Thread: Explosion at Texas Fertilizer Plant

Default Explosion at Texas Fertilizer Plant

The images are pretty shocking at the scope of damage and the size of the explosion. Currently the project is over 100 injured and no count yet of fatalities other then there are confirmed ones. The report on the New York Times says up to 75 houses damaged, and seen other places ranging from 75 to 100. Feel bad for the community of West.

BBC News - Many casualties in Texas Waco fertiliser plant blast
    Huge Blast at Texas Fertilizer Plant-New York Times

once again, sympathies to all concerned. but, wtf?! with this:

is that really 'town planning in the public interest'? especially with the former concerns about saftey at the site.
    talk about reckless endangerment.........

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    once again, sympathies to all concerned. but, wtf?! with this:

is that really 'town planning in the public interest'? especially with the former concerns about saftey at the site.
    talk about reckless endangerment.........
    Might as well build houses next to a huge fireworks factory. That way when something does happen at least it'll be "pretty". It was also like 7 or 8 pm there. So people were clearly in homes though guess at least the middle school was empty.

Having driven that route a number of times and stopped in West quite often for a rest stop of local acclaim, seeing something like this happening there is really different. I actually recognize the surroundings where some of the pictures of blast were taken.

I'm going to avoid passing judgment about whether something was amiss here until more details come out about the incident. For now, this is an disaster situation that is both very sizeable in scope in absolute terms and relative to the local resources of the Waco area.

It's sad that the coverage of this was over after two days.....

The coverage certainly isn't over here in Austin.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting something like this to happen when I travelled over here, especially when the town was not that far from the Interstate I drove on to get from Dallas to Austin. As a humble visitor, my thoughts go out to those people who have lost so much from the explosion.

Simply put, I would still like to know how the explosion happened. Not sure if it has been mentioned in the news already or not.