Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spotting out the bands without creativity: Can you spot them out?

Default Spotting out the bands without creativity: Can you spot them out?

So for this exercise, I ask fellow ADISC users to list bands they personally feel have not attempted to use creativity in the song production process at all. Heres mine.

1. LMFAO
    2. Lil Wayne
    3. Pendalum
    4. DeadMau 5

I'm sure theres a shitload of more but I cant think of them right now.
    Ready....Set.....GO!!!

UPDATE:
    Let me elaborate the whole definition of uncreative music. When someone does not sit down at a piano or pick up a guitar in order to create a song, its not true music. When a musician relies on a computer to compose these melodies, or abuse technology just to fit in with the norm, they naturally lack the creativity. Its ok to have virtual instruments, just as LONG as the software is used in a creative manner and not relied on the compose its own tracks.

Honestly, I think this will lead to a flame war.

There can be as much creativity in written word as there can be by strumming a guitar or playing a melody on a piano. Sure, some of the ones you listed are probably more interested in the money and fame, but I'm certain they have creativity just the same as anybody else.

Basically, just because a genre/musician isn't what you're into, doesn't mean it lacks creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbeast View Post
    Honestly, I think this will lead to a flame war.

There can be as much creativity in written word as there can be by strumming a guitar or playing a melody on a piano. Sure, some of the ones you listed are probably more interested in the money and fame, but I'm certain they have creativity just the same as anybody else.

Basically, just because a genre/musician isn't what you're into, doesn't mean it lacks creativity.
    Not if this thread is taken with maturity. I created this thread as a way for more to point out what they believe modern-day musicians lack in creativity.

Default Re: Spotting out the bands without creativity: Can you spot them out?

I've only heard of 1 person you've listed. I don't like rap in particular. Lil Wayne has been around for a good while. He has to bring something new to the table each time he makes an album. In rap, people have come and gone. While it might not be to our tastes, there's something keeping an audience.

Most music on the radio I don't care for. I'm sure glad that I have Sirius XM. There's stations that are totally awesome. There's 20 different rock stations including heavy metal. There's an NFL station and every major sports game is broadcasted and a good fair bit of collegiate games as well. I don't know what I'd do without it.

What bands do you like?
    I like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Kansas, Amon Amarth, Protest The Hero, Type O Negative, Iron Maiden, Sublime, Metallica, Opeