Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The plagues of entertainment today: Future of CDs, Death of FM Radio, Pirating and File Sharing

Default The plagues of entertainment today: Future of CDs, Death of FM Radio, Pirating and File Sharing

CDs over the last couple of decades have served us well. We often get genuine experiences from CDs, such as getting them signed by our favorite artists. But unfortunately, that has taken a turn for the worst. CDs are dying because people think they are not worth it anymore. Chevy is already putting out a vehicle, the Spark, that has gotten rid of being able to play CDs, that everything you do comes from your MP3 player. So has Smart.There are many disadvantages to digital downloads. One being the fact if your computer crashes, you lose that music and you have to redownload it. Second of all, digital downloads lead to guess what? Pirating and file sharing. Both really should be illegal as musicians like myself have not gotten their fair share of profit because of lazy couch potatoes out there who attach the file in a email and say, "hey check this out." Pirating is really just a sin and anyone who pirates should not have access to the internet.

For example, you have this obscene site called The Pirate Bay. Millions of videos, pictures, audio files get uploaded on that site. Every time someone uploads something, it sucks money out of the hard working creators of that material. Yeah you might think "hooray something I like is free" but you know what you're doing? You're breaking the law. Nothing well worth it is free. People who support this black market activity should be sick with shame. They've made it harder for all of us. What's worse our generations are growing up thinking this is okay. That all music can just be accessed off yiour phone or computer. They think its okay to get this music for free or pay fifty cents or so for a download. Guess what, fifty cents cant pay my bills. So are we going to continue letting our younger generations think this obscene activity is okay? That nobidy gets hurt from it? We're really just brainwashing with a bunch of commercial propaganda.

Next is file sharing if I didnt already bring that up. This site called Forshared, owned by the tyrant Google, lets sharers run amok. We all know about Sirius XM right? Commercial free, unamended radio? Not every startup band can get on Sirius XM. FM radio stations are losing money because those who sponsor them just arent getting any interest. I remember the days when everybody used to call in and request a song. It would get played and everyone would learn about that artist. Not today, no no. You turn on your satellite radios in your cars, yu might get a bit of DJ commentary but thats it, music freely streams at your fingertips. In closing, I hope this speech has made some of you realize that we need to support the sales of CDs and stray away from Last.fm or iTunes. In the end you're not supporting musicians, you're killing them off. Become a more responsible listener, support FM stations and make the right choices.

Thank you.

I disagree with some aspects to this conversation, and not to others. I think in the end, having your file digitally is the superior option. Seeing as how you can burn that file on the CD (which removes any and all "pluses" CD's have in my opinion), and can get access to FLAC losses quality and all the like, I really think that our switch to digital is better for music in general. It's allowed artists a way to actually make names for themselves without attaching themselves to sleazy recording labels, and for me to able to buy their music since they would be unlikely to afford putting a CD where I live. (Proud buyer of music!)

I agree with the frustrations with pirating, but this is people's fault.. not inherently the fault of digital music. I mean, back in the old days you could just burn your friends CD so it's not like this problem didn't exist before. Pirating music has existed before digital music. For all I know it existed even back in our record days.

iTunes and Amazon music greatly support and give access to smaller artists a place to sell their music and gives you access to buying just the music you'll enjoy. We no longer have to buy the entire CD, we can buy the songs we like specifically. It gives the people the ability to have more control of when and where they listen to the music they purchased, and can be played on almost any type of device these days. Digital is good, it's just used by some in bad ways. We should champion good ways of stopping piracy of music, that doesn't stop the free expression and open-exchange of the internet, but CD's are dying for a reason. They just aren't as good.

But it does not answer the question: how are we supposed to make a lviing off the songs users are picky about?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    I remember the days when everybody used to call in and request a song. It would get played and everyone would learn about that artist. Not today, no no. You turn on your satellite radios in your cars, yu might get a bit of DJ commentary but thats it, music freely streams at your fingertips.
    But... the station still chose which calls to put through, so it was they who decided what to play. The listener had little choice. With satellite and online radios, there's more choice. With the Internet, you can look up information on your favourite artists, find similar music and broaden your tastes. Surely that's a good thing for music?

I hope this speech has made some of you realize that we need to support the sales of CDs and stray away from Last.fm or iTunes. In the end you're not supporting musicians, you're killing them off. Become a more responsible listener, support FM stations and make the right choices.
    Why does listening to FM stations benefit musicians more than music sales from iTunes?! If iTunes didn't exist, people who want instant access to music files would just download copyright-infringing versions. And what if FM stations don't play any music that you'd want to listen to? Should we just be forced to listen to music that we don't like out of some kind of moral obligation? I don't understand why one method (e.g. listening to Spotify or buying music on iTunes) should be any "less responsible" than listening to FM. :-/

But it does not answer the question: how are we supposed to make a lviing off the songs users are picky about?
    Isn't it supposed to be the musical artists job to make music people will want to listen to? I don't see why it's fair to force people to buy a CD full of music they won't want to listen to buy one song they do. It's just way to overcharge. A musician should do their best to make people want to buy their entire album, and many artists do. Digital albums, but albums. I feel like the online world gives more opportunities for artists to make money, not less. Most of the time, offering a much cheaper price for buying the entire album then if you bought all the songs singularly is enough to push people to buy the entire album.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I don't understand why one method (e.g. listening to Spotify or buying music on iTunes) should be any "less responsible" than listening to FM. :-/
    The royalties that musicians get from a song played on Spotify or bought on iTunes are much smaller that from listening on FM... it's complicated though, some examples in this article here but it probably varies between territories

I can't figure out how to use multiquote, so the following is going to be poorly formatted, which I apologize for.

