Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should teens reaaly be driving?

Default Should teens reaaly be driving?

Here in Colorado there is the heinous law you must be at least 15 to drive. Not sure who was high on crack when they passed that but it is just wrong on ALL levels.

First off teens on a neurological basis are NOT ready to drive at this age. They have not matured and are not ready to drive.

They do not understand the importance of paying attention to the road. They are a threat when they get behind the wheel to other drivers on the road and pedestrians because they are more likely to be distracted.

I am highly skeptical you could not get in a car with a teen and not run into a tree or pole. Teens act as highly reckless drivers and should not be able to drive until they are AT LEAST 19 at the minimum.

Just another reason Colorado is a fucked up state and has been for years.

What do you think on this issue?

When I was a teen I didn't see a problem with driving. I was pretty responsible. I didn't text while driving or use my cell while driving. Didn't speed to much. However I feel like there are a lot of reckless drivers out there that make the roads unsafe. For example my first accident was when some idiot decided to cut me off last minute and I rare ended him. He didn't have his license on him and was improper merging. Beening a teen and my first accident, I didn't have the experience on how to deal with that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post

I think that you generalize too much. What you're saying is way to general for a subject as broad as what age people mature at. It's different for everyone, and not every teen will cause accidents and be more easily distracted than somebody who is older than them.

I'd rather be in a car with a teen who was driving for 4 years, as opposed to being stuck in a car with somebody who was 30 and had never driven a day in their life.

A minimum age of 19 is definitely unreasonable in my opinion. At the age of 15-17, most teens are getting into the work force and a valid drivers license is required by a lot of employers. A minimum age of 19 is a stupid way to hinder a younger generation from what could potentially become their livelihood.

Also, you're only 21, have you been driving for more than 2 years? If so, this is kind of ironic/hypocritical. I've been driving pretty much everyday since I was 16, and I've been told I'm a fairly decent driver behind the wheel. I aced both of the driving tests that I had to do, and I also aced the written test.

So, it's not fair to generalize against a certain group of people. Sure, there are always a few bad examples, but you only ever hear of the bad ones; the good ones are never in the spotlight.

-Ron

i think the whole system should on a graduating basis, from bicycle to moped to motorbike to car, with limitations on engine size and carrying capacity, and with examinations (to the car driving test standard) for each graduation.
    the process should have a minimum age for each graduation, starting with age 8 for bicycles and with 20 being the age for the first car test (after which, there'd be further training and testing to permit unlimited use of non-articulated vehicles on the public road).
    certain exceptions regarding the minimum age for graduating and the vehicles permitted would be granted to persons for whom there is a national security consideration or those already invovled/employed in agriculture and/or the transport industry, provided they meet the test standards.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    Just another reason Colorado is a fucked up state and has been for years.

Whilst Colorado is a fucked up state (seriously, like, I think that shit is cursed), I do in fact disagree with you. If someone is capable of driving at 15, why not allow them to, so long as they go through the proper channels? Neurologically, a 15 year old may not be capable of solving complex calculus, but driving really isn't all that hard. I actually find that people in their 20s and 30s tend to be a higher risk, because they seem to be the ones constantly texting!

Again, as Ron said, you're really, really generalizing. To get a license, you have to pass a road test. If you can pass a road test, you're obviously good enough to drive- it means you didn't hit a pole. Everybody has accidents at some point in their lives (no pun or joke intended), so driving at a young age would seem reasonable to me, because it allows just those few extra years of real practice and such, and the freedom to move around as needed, to help out, ETC ETC. 19 to drive? If it were 19 to drive I wouldn't be able to get to College come this coming school year! (I'm from NY, but apply that idea to any state and you'll soon find it to be ludacris.)

I think you're really, really, really, REALLY overreacting.

Quote Originally Posted by lilaznboy View Post
    When I was a teen I didn't see a problem with driving. I was pretty responsible. I didn't text while driving or use my cell while driving. Didn't speed to much. However I feel like there are a lot of reckless drivers out there that make the roads unsafe. For example my first accident was when some idiot decided to cut me off last minute and I rare ended him. He didn't have his license on him and was improper merging. Beening a teen and my first accident, I didn't have the experience on how to deal with that situation.

Goodness I hope you weren't at fault. What happened after that?

I have been in a similar situation and I didn't know how to handle it either and I was 24. Social situations are always hard for me and I rely on other people to help me. But when it comes to being rear ended, they won't help you because they don't want to get in trouble so they will play you. Unless they were honest people, then I've lucked out.

Your post is based off opinion and has no actual data to make such a rash judgement. I don't have actual data, either, but I'm going to speak from personal experiences. I got my license on my 16th birthday and I was actually a good driver. You say that kids don't understand the responsibility, but I'd disagree with you. Of course SOME teens are like that, but not ALL, and probably not even the majority.

When I'm driving and I see dangerous or reckless driving, it's old drivers and even more often middle-aged drivers. Very seldom are they teens in my experiences. Now, I do know some people at college, who are 20 or older, that make very bad decisions about driving. However, that is not necessarily an age variable since people drunk drive at many ages. I can't stand drunk driving, but that's another topic.

Besides, I think it's great that teens get jobs. there are many benefits to it. In most places in America (outside large cities), the public transportation is not very good for getting from point A to point B so driving becomes necessary and having parents take then everywhere would be impossible for most families. Besides, driving should teach kids personal responsibility, something that's becoming more and more rare in this country.

Basically, I see this as just another one of your threads where you have a very rash opinion on something and don't even really contemplate the whole value of the topic nor both its sides. Usually, I just ignore them, but I couldn't help but give my 2 cents on this one.

15 does seem very young! You have to be 17 to drive (on public roads) here, which is probably about right. In my experience, about half the people that end up driving start fairly soon (around 17 or 18), while the other half usually start in their mid-to-late-20s.

I can't imagine any employer requiring their employees to have a driving licence (unless their job involved driving!). And public transport is always an option.

So I guess things are a bit different over here.

its all how you were raised like i know fiends that even after years of driving there still horrible and are dangerous on roads and then theres people like me that have been driving equipment and trucks long before i actually had a licence so. Its more about the experience as a driver.

I agree with Rocky and Ronbeast in that you are pretty much looking at one person in a room full of 7 teen drivers, obviously not all teen drivers are bad drivers or are they all distracted, I would know, I have only been driving a couple years but I have yet to get a ticket or get in an accident.

Personally I think that 19 as a minimum is way to old to just be learning how to drive, teens learn things better at a younger age and remember things better too, so they are bound to remember their drivers education, while older drivers just don't pick up on that stuff easily. My grandmother was well into her late 30's before she started driving and she is 81 now, and her driving was never very good and has since gotten worse (because of old age) but my point is, is that if 15-17 is ok to be able to drive on a street, while paying attention to the road and the area around them, then why limit that experience to an older kid. I frankly do not see the OP's point here.