Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: To Our UK Members

Default To Our UK Members

Margaret Thatcher passed away this past week and the news showed people in England dancing in the street singing "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead". My question is, was she really that bad? She seemed like such a good ally with the U.S. when she was P.M. and I was wondering if we didn't hear the full story of her term.

This is going to polarize people so I invite you to join in with the discussion at risk to your reputation

I am a believer that while she must have done some good it's far outweighed by the bad she did, she made millions of people unemployed through attacking trade unions and shutting down industry, and cost thousands their lives during the Falklands debacle. I'm not saying I could do better, but I don't think there are many people who could have done much worse. Hittler was good for Germany he took it out of a depression and turned it into a global super power, Margret Thatcher did almost the exact opposite, even let the Polish invade.... jk but seriously there is much justification for the street parties.

Yet I am still a believer in John Donne

No man is an island,
    Entire of itself.
    Each is a piece of the continent,
    A part of the main.
    If a clod be washed away by the sea,
    Europe is the less.
    As well as if a promontory were.
    As well as if a manor of thine own
    Or of thine friend's were.
    Each man's death diminishes me,
    For I am involved in mankind.
    Therefore, send not to know
    For whom the bell tolls,
    It tolls for thee.

Not really sure, and don't have a handle on the facts, but I think any leader facing the tyrannies she had to in that decade would probably be ostracized for the inevitable fall out that ensues..... I wonder was she just the unfortunate 'patsy'

Default To Our UK Members

I think the short of it is that Tatcher is one of the most polarizing political figure of the last century. Some people see her as a savior of Britain, others see her as someone that made the middle class and the poor. Even history hasn't judged her yet.

Frankly, you can tell a lot about one's political leanings by asking them what they think of Tatcher. She has that power to not let people indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by DylanK View Post
    This is going to polarize people so I invite you to join in with the discussion at risk to your reputation

Yet I am still a believer in John Donne
    I am fully aware of the ensuing debate and almost didn't ask the question. I'm sure if it gets too much out of hand, the admins will close the thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    I think the short of it is that Tatcher is one of the most polarizing political figure of the last century. Some people see her as a savior of Britain, others see her as someone that made the middle class and the poor. Even history hasn't judged her yet.

Frankly, you can tell a lot about one's political leanings by asking them what they think of Tatcher. She has that power to not let people indifferent.
    She was a good friend of President Reagan who was and still is a polarizing figure himself.

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    She was a good friend of President Reagan who was and still is a polarizing figure himself.
    As much as Reagan was polarizing, its really not even close to Tatcher. I think they get similar love from the right, but the hatred that Tatcher gets form the left is nothing like what Reagan gets. Not to say the left likes Reagan, but I don't think they outright hate him, and AFAIK they didn't dance and sing when he died.

I had heard the same reasons given on our news, that she had shut down factories, erasing jobs because of her economic positions. Never the less, I was surprised that so many people rejoiced in her death. I was not a Reagan fan, but I felt a sense of sadness in his passing. He was a significant part of history, and he had the greatest influence in ending the Cold War.

As much as Reagan was polarizing, its really not even close to Tatcher. I think they get similar love from the right, but the hatred that Tatcher gets form the left is nothing like what Reagan gets. Not to say the left likes Reagan, but I don't think they outright hate him, and AFAIK they didn't dance and sing when he died.
    A big part of that is because he died before the American left got strong again. The Clinton Democrats were largely centrists, and the left didn't coalesce into much of anything until long after Reagan had kicked it. If Reagan had lived this long and kicked it last week, I think there'd be a lot more jubilation than there was in 2004.

Not to say the left likes Reagan, but I don't think they outright hate him, and AFAIK they didn't dance and sing when he died.
    I don't remember any, at least none shown on the news.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I had heard the same reasons given on our news, that she had shut down factories, erasing jobs because of her economic positions. Never the less, I was surprised that so many people rejoiced in her death. I was not a Reagan fan, but I felt a sense of sadness in his passing. He was a significant part of history, and he had the greatest influence in ending the Cold War.
    It was a sad time when he passed away. Funerals for ex presidents seem to bring the past presidents together, at least for awhile. But Bush Sr. and Clinton have seemingly become buddy-buddy.

Countdown

I changed my avatar to a picture of her as a sort of tribute (now it's Henrique Capriles). I'm not British, but I largely support her policies.

From what I understand, she was deeply conservative and capitalistic, and she shifted the focus of the UK's economy from blue-collar mining work to white-color banking work. A lot of wealthier people in London like her, but a lot of blue-collar or ex-blue-collar families from northern England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland dislike her tremendously, because a lot of miners and other blue-collar workers lost their jobs. Again, not British, but this is what I've read online anyway.