Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any other hobbyists here?

Default Any other hobbyists here?

I was wondering if there were any other hobbyists here like myself. Recently; I've gotten back into building model kits from the ground up. Right now, I'm working on the USS Excelsior from Star Trek VI and a 1934 Ford roadster for my old man. My old man likes classic cars but he can't build the detailed kits as well as I can; so he asked me to build the roadster for him.

In the next few months I plan on building more planes, cars and starships if I can find them cheap as I am on a fixed income. But I was wondering... am I alone with model-building? I really have been enjoying the work I've been doing on the roadster and the Excelsior.

I know model-building isn't as popular as it once was back in the day but I was wondering... am I the only hobbyist on ADISC?

WildThing121675

Although not quite the same, I build 1/144 scale Gundam model kits from time to time.
    and other anime/game related model kits i can get my hands on.

Haven't modelled in quite a while but I did recently build a guitar from various parts sellers on Ebay. I'm not sure if demand has dropped or if stores stopped bothering to carry kits. I remember every chain drugstore and Target, et al selling them but it seems that shelf space is dedicated to other items now. In a way it's like they killed the Easter Bunny but a lot of it is they made the glue increasingly crappier

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    My old man likes classic cars but he can't build the detailed kits as well as I can; so he asked me to build the roadster for him.
    you're just doing it for the glue

i used to make them when i was younger. my biggest was a Saturn 5, in the 70s, and my most detailed was possibly a Lancaster or a B-45. but, my most liked were the Lysander and the Harrier, simply for their beauty.
    as you can imagine, WW2 took place round our house every time my parents went out, often culminating in firey messes in the backyard and rockets (yep, real ones, homeade, not telling how) and artillery (air-rifle) finishing the job off. so, totally gone none left. occasionally, i'll find a blob of blackened plastic in the back, along with some Action Man body-parts.

anyway, my next-door neighbour's eldest son also made them, unbeknownst to me, and when i eventually got to see them i was gobsmacked at the quality and detail. the thing is, though, he also mounted them in scenes of the same quality and detail. after seeing them, i was of the mind of 'why am i wasting my time? i can't afford all the gear he has', not to mention my getting to that age when hanging out on the streets was more 'fun'.

after a wasted adolescence, need got me into mechanicking and all the nitty-gritty that's a fundamental part of the real vehicles of which i made models. it's funny how often people liken stripped down vehicles and their components to Airfix models.
    in a similar vein, one of my favourite jobs at one place was loading shipping containers with [mostly] engineering stuff, for shipping to the USA. there was no load plan and everything came in 'just in time', meaning that the whole thing was giant jigsaw puzzle (with no photo on the box) on a deadline. sometimes the satisfaction of a job well done was the same as with finishing a model or reassembling a car. of course, sometimes you were glad to be rid of it.

i still get the occasional pang for making models, but i've got nowhere to put them (indeed, one of the banes of my late childhood was of my models being 'accidentally' broken by 'someone' in the house) and i know i'd end up doing exactly as i did when i was younger. except, i now have a camera
    anyway, nowadays my needs are met by more pragmatic concerns, many of which induce the feelings as with making models.

i collect Tamiya 350 scale war-ship (battle ship) models. i like to compare hull-forms and displacement characteristics with main-gun size and location to understand platform stability under fire as compared to each other, and their respective theater of operations.... i also have a complete SOP (with illustrations) for every maned position and operation of an 16 inch turret of the Iowa-class Battle Ships.... it's a qualification and operation manual.

there are other 350 scale war ships i collect as well (simply for size comparison). and other scales i have collected too; all ships of course.

my SO collects large scale armor of all sorts, and builds them too.... (but again mostly Tamiya). maybe i will get some 350 war-ships that i will build at some point... i have been thinking of assembling my bird-farm (the big-E). and maybe finding a couple of the cold-war boats i had dealings with... (594's, 637's, NR-1, a B-girl, seawolf... even a 640). models are a lot more expensive today then when i first started collecting them. it limits what you can afford to tie-up in a collection. .

I build guitars, basses and ukuleles. I also like yoyos :p

It's fun to build things with your own hands, and when you finally finish a preject it is very rewarding.

- - - Updated - - -

I build guitars, basses and ukuleles. I also like yoyos :p . I used to build model cars, but that was a very long time ago and I haven't made one in years. I'd like to pick it up again though.

It's fun to build things with your own hands, and when you finally finish a preject it is very rewarding.

It is VERY rewarding when you see something you have built with your own hands! As for the glue, I use a special non-odor glue cause I can't stand the smell of the glue as my stomach is sensitive to odors for some reason. I find the whole process rewarding, fun and entertaining. Today, I did some touch-up painting on parts before I do some assembly work on the chassis and body of the roadster.

I've not had fun like this in a while. I've been loving the feeling of accomplishment I have been getting with building kits again. It's something I've not felt in a long time!

I am looking to find a Boeing 747 or a Airbus A380 to put together soon. That's the next project I want to do- as well as a Concorde! Plus, I want to build some old WWII ships as well for a friend! I have a list of models I am looking at!

WildThing121675

I was a big model builder when I was a kid. Like others, I assembled a number of battle ships, WW II airplanes, jeeps and tanks. I used them with my little green army men, waging war across my bedroom floor. When I was 11, we moved and I made a very good friend, a boy who lived across the street. He was big into model cars, especially the AMT models. My favorite was the '40 Ford and the '32 Ford. I even won a model car contest for my age group with a '34 Chevrolet. I cut out the door with a razor blade, made two hinges from plastic stock and had a perfect, working hinged door.

By the time I was 14, I was into H. O. model railroading, making my own cars out of wood. I still have them.

Every once in a while in a blue moon, I'll buy an AMT '40 Ford and relive those wonderful days of being a kid. It brings back so many good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I was a big model builder when I was a kid. Like others, I assembled a number of battle ships, WW II airplanes, jeeps and tanks. I used them with my little green army men, waging war across my bedroom floor. When I was 11, we moved and I made a very good friend, a boy who lived across the street. He was big into model cars, especially the AMT models. My favorite was the '40 Ford and the '32 Ford. I even won a model car contest for my age group with a '34 Chevrolet. I cut out the door with a razor blade, made two hinges from plastic stock and had a perfect, working hinged door.

By the time I was 14, I was into H. O. model railroading, making my own cars out of wood. I still have them.

Every once in a while in a blue moon, I'll buy an AMT '40 Ford and relive those wonderful days of being a kid. It brings back so many good memories.
    i just loved having battles in the big sand-box at the park with my little green army-men and plastic tanks (not models). the kids in the neighborhood all had some and we would have big wars sometimes....

i also had some HO scale trains as a kid. never very good or very many. but these days i have a big collection of N-scale trains that are actually getting to be sort of a pain as they are so small. i wish i had HO instead (much easier on the eyes). i even have some G-scale too, but never really got into that yet.