Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: How and when can you tell whether or not an EXCRUCIATING sore throat is a cold?

  1. #1

    Unhappy How and when can you tell whether or not an EXCRUCIATING sore throat is a cold?

    I haven't been here in awhile, since the move from Texas in February has really taken almost all of my time away from me, not to mention we were without Internet service for 3 weeks. Anyway, if you remember, I am a 29-year-old Gemini and therefore in for a very unhappy birthday this summer that has me depressed beyond words!!!

    But what has me worried at the moment is the fact that, although I am a NON-SMOKING, CHILDLESS, VIRGIN TEETOTALER who has never taken any drug more serious than a vitamin and Cod Liver Oil (every single day of my life to boost my immune system) within the past year, I have an excruciating sore throat and a cough drop in my mouth that barely helps!!!

    See, what really has me upset is that I don't know how or why I would be catching a cold!!! I don't work, go to school, or associate with many people, and I haven't had one since November of 2011 (17 months ago). So can you please help me before Age 29 gets ruined, just like every other age in my life besides "Lucky 27", with a disease I pride myelf on not getting?!?!?!? This would make it my 13th cold since turning 20 and thus an average of 1.3 per year, HELP!!!!!!!

  2. #2

    Default

    Why is being sick such a big deal? Most people just take two paracetamol and go back to work.

    Also if you don't associate with people your immune system will suck no matter how much cod liver oil you drink.

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by huskvarna View Post
    Why is being sick such a big deal? Most people just take two paracetamol and go back to work.

    Also if you don't associate with people your immune system will suck no matter how much cod liver oil you drink.
    Well, I don't have a job to go to, but when I went to school, I usually went anyway unless I had a fever. And my Cod Liver Oil is a gel capsule, not the nasty-tasting kind you drink, but you would think that after taking it for so many years, I would be pretty much "immune" to the common cold. My whole life (i.e. not dating, not having kids, planning an FtM transition, etc.) is pretty much centered around my mom's dream of turning me into a big, strong "superhero" who never catches colds (let alone anything more serious), so naturally, I'm taking this pretty hard!!! My hearing is becoming increasingly quiet with every sneeze, due to a high-pitched ringing noise in my head, and emotionally, I feel like I could just break-down and cry were I not trying to be so "manly" without a much-needed high dosage of Testosterone I've never been given. But I'm not worried about that right now -- I just wonder if this truly is a cold! And my temp (now 98.8) is up a few degrees from my usual 97.5.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Uh-oh!!! I just took my temperature again (digital thermometer), and it said 99.3, and it's 5:45 AM. My previous mention of 98.8 was based on my 2:00 AM reading. What am I going to do if I can't get to sleep thanks to this excruciating pain and malaise (a light-headed feeling of slight weakness with dull hearing and vision), and what am I going to tell my mom and anyone else who may wonder, tomorrow or the next day, why I "sound like I've got a mop bucket on my head" from becoming so nasally like I almost always do when I feel like this?!?!?!?

  4. #4

    Default

    Question, if you are so worried about this so called cold, why are you asking us, and not just looking on WebMD (even though this is not a reliable source for diagnosing yourself for diseases) Anyways, like the previous person said, if all you do is live alone and never see the outside world, then your Cod Liver Oil (which sounds disgusting) is not really doing anything, it won't matter if it is a cold or a type of flu, but your body will still get it, because it has never seen that type of bacteria before and therefore cannot fight it, unless helped by something other than Cod Liver Oil. I recommend just get some rest and drink some OJ.

    Can you please explain to us, why in every thread you type, you talk about your mother controlling your life, just get a job and move out, if you don't like it, (which you shouldn't since you are nearly 30, and I do not know any 30 year old who still lives at home quite frankly) then move out and solve your problems. Your whole "superhero" thing is pathetic, I bet even Spiderman and Superman catch a cold or two, a cold is the only non curable viral infectious disease and so therefore, whether you like it or not, and have been "immuninizing" all your life, you will still catch a cold every once in a while.

    I suggest finding a steady job and moving out, but in the meantime, just take some vitamins or cough drops (such as Cold-Eeze) and drink lots of Orange Juice, you'll be fine, stop worrying so much.

  5. #5

    Default

    You should drop the cod liver oil and take vitamin C...and echinacea...

    Oh wait..I'm not a doctor! (who knew?)

    My suggestions:
    #1 You're 28 years old - GET A JOB!
    #2 Stop whining and do something about it---in other words---GO SEE A DOCTOR!

    Oh, am I being too rough on you? Tough sh*t. This is not nursery school. And you should count yourself bloody lucky if you only have 1.3 colds per year when the average person has twice that!

    A sore throat not soothed by a 'cough drop' (btw, unless you have a cough why are you using cough drops?) could be indicative of something more serious than the common cold (which, btw, usually disappears after 7-10 days). As someone has already pointed out...regardless of how many cod liver oil capsules you ingest...your immune system is probably crap (it's a wonder you don't catch more colds...and worse).

    Again...go see a doctor...maybe it's Strep (although your 0.2 degrees above normal (98.6 is NORMAL and it doesn't matter if it's not 'normal' for you...a hospital/doctor will look at 98.8 and say "you're fine" fever-wise) temperature would suggest otherwise)...could be tonsilitis (Do you still have your tonsils?)...maybe it's something to do with your adenoids.

    See...we're not doctors...we can't help you....what you need to do is go to a hospital (where they're probably going to tell you to go the he** home and stop wasting their time) or a walk-in clinic...or your family doctor.

    Personally...to me...your entire post(s) smack heavily of someone who is a hypochondriac. But then I'm not a psychiatrist either. Dang, I should really go to medical school or something.

  6. #6

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Naleas View Post
    Question, if you are so worried about this so called cold, why are you asking us, and not just looking on WebMD?
    Actually, I have posted this thread on 4 different websites, one of them being a medical one and the others Q&A sites (Yahoo! Answers, where I got 1 answer as a Level 7 user, and Answerbag).


    Quote Originally Posted by ayanna View Post
    You should drop the cod liver oil and take vitamin C...and echinacea...

    Oh wait..I'm not a doctor! (who knew?)

    My suggestions:
    #1 You're 28 years old - GET A JOB!
    #2 Stop whining and do something about it---in other words---GO SEE A DOCTOR!

    Oh, am I being too rough on you? Tough sh*t. This is not nursery school. And you should count yourself bloody lucky if you only have 1.3 colds per year when the average person has twice that!

    A sore throat not soothed by a 'cough drop' (btw, unless you have a cough why are you using cough drops?) could be indicative of something more serious than the common cold (which, btw, usually disappears after 7-10 days). As someone has already pointed out...regardless of how many cod liver oil capsules you ingest...your immune system is probably crap (it's a wonder you don't catch more colds...and worse).

    Again...go see a doctor...maybe it's Strep (although your 0.2 degrees above normal (98.6 is NORMAL and it doesn't matter if it's not 'normal' for you...a hospital/doctor will look at 98.8 and say "you're fine" fever-wise) temperature would suggest otherwise)...could be tonsilitis (Do you still have your tonsils?)...maybe it's something to do with your adenoids.

    See...we're not doctors...we can't help you....what you need to do is go to a hospital (where they're probably going to tell you to go the he** home and stop wasting their time) or a walk-in clinic...or your family doctor.

    Personally...to me...your entire post(s) smack heavily of someone who is a hypochondriac. But then I'm not a psychiatrist either. Dang, I should really go to medical school or something.



    But in other news, my temp has dropped back down to 97.3, and my throat, though not as excruciating, still hurts. My nose gets stuffier with every sneeze, and my nostrils are doing that thing where they take turns being the stuffy one, creating a nasally sound in my voice.

  8. #8

    Default

    Clearly you have no idea how the immune system and pathogens work. Even the healthiest people can get sick at times, maybe not as often but pathogens have some seriously good machinery that enables them to pass through our bodies defences so you can cry and moan all you like but eventually you will get sick occasionally. It just happens. Take some paracetamol, drink fluids and try not to talk and eventually it will go away but you need to give it time. If it persists then go to a doctor because it could be something like laryngitis but you are unlikely to die so calm down; 97.3 isn't even considered a true fever IIRC.

  9. #9

    Default

    You know if you're that worried, go to a doctor's instead of posting and an AB site where you're not exactly going to get any good medical help. Also please please lay of the bold, it burns my eyes.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten View Post
    Clearly you have no idea how the immune system and pathogens work. Even the healthiest people can get sick at times, maybe not as often but pathogens have some seriously good machinery that enables them to pass through our bodies defences so you can cry and moan all you like but eventually you will get sick occasionally. It just happens. Take some paracetamol, drink fluids and try not to talk and eventually it will go away but you need to give it time. If it persists then go to a doctor because it could be something like laryngitis but you are unlikely to die so calm down; 97.3 isn't even considered a true fever IIRC.
    No, it isn't a fever, but that's my point -- my fever is gone!!! Yaaaaay!!! It's kind of hard to find a doctor, though, since I'm new here and the best in town aren't taking new patients. But I've been through this many times before (bad sore throats that turn into colds) and haven't been to one about it since I was 9 years old and in the 3rd grade (diagnosis: bronchitis). And yes, I realize I'm telling you that I was a year behind in school, but that's because Mom put me in kindergarten at 6, partly due to the fear of me catching lots of colds (which I did) after a baby/toddlerhood of just 1 or 2 per year like I get now.



    Quote Originally Posted by Naota View Post
    You know if you're that worried, go to a doctor's instead of posting and an AB site where you're not exactly going to get any good medical help. Also please please lay of the bold, it burns my eyes.
    As I stated above, I've posted this on multiple sites. And that's just my writing style (sorry).

Similar Threads

  1. Strep Throat
    By Cherub in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 22-Dec-2011, 06:41
  2. sore throat
    By cavemans in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 18-Jan-2011, 04:59
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2009, 21:43
  4. Cold/Flu what do you do?
    By Fire2box in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 15-Jul-2009, 18:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.