Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to try waxing

Default Time to try waxing

I'm fed up with shaving and want to try waxing. Anybody with experience have any tricks and tips when waxing or what kind of wax is best? I have heard of sugaring and I'll have time soon to try and prepare it. My main fear is that I'll get a bajillion ingrown hairs.

professorbock

Hi, dracodex.

Yes, I've given this venue of hair removal an incredible three years of thought. In fact, pubic hair sure is itchy and annoying when it grows back. I wish I could find the time to wax myself with basic supplies.

What do I mean? you will have to make your own "kit" of cheap cotton gauze and "wax." Honestly, the pre-made body waxing kits for stores are actually only available online.

I've been to Walmart, Walgreens and various grocery stores. It isn't available in-store. At least, no kits large enough to do body waxing. You'll most likely only find small eyebrow and face waxing kits.

Many a time, microwavable and disposable waxing kits are not sold in retail stores anymore. It's become a salon-only thing for someone to give you a bikini wax all down there.

So do a Google search for "sugaring wax hair" and you'll find the right recipe to cook a batch in your own home. Just grab a cruddy aluminum pot and a hot plate, some popsicle sticks and you're in business.

Well, that is, if you're like me and can take some pain. Riiiip! Ohh man!

Quote Originally Posted by dracodex View Post
    I'm fed up with shaving and want to try waxing. Anybody with experience have any tricks and tips when waxing or what kind of wax is best? I have heard of sugaring and I'll have time soon to try and prepare it. My main fear is that I'll get a bajillion ingrown hairs.
    Get this to get rid of in grown/razer bumps: Welcome to the Tend Skin Company Web Site
    For $2.50 shipped you can get 2 .25Oz bottles of all of their products. Their body lotion is AMAZING.

Quote Originally Posted by dracodex View Post
    Waxing/sugaring is okay but if you have really tough follicles you may need to have it done professionally, store kits have never been very effective for me as my follicles are rather tough and I am pursing stronger options because bi-weekly pro waxing can get expensive. On ingrown hairs a good moisturizer everyday and some hydrocortisone for few days after the treat will help to keep inflammation and ingrowns to a minimum, I have learned from my current treatment laser removal which is very prone to ingrowns due to inflammation the cortisone has helped a lot in relieving the inflammation caused by hair removal and the ingrowns that the inflammation cause the regular moisturizer also the hair to grow back in a softer skin environment meaning that their is less likely hood it will become trapped below the surface.

I think I'm in the same boat as you, evenafter ripping hair out it grows back in not even two weeks. Though I have considered sugaring as it seems to be fairly popular and in inexpencive with decent results.

For me, it was an easy decision to start waxing. I've been a cyclist for about 8 years now and I got tired of shaving. One day I went and had it done professionally and I was hooked. Now i normally do it once a month and it is easy because my hair is so thin now from doing it for so long. To me it is worth it. As for the ingrown hairs, I've never really had a problem with them and I dont think that should hold you back. Try it, you will like it

When I got waxed I usually had it done professionally, and MAN do I love it! Its my preferred method of staying hair free, and I am lucky that I can go four weeks before its long enough to wax again! Getting it done WELL is a bit pricey, but WELL WORTH THE COST. Whatever you do, don't try to get a Brazilian (pubic area) wax cheaply! This normally ends in disaster. I recommend you find a place in your area that uses blue wax, which is the thickest and recommended for less pain.

I had an ambitious Daddy once who decided we could save money if he waxed me. The first time went pretty well, but each try after that was a disaster. The wax was too hot, or too cool, or stuck to the paper and not to me. It was a comedy of errors. I give serious kudos to people who do it at home themselves

I would recommend waxing. You can try sugaring, but as was mentioned above, it's not as effective if you have tough follicles. I tried sugaring twice and each time I spent an extra hour per leg tweezing the remaining hairs. If you're hurting for cash, you can also try buying an epilator, which is essentially an electric tweezer. It takes a little more time, but it'll save you money in the long haul if it proves effective for you. There's also the option of home waxing kits, that is, if you're confident in your ability to do it yourself. A lot of people recommend leaving it to the professionals, and there's a reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by FateDesigns View Post
    has anyone tried an epulator?
    I tried a cheap Chinese knockoff called an "emulator" once before.