View Poll Results: What is your religious affiliation?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christian

48 39.34%
  • Judaism

0 0%
  • Islam

1 0.82%
  • Sikhism

0 0%
  • Baha'i

3 2.46%
  • Hinduism

1 0.82%
  • Buddhism

6 4.92%
  • Shintoism

0 0%
  • Zoroastrianism

0 0%
  • Confucianism

1 0.82%
  • Neo-Pagan (various types)

6 4.92%
  • Unitarian Universalism

3 2.46%
  • Satanism

3 2.46%
  • Secular Humanism

8 6.56%
  • Atheism

45 36.89%
  • Other

17 13.93%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Religious affiliation/belief system

Default Religious affiliation/belief system

I'm starting this thread given that the poll in the other thread left quite a lot to be desired.

One request: don't select both Christian and LDS. I put both because LDS is very different from mainstream Christianity despite still being a Christian religion (and, therefore, a subset). I made the option to select multiple answers for those of us who combine multiple paths- say, Christopagans.
    Last edited by AEsahaettr; 22-Apr-2013 at 23:36.

Ya I think this one would be better then the other religion topic. But I don't think Buddhism is a religion in it self. Because you can be Christian/Buddhism or Atheist/Buddhism.

To start of the actual discussion: Christian but not really any denomination after the protestant/catholic split. I actually find such things more harmful then helpful to the church as it divides the church based on minor differences when the core beliefs are supposedly the say.

Agnostic, I can think of reasons as to why their could or could not be a God but at the end of the day I can't really pick a side because I don't believe that either side has the answer yet. If we were going by the census then my answer would be Jedi (yeah...I'm that guy).

Quote Originally Posted by Icewolf View Post
    To start of the actual discussion: Christian but not really any denomination after the protestant/catholic split. I actually find such things more harmful then helpful to the church as it divides the church based on minor differences when the core beliefs are supposedly the say.
    I think this is just the nature of organized dogmatic religion, though. Whenever there's significant disagreement, you get a schism. Christianity has it with Protestant/Catholic/Orthodox, and that's not even to start in on the sub-divisions with the first and last of those. Islam has Shi'a and Sunni. Buddhism has Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana. The Amish and Mennonites don't have schools per se, but every group has its own set of beliefs. So on and so forth.

Some systems stay relatively static over time, but this is less common. Confucianism is one example.

Unitarian Universalism is the only religion I'm aware of that formed as a result of two churches merging (namely, the Unitarians and the Universalists).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten View Post
    Agnostic, I can think of reasons as to why their could or could not be a God but at the end of the day I can't really pick a side because I don't believe that either side has the answer yet. If we were going by the census then my answer would be Jedi (yeah...I'm that guy).
    I actually meant to put "fictional religion" as an option. Damnit.

Cue snide remarks from gnostic atheists.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    I actually meant to put "fictional religion" as an option. Damnit.
    Time to start another thread?

On topic: While I have yet to be persuaded that a deity exists, I'm a Dudeist

As our Dudely Lama once wrapped it all up for us:

“Life is short and complicated and nobody knows what to do about it. So don’t do anything about it. Just take it easy, man. Stop worrying so much whether you’ll make it into the finals. Kick back with some friends and some oat soda and whether you roll strikes or gutters, do your best to be true to yourself and others – that is to say, abide.”

I marked down secular humanist. I found out about secular humanism from the little quiz that AEsaheattr posted on the other thread and I found out it matched up pretty much identically with my belief system Previously to that I thought of myself as agnostic-athiest where I believe that there is currently no good proof for a god or gods, so I won't believe in them and won't live a life structured around a belief in what amounts to a shared imaginary friend. But if conclusive proof somehow appears (not having an answer to something is not the same as proof of god) then I'd probably convert to Liberal Quakerism or Universal Unitarianism.