Thread: At the dentist today.

Default At the dentist today.

I have terrible anxiety going to the dentist, being trapped in that chair but that's another story. Today i wen't for my biannual cleaning and while enduring the scraping and polishing some mess got on my face just below my lips in the right side and the girl doing the cleaning picked up the corner of the bib thing and lovingly blotted it up. I smiled and let out a little chuckle, it struck me in a wonderful being babied way. It happened twice more during the 45 minutes I was in the chair and they were just as good as the first. I don't think of myself as an AB but this innocent little gesture took back to a wonderful place.

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    I have terrible anxiety going to the dentist, being trapped in that chair but that's another story. Today i wen't for my biannual cleaning and while enduring the scraping and polishing some mess got on my face just below my lips in the right side and the girl doing the cleaning picked up the corner of the bib thing and lovingly blotted it up. I smiled and let out a little chuckle, it struck me in a wonderful being babied way. It happened twice more during the 45 minutes I was in the chair and they were just as good as the first. I don't think of myself as an AB but this innocent little gesture took back to a wonderful place.
    Bet it wouldn't have quite the same effect it if was this guy:

For the uninitiated.

That guy might be one of the reasons I have an unreasonable fear of going to the dentist.
    But this was a good thing for once!

Isn't it funny how those little acts can brighten everything up? Just being treated in a babyish way for a moment can actually bring a real surge of joy. Around Christmas I was out with family, and we had to stuff five people into the car. I took the middle seat, and since we were all packed in, someone reached across and did my seat belt up for me. For some reason, someone doing that for me made me feel so warm and happy, like for a brief moment I was a little one being taken care of. I know it wasn't the intent, but it still felt special for me. So I get what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    That guy might be one of the reasons I have an unreasonable fear of going to the dentist.
    But this was a good thing for once!
    Going to the dentist sucks -- not an unreasonable fear at all! Honestly, (and I'm being dead serious about this) my best dental experience was having my wisdom teeth extracted last year. It was fantastic. They gassed me, gave me an IV, and I woke up when it was over. There was bleeding, sure, but I was buzzing on some serious narco-meds and didn't care. I think I'd rather do that again than endure the usual cleanings. That polish stuff is particularly unpleasant!

Haha, GalacticSushiMan , I was thinking exactly the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Isn't it funny how those little acts can brighten everything up? Just being treated in a babyish way for a moment can actually bring a real surge of joy. Around Christmas I was out with family, and we had to stuff five people into the car. I took the middle seat, and since we were all packed in, someone reached across and did my seat belt up for me. For some reason, someone doing that for me made me feel so warm and happy, like for a brief moment I was a little one being taken care of. I know it wasn't the intent, but it still felt special for me. So I get what you're saying.
    Thank you Adventurer! At least one person one person here got the point of how a simple gesture can strike through one's brain like a lightning bolt in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by GalacticSushiMan View Post
    Bet it wouldn't have quite the same effect it if was this guy:

For the uninitiated.
    The funny thing is I know guys exactly like the other guy. My roommate last year is one case we found out after donating blood. He would seem to really enjoy the process kinda like bill Murray's character.

Also I love little shop of horrors and most of Rick moranis movies. I usually don't like the dentist but last time I went was a filling. He didn't have me all the way numbed so I felt almost everything which was kinda nice compared to not being able to feel my face for a day like the time before.