"but unfortunately, things have taken a turn for the worst"

As I've said a couple times to you before, albeit on different topics, that's just your opinion. Personally, I prefer having an MP3 player (in this case, my phone). I don't have to fiddle around with changing CD's when I'm driving, it takes up a tiny fraction of the space that the equivalent amount of music (in my case around 50-ish albums' worth) would take up in CD form, and I can easily carry it around wherever I go.

"if your computer crashes, you lose all that music and redownload it"

They're called backups, and if you don't use them, you're doing this whole computer thing wrong.

"musicians like myself have not gotten their fair share of profit because of lazy couch potatoes out there who attach the file in an email and say, "hey check this out."

Not to be insulting, but I have a hard time imagining that you're popular enough to either be pirated or take a significant hit from sales lost due to piracy. But in your email example, you do know that the recipient of the email likely never would have heard about whatever music was sent to him otherwise, right? For example, I could send somebody an Einsturzende Neubauten song, and I'd be willing to bet good money that they never would have heard of them before (by the way, if you haven't, they're amazing). It's free publicity, and it creates a possibility for a sale that wouldn't have existed otherwise.

"Every time someone uploads something, it sucks money out of the creators of the material "

Disregarding whether or not piracy is actually stealing money from the artist in the sense that actually going and taking money from the artist is, The Pirate Bay, despite its name, is not exclusively a site for illegal content. It is a torrent hosting site. Any artist who wants people to be able to hear their music (y'know, the point of the thing?) can upload a torrent of their music to The Pirate Bay. And you could legally download it.

"Nothing well worth it is free."

This is not entirely true. For example, some artists release music on a pay what you want system. You can pay nothing and download their albums, or you can pay $1, $5, etc.

"our generations are growing up thinking this is okay. That all music can just be accessed off your phone or computer. They think its okay to get this music for free or pay fifty cents or so for a download."

It is okay (barring getting it for free, except in cases where the artist puts it out for free). There is nothing inherently right/wrong with having all your music on your computer or phone, just like there's nothing inherently right/wrong with having it all on vinyl, or CD, or cassette tape.

"Guess what, fifty cents can't pay my bills"

I would argue that if your primary motive for making music is "paying the bills" rather than making (good) music, you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

On a whole, I think we just have different ideas on what the effects of (legal) downloadable music on the artist are. You seem to believe that it prevents artists from making money because, well, actually you didn't explain that very well. I believe that it's a step in the right direction. In my opinion, in an ideal world we'd be able pay the artists themselves, rather than so many middle men taking their own cuts of the profits.

Quote Originally Posted by MsClaraRiddle View Post
    The royalties that musicians get from a song played on Spotify or bought on iTunes are much smaller that from listening on FM... it's complicated though, some examples in this article here but it probably varies between territories
    Ohh... well, I still don't really see listening to streamed music as irresponsible.

If you were going to say that, you could use the same argument to say that it's irresponsible to listen to FM radio because artists don't make as much money as if you bought the CD...

At least if I use an online media player, the adverts that appear pay the artist for my access to the track... If I listen to FM... no one knows about it and the artists don't get a penny extra...

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Ohh... well, I still don't really see listening to streamed music as irresponsible.

If you were going to say that, you could use the same argument to say that it's irresponsible to listen to FM radio because artists don't make as much money as if you bought the CD...

At least if I use an online media player, the adverts that appear pay the artist for my access to the track... If I listen to FM... no one knows about it and the artists don't get a penny extra...
    I'm not sure I'm on board with the "irresponsible" thing either, just pointing up why it could be argued...

Yeah you don't have to listen to the radio, just be sure and tell any market researchers you do - that way their audience figure will be bigger and they need to pay more for performing rights.

It's called Capitalism, produce a product that people like at a fair price and people will buy. Businesses who swear by that principle thrive and those who don't are doomed to failure. That's how the market works, it's how it's worked since the concept of commerce and exchange was first invented. Capitalism is about VOLUNTARY exchange, customers shouldn't be forced to buy things they don't want. I know this sounds harsh, but the truth is, it sucks, but it's the way things are, the way things are going to go. There's only ONE proven way to reduce piracy, and let's not kid ourselves, we can't completely kill piracy, only reduce it, The only way to do that is to sell a product people want at a fair price and provide a better service than your competitors. Gabe Newell said it best. "Piracy is a service problem, not a pricing problem."

Here's a video to further educate you on this matter: