsewhere: every 1 or 2 days

1 2.44%
  • I'm from elsewhere: every 3 or 4 days

0 0%
  • I'm from elsewhere: every 5 to 7 days

2 4.88%
  • I'm from elsewhere: every 8 to 10 days

0 0%
  • I'm from elsewhere: 11 days+

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you go grocery shopping?

Smile How often do you go grocery shopping?

I saw a week or two ago that one of Tesco's US brands (Fresh & Easy) is closing because the shops were based on the "European" way of shopping every few days, whereas American shop for food less often... and I wondered if that was true...

I shop for food every 2 or 3 days (at least)... but not because I'm a health freak who needs the freshest, finest food... I live close to supermarkets, so I usually visit as I'm passing, rather than making a special trip. And I don't drive, so there's a limit to what I can carry. And vegetables don't last more than a few days.

Anyway, I wondered how often you (or any person in your household) does the grocery shopping...?

I usually go family grocery shopping once every week. We usually buy enough food for the whole week.

It mainly depends on when my pay comes in and when I can get there, but I try to go grocery shopping every 7-9 days after the previous one.

Our grocery store is close to where we live, but my wife and I go shopping once a week, on Saturday. If we run out of something, I stop at the store on the way home from work. I actually hate to go grocery shopping. My wife seems to enjoy it. She can't walk the entire length of the store, so I load her electric cart on the carrier at the rear of the Jeep, which makes an extra chore out of it. Once there, she tools along and I follow her with the cart. It takes us about an hour to shop. Then we have to put all the food away when we get home. There are other things I would rather be doing on a Saturday morning. When the summer comes and I'm not teaching, we will switch to Tuesdays.

We go once a week, unless there is something we're out of. Every 4-6 weeks we make a trip to a big box store. I'm not sure if there's any outside of the U.S. (please tell me if there are). It's where you buy items in bulk (like 5 pounds of bacon or 20 rolls of paper towels) and the cost per unit is less than if you go to the grocery store just for one item. As far as Fresh and Easy goes, they closed down the one closest to us and now it's inconvenient to go to one. Also, I got food poisoning one time after eating their pasta. I know - it could have been something else, but still.

Didn't answer the poll. It's dependent on a lot more things than location.

As a young single guy living by myself, I shop about 2-3 times per week, but I only buy stuff I'm low on or the essentials - milk, bread, eggs - or things that I can't store for a while. Typically I shop on an as-needed basis. About once every 1-2 months I do a large shop to get other things. Granted, my cupboards and fridge a more or less bare most of the time.

When I was living at home (just the three of us), my parents did a single large shop every weekend. I gave them $50 a week toward that.

When I was living with friends, we shopped about twice a fortnight on average. We'd do a fairly sizable shop and split the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    Every 4-6 weeks we make a trip to a big box store. I'm not sure if there's any outside of the U.S. (please tell me if there are).
    Costco has opened in Australia. We also have the German company Aldi that more or less sells in bulk.

i'm Lancastrian and i shop for milk every couple of days. i drink a lot of milk, compared to many, so that's the primary impetus for going getting grub and everything tends to revolve around where i can get my preferred brand and how much it is. mostly, i get it from the Co-op, in the village (yeah, i know: despite the dairy farm being closer).
    we tend to get meat from the village, too, but that varies depending upon what 'offers' the stupormarkets have. most of the stuff in the village is fresh and local, coming farms around here (not like that stupid advert on the telly, for whatever supermarket: "is it local?"
    "only 70 miles away"; yeah? walk it, then, you lazy barsteward
    [fecking 140 mile round trip for a leg of lamb ]).

My wife and I usually do big grocery shopping every 2 weeks or so... then 1-3 mini grocery shopping (usually just few items) in between (depending on budget). Those mini grocery shopping are usually done by me because I work at a grocery store so I can grab few stuff after shift right on the spot. That's one good thing about working at a grocery store. =P

Once a week I do my shopping at a large store, usually Walmart. Then part way through the week usually end up at a small shop like Aldi or Tesco express just to get fresh food, milk and anything that may have been forgotten or run out.

That is the way I have always done it, and i have lived in both the UK and US. Although when I was over in the United States I did notice that most did do their main grocery shopping every other week.

I went yesterday. I'm like Tiny I don't drive so I walk the mile round trip. I buy my meat and produce at a store called Save-A-Lot. I
    buy my canned goods at Big Lots and
    eggs and other food items at DG. My main trip is usally once a week. When on fixed income you save your pennies where you can.