Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sore throat from the NUK 5?

Default Sore throat from the NUK 5?

This is probably a weird question, but I could use some input on this..

I've got a modified pacifier, and as I'm not terribly attached to it, I don't use it very often. I used to, but because I got it in my head that it would ruin my teeth (will it?), I stopped.

Anyway. I used to have another one, but after I used it one night and got a pretty bad case of sore throat, I decided it had come in contact with something it shouldn't, and tried to boil it. It didn't help, and I eventually threw it out.

The same thing is happening with the one I've got now; all of a sudden it makes my throat sore to use it, and I get this aftertaste of rubber in my mouth.. I clean it regularly, and keep it in a little box when it's not in use.

I'd rather not throw it out, so I was wondering if any of you had any ideas what the cause might be, or how I could fix it?

This isn't just from Paci's, over the past few days I've noticed my throat becoming sore when I wake up whenever I fall asleep with my thumb in my mouth.

I think it may have something to do with your mouth not used to having something in it constantly, although I could be wrong. If anybody who's familar with this topic could clarify what exactly is happening when this happens to your throat and sucking on your thumb/paci constantly.

you might have a latex allergy.
    you should try the ones with the silicone nipples

That sounds so logical and simple (and that would've been my first guess, too), but I don't react to other latex products, and the pacifiers were fine for long periods of time.
    Do the silicone ones even exist apart from in the normal baby-sizes?

maybe your throat is drying out by being slightly propped open with a paci. Perhaps try drinking a massive amount of water next time and see if it helps, but better make sure to pad up well, lol.

It's so strange, though, because I don't react to it at all for long periods of time, and then BAM. But yes, PaSS, I suspect you're right in that a silicone one might be the solution. They're so expensive, though...

indeed they are thats why i am currently stuck with a baby paci which is fine for me but wat ever

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamincolour View Post
    This is probably a weird question, but I could use some input on this..

I've got a modified pacifier, and as I'm not terribly attached to it, I don't use it very often. I used to, but because I got it in my head that it would ruin my teeth (will it?), I stopped.

Anyway. I used to have another one, but after I used it one night and got a pretty bad case of sore throat, I decided it had come in contact with something it shouldn't, and tried to boil it. It didn't help, and I eventually threw it out.

The same thing is happening with the one I've got now; all of a sudden it makes my throat sore to use it, and I get this aftertaste of rubber in my mouth.. I clean it regularly, and keep it in a little box when it's not in use.

I'd rather not throw it out, so I was wondering if any of you had any ideas what the cause might be, or how I could fix it?
    You should look out for the pacifier wipes. I found my pack at Wal-Mart. They have no chemical taste, just a wee bit of salt taste that goes unnoticed after a few seconds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1367368681093.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	16905  

Quote Originally Posted by DreaminColour
    I used to, but because I got it in my head that it would ruin my teeth (will it?), I stopped.
    I've actually been researching into this, but there is nothing conclusive thus far studied in adults on long term affects of it as it is in children due to development. It should be noted many adult's teeth shift for whatever reason without such affect. Heavy use may, but all evidence is anecdotal. You should be fine given hours of usage and the nature of your teeth.

Its's actually important to note that sleeping while sucking your thumb or paci may keep your mouth open and dry out your mouth causing sore throat. I've seen this reported anecdotally elsewhere and with health professionals in relation to drooling (caused by sucking). Sore throat and dry mouth are linked given certain conditions. You may also breath through your mouth during the process complicating it. It is important to note some people experience dry mouth at a greater level than others.

Dry mouth also allows bacteria to thrive, and it possibly might be making that worse as well. If you have really bad breath in the morning or a sandpaper/dryness to your mouth, this is likely what it is.

There are some dry mouth remedies, ultimately though sucking is the root problem.

As for immediate affects of sore throat, that largely points to some sort of allergy or perhaps something on the paci itself. Try gargling salt water beforehand to see if it helps.