Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The many myths of metal music in society.

Default The many myths of metal music in society.

Here I dissect some of many of the misconceptions people and critics have toward metal music hopefully this will put some belief into people metal does take talent.

Myth 1: Metal is all about Satanic worship and many of the members of metal groups of Satanists themselves.

Dissection: No, despite popular belief metal is not focused all around Satan nor are the creators of metal content. Metal was created as a dark genre and the foundation as well as content was built around that.

Myth 2: Screaming and growling doesnt take talent.

Dissection: No, it takes much effort to make those screams and growls sound real and not airy.

Myth 3: Screaming and growling as hazardous.

Dissection: So far this is the only true myth thrown around on the internet. it can be hazardous towards the vocal capacities and lifespan as it puts much stress on the vocal chords.

Myth 4: Metal warps the listeners mind to think a certain way.

Dissection: No, metal does not seduce the those who listen to it to think any different than if one were to listen to rap music or pop music.

Myth 5: Many metal bands do not stay together for long.

Dissection: This answer varies between yes and no. As much as I hate to say it, many metal bands dont stay together for long. Whether it be a lack of interest by the industry or the members wishes are just not being fulfilled, For every metal band that disbands, its just another fatality to the genre.

Myth 1: Metal is all about Satanic worship and many of the members of metal groups of Satanists themselves.
    The exception being a lot of Black Metal.

Myths 3-4. Snip
    Evidently.

Unless your a very old Evangelical Christian from the 70's.

The Big 5 in thrash and others have been around for over 30+ years.

Here I dissect some of many of the misconceptions people and critics have toward metal music hopefully this will put some belief into people metal does take talent.
    These aren't really misconceptions...just people of differing opinion that don't like the genre. Frankly, I think the metal genre at large is just fine with that.

I think that any kind of music can direct your thoughts. Indeed, when I listen to certain kinds of music, it influences my mood, and therefore, my thoughts. If I listen to much metal, it tends to make me angry, and in turn, I get angry thoughts. I do like metal, however. So it puts me in kind of a dilemma lol.

Re: Myth 5 there are bands that have longevity as the names of the bands themselves, with 1 or 2 founding or longest-serving members and a constant revolving door of sidemen. There's a rather ridiculous situation currently with 2 versions of Queensryche with each party claiming to be the 'face' of the band. About the only band I can name off the top of my head that has all the same members for 30+ years is Rush, though they can't be defined as metal and besides that Neil Peart was not the original drummer.

If anyone cares to see a representation of myths and metal, stereotypes and hoaxes, a good starting point would be to watch The Decline Of Western Civilization Part 2. The opening scenes of metal fans being subjected to 'deprogramming' by their elders is a bit extreme but shows the height of paranoia during those times.

I personally think its not very helpful to look at metal as one narrow genre. Metal incredibly diverse and bands have wildly different sounds, styles and fan-bases.

I can honestly say I'm not a fan of metal music, but I sometimes go to gigs with friends. Metalheads are usually some of the friendliest, most positive people I know. Contrast this with some relaxed indie gigs I've been to where the crowd was full of assholes. It's a funny juxtaposition.

Default Re: The many myths of metal music in society.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    I personally think its not very helpful to look at metal as one narrow genre. Metal incredibly diverse and bands have wildly different sounds, styles and fan-bases.
    I agree, there are so many sub-genres of metal out there. Sometimes its hard to distinguish so people put them in multiple genres.

One of those being Dream Theater. They have so many different influences from past generations that they have (in my eyes) created their own genre of music, its more of experimenting with so many elements of music. They have a very dedicated fan base. Some people like them and some people don't.

Metal has some bands that are satanic in nature. A lot of metal is frowned upon by religious societies due to the lyrics and the brutality of music.

A lot of metal is inspired by books. Mythical battles. Mythical people. The list can go on and on. Metal can be about emotional issues (not just emo). Some is against government actions.

But we can find all of these things in all sorts of different kinds of music.

I don't like most growling/screaming bands, it sounds very repetitive. You listen to one song and the next one sounds the same. Cannibal Corpse, Lamb of God, you name it, with a slightly different riff and solo, its another track on the album. I do like some screaming bands because their music is different from track to track, or they don't scream through the entire song or they are more than just 5000 strums a minute.

I like some complexity in the music I listen to. I like listening to singing. I like listening to screams but it has to be understandable or not just useless screaming through the entire song.

[QUOTE=BabyBalto;1043006]Myth 1: Metal is all about Satanic worship and many of the members of metal groups of Satanists themselves.[/QUOTE]

No sane person would believe that any more than they'd believe that long hair made someone morally degenerate.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    Myth 2: Screaming and growling doesnt take talent.

Dissection: No, it takes much effort to make those screams and growls sound real and not airy.
    Effort isn't the same as talent. Screaming and growling requires so little talent compared to the skill required to produce electronic music, for example...

I remember you claiming that the only "real music" is music played with traditional instruments. Well, wouldn't your definition of "real music" also require that someone sing traditionally too?

Myth 3: Screaming and growling as hazardous.

Dissection: So far this is the only true myth thrown around on the internet. it can be hazardous towards the vocal capacities and lifespan as it puts much stress on the vocal chords.
    So "myth 3" isn't actually a myth?! It's a myth that it's a myth?!

Myth 4: Metal warps the listeners mind to think a certain way.

Dissection: No, metal does not seduce the those who listen to it to think any different than if one were to listen to rap music or pop music.
    As with "myth 1", you'd have to be clinically insane to ascribe supernatural forces to one particular genre of music.

Dissection: This answer varies between yes and no.
    Surely that's the same for bands of any genre?! And, since many bands of any genre don't stay together for long... this is another "myth" which isn't actually a myth!

But, still, you've convinced me. I hated heavy metal before, but reading your post has completely changed my musical tastes.

Biggest myth of all: There are "screamed" vocals in heavy metal.

No, there are not; or, at least, they're certainly not particularly common. There are harsh vocals in some subgenres of metal. Almost none of them are screamed. Screamed vocals are found in hardcore and its derivatives. Hardcore is not heavy metal. Metalcore is not heavy metal. Bands which feature screaming pretty much always take far more from modern hardcore than they do from metal.

Quote Originally Posted by MOPaddED View Post
    There's a rather ridiculous situation currently with 2 versions of Queensryche with each party claiming to be the 'face' of the band.
    Queensryche might as well have stopped existing 20 years ago, anyway; they haven't been good since Rage for Order, and they haven't even sounded remotely like Queensryche since Empire. Also, Geoff Tate these days is one of the most hilarious examples of unintentional self-parody I've ever seen.

There are plenty of long-lived metal bands in earnest, though. Fates Warning, Virgin Steele, and Overkill all certainly qualify.