View Poll Results: Should windchimes be banned?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! They are evil!

14 53.85%
  • NO! They are enchanting! (Mwah ha ha!)

12 46.15%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windchimes: soothing or Satanic?

Exclamation Windchimes: soothing or Satanic?

My next-door neighbour has given in to dark forces and installed a cheap, tuneless, metallic windchime in their back garden.

Whenever I want to relax in the garden I can hear it. At night, its sharp shrill tinkling causes my blood to boil as I lay there unable to sleep and forced to listen to it like the continual dripping of Chinese water torture.

As the breeze drops and I start to relax, at the back of my mind I know that, at any second, the peace will be shattered with a CLANKer-TINK-a-tink-a-chinkle and my heart races in anticipation of the inevitable disturbance as I was just about to drop off to sleep again!!!! AAAaAAAAAAAaaaAAAAAaaaAAAAAAaAargh!

I was wondering what kind of sinister, malevolent creature would ever want to possess a windchime, and I came to the conclusion that only a warped and disturbed mind (far worse than my own) could be capable of such brutal auditory enslavement. It is, I fear, the work of the devil (which, as an atheist, surprises even me, but I re-examined the logic and it all checks out).

I contend that the presence of such evil sounds will warp the minds of all who hear it. (Sadly, it may be to late for me. I already feel a compelling urge to dress as a Morris Dancer and cover my clothes with bells to keep a clankering din with me at all times. Maybe in time I will be driven to live amongst the cows of the Swiss Alps unable to escape the mind-altering siren calls of their cowbells).

So... I propose that, given the maliciously destructive, corrupting and addictive properties of windchimes, they should be considered a controlled substance with possession subject to a five year prison sentence, and life for dealing in such misery.

Who's with me?

(P.S. Do you think sleep deprivation is affecting my sanity? Pah! Of course not! I'm as sane as the next buttercup.)

i can't really vote as i do like windchimes and i don't. i really like the wood ones but the metal ones really really annoy me as they are too high pitched for my liking

Quote Originally Posted by TemujinRain View Post
    i can't really vote as i do like windchimes and i don't. i really like the wood ones but the metal ones really really annoy me as they are too high pitched for my liking
    Bah! The wood ones are much better than the metal ones... but to me that's like saying that a kick in the nuts is better than decapitation!

I'm so tempted to leap out of bed, stark naked (except for a diaper) and just storm round there at 3am, and shout, "DINGLE JANGLE CHINK-TINK A DINKLE" under their bedroom window until someone has me committed. At least a padded cell will be well-insulated against outside sounds!

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    My next-door neighbour has given in to dark forces and installed a cheap, tuneless, metallic windchime in their back garden.
    air-rifle

or, in wee hours, go round to their bins and start slamming the lids in time to the chime. if they say owt, just tell 'em, "it's good! i like it! "
    crazy wins.

Hmmm... interesting...
    After many hours of intensive meditation, I´d say you have two options:

1. Call the other villagers, grab some torches and pitchforks, go over to your neighbour´s cottage and burn this demonic home of madness and evil down, together with all of it´s germ-infested residents!
    They shall be devoured by a wave of purifying flames!
    Burn, fanatic! BURN!! AAAAHAHAAAAHAHAHAAA!!!!

2. Sleep with ear protectors.

Problems are combustible

I used to have the misfortune to live near a shop that had a Mosquito device installed, so I can deeply sympathise with how disruptive repetitive but irregular noise can be when you're trying to sleep. I can particularly relate to the bit about waiting for it to start again...

If you have agreeable neighbours it might be worth asking them nicely if they would mind taking the windchime down when they're not using their garden?

I hate them. My mom loved them to death, and would put them up everywhere. Back when I lived with her (and she was a reletively good person in my eyes), I'd hear the evil things chiming throughout the night, and it always gave me the creeps. I hated it. They'd chime even on nights when there was hardly a breeze, and it would scare me enough to make sleeping difficult. To this day, I cannot stand them. They make nights extremely difficult.

Besides what has been mentioned: how about TALKING TO YOUR NEIGHBOR?

I mean, it's annoying and keeping you from a good nights rest... be polite, but make your point.

Default Re: Windchimes: soothing or Satanic?

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    Besides what has been mentioned: how about TALKING TO YOUR NEIGHBOR?

I mean, it's annoying and keeping you from a good nights rest... be polite, but make your point.
    ...Oooorrrrr... get something louder and more obnoxious that also works their nerver and make an offer.