Thread: Does anyone have experience with Backtrack?

Lightbulb Does anyone have experience with Backtrack?

Well, I've decided to take up hacking. The good kind of hacking, not the "OMGWTFBBQ I HAVE 2,000,000 BANK ACCOUNTS OVA NITE!" kind of hacking. So I'm curious if anyone has experience with Backtrack software. Was it easy? Did you get any use out of it?

Backtrack is a really good collection of tools just be very careful with them because there are a lot of network tools that can crash out a Home router pretty quick. Honestly look up on YouTube most of the tools on backtrack have tutorials on how they work you just apply that to what you are doing

Quote Originally Posted by LilMonkeyAlex View Post
    I am a little curious.... what is the 'good kind of hacking'?
    He's speaking of "White Hat Hackers" I'm going to assume (though I bet somewhere in between)

Back Track, for legal purposes of course, requires some level of Linux experience. Learn how to use the system first and basic command line, which is a pretty good skill before running off to the fun material.

Like most Linux communities, especially the security testing one, have pretty much large handbook freely to read on their site that's quite comprehensive. The forum is also helpful.

Use to do what, pray tell? It's not a magical tool, you gotta have some commonsense in what you are doing in that area.

Take the sites advice:

Quote Originally Posted by BackTrack
    I'm new to linux, is BackTrack a good place to start ?

Sorry, the simple answer to that is no.
    BackTrack is a highly specialized distro, where a lot of normal tasks are not done automatically for you as they are in a mainstream distro.
    Our best advice if you wish to start off using linux with BackTrack as your first linux operating system, is don't.
    Start off by downloading a copy of Kubuntu (as it is a similar base operating system to BackTrack) boot into that and force yourself to do everything you are used to doing on a daily basis using that, preferably spending most of your time using the command line tools. When and only when you can perform all of those daily tasks without having to look-up the commands should you move to BackTrack.
    Please don't take this as us saying you shouldn't use BackTrack, take it as friendly advice that you are letting yourself in for a whole world of pain and frustration if you are not fully comfortable performing administration of your own linux machine before you start with Backtrack.

Yeah, I used Backtrack a few times... just to see what it could do. I managed to hack the WEP encryption on my router and connect with a spoofed MAC address to bypass MAC-filtering, but that was about it. I had a look at cracking WPA but couldn't get my head round it!

I like to know how stuff works and what it's possible to do... but once I've done something like that I can cross it off my list of "interesting things to play with". I don't have any need to hack other people's wireless connections, so... it was an afternoon or two of fun tweakery... but then I got bored. There's just too much other stuff to break tweak in the world.

I think I tried to wire up my landline to my hi-fi after that, which didn't go very well... Analogue electronics is something I'll never understand...

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I think I tried to wire up my landline to my hi-fi after that, which didn't go very well... Analogue electronics is something I'll never understand...
    Analog may be tough, but if you're good at it the pay is sure as hell good!

Then again, I'm so entrenched in analog that I leave most of the hacking to guys like you.

Backtrack is a Linux distribution where the preinstalled software and configuration is focused on security auditing and penetration testing. It's very powerful but it's not easy to learn. I'd suggest getting familiar with using Linux in a more user friendly style distribution first.

You're not going to find step-by-step instructions for a lot of the tools in Backtrack, because that's not generally how they work. For the most part they'll present you with a lot of information and you've got to decide how to work with it and what to do next.

My advice would therefore be to decide what you're trying to do in advance and to focus on that. The classic example, and probably best documented, is Wi-Fi security. The best way to start is to read up on how wifi works, so you can understand what the tools are actually doing.

This sort of thing can be a great way to learn how systems and security work. It's the equivalent of a kid taking apart toys to find out what makes them go. The hands on approach can be much more educational than simply reading about something.

Just make sure you don't do anything illegal or immoral!

Default Re: Does anyone have experience with Backtrack?

My suggestion would be to install backtrack in a virtual machine in your host operating system of choice. Created a segregated virtual network for it, and install an unpatched version of xp (I think straight up SP2 has some remote vulnerabilities in it) and/or an old, unpatched version of ubuntu server (9.04 will work - I think). Don't even think about exposing those to the internet - that's what the segregated network is for. Then you can experiment all you want. Plus you learn a bit about networking .

I do have a book suggestion, but I'm traveling and can't look it up right now. I can post it early next week, however.

The one thing to keep in mind if you install it In a virtual machine, however, is that any wireless hacking will require a USB wifi adapter (or at least will be a lot easier). That's a good thing to have anyway, since it leaves your normal wireless card free for normal internet access. Check the compatibility list before getting one, since not all will work for wifi hacking. You also want a couple spare wireless routers so you can set up encryption and experiment on a network that you control entirely, since experimenting on someone else's network isn't a good idea - morally or legally. Those will be cheap on eBay, however.