Thread: Keyboard repair

Default Keyboard repair

Yesterday I went and spilled coffee on my keyboard. I tried to clean it up, but it now has several non-functioning keys (including spacebar, which made typing a royal pain until I discovered the onscreen keyboard just now). Is there any way to fix this, or am I going to need a new laptop? Any help is appreciated!

The complicated bit is that it's a laptop I"m sure it can be fixed, but may not be cheap.

Smile

What laptop is it? Some manufacturers have instructions for dismantling the components. If you can get the keyboard out and clean the contacts with some isopropyl alcohol, you should be able to fix it.

It's gotta be worth a go if you're going to have to scrap it otherwise...

If there is still any liquid in there that hasn't evaporated, it would be a good idea to turn the laptop off and unplug the battery in case anything shorts out.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Yesterday I went and spilled coffee on my keyboard. I tried to clean it up, but it now has several non-functioning keys (including spacebar, which made typing a royal pain until I discovered the onscreen keyboard just now). Is there any way to fix this, or am I going to need a new laptop? Any help is appreciated!
    plug in a full-size key-board. every lap-top i have seen has a plug for on in the back somewhere....

Extremely easy fix and pretty cheap. Don't even bother trying to fix the ruined one, as it's probably botched. Most modern laptops allow easy replacement.

Look up the model for your laptop and search around on e-bay for a keyboard. They usually run 20 bucks for ones like Dell.

On Toshiba, Dell, and Gateway model laptops I've taken apart and fixed, it can be done in 4 steps. You remove two screws from underneath the battery. After that, you pry up the top front panel above your keyboard. After that, remove the screws holding the keyboard. Pull the keyboard up and remove the ribbon cable. Done!

It's that easy!

If you want some further help, drop a model number and manufacturer and some pics so I can direct ya!

Or you can just by an ONN keyboard from Walmart for 10 bucks.

Thanks for the ideas guys! I'll probably find a replacement keyboard since I don't trust myself not to break it worse. Thanks for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    remove the ribbon cable
    .. bandage fingers, retry..

Kidding aside, the connector used for most laptop keyboards (can't for the life of me remember what it's called) is a huge pain. It has a locking clip that can be very tricky to work, especially in tight area.. and if you try taking the cable out while it's still engaged you'll wreck it.

Most cables will have a little bit of adhesive paper on the cable that you are supposed to use to pull the cable free of the connector. If you can't pull it out using that, the connector is probably still locked.

This is how I fix a Soda Soak Laptop. Take a little rubbing alcohol and distilled water so it covers the whole part. Take the keyboard in my case take the whole computer apart. Soak each part that effected by Soda or coffee take out give it about 5 hours to dry. Then put it in a bag with dry Rice to finish drying it for 24 hours. Then put the whole thing back together. (Note Hard drives, Fans and such was not affected by soda. Only the Motherboard, Keyboard was affected by the soda. I think I had to clean 5 parts of the laptop.

It work for me on a laptop it should work for a keyboard.

(Note Hard drives they are not air tight so soaking a hard drive will ruin it.)
    (Cdrom or up to blue ray drives if soaked best to buy a new unit.)

You can attack the keys with some spray solvent to see if that helps, but generally with a lot of the thin keyboards you may be sunk.

You don't say what kind of computer it is, but often the keyboard is seperately removable (either to try to fix or to replace). Dells were particuarly easy to pull (you don't even need to disassemble the case).

It was a Acar Laptop. Note this was a full 8 Oz of soda. So depending on how soak it is depend on how much you have to take apart. Some laptops you have to disassemble part of the case to get to the Keyboard. Like my laptop. I have to remove fan cover and a few screws to pull the Bar on top of the laptop to gain access to the keyboard. Once I get that out I can access the two graphics cards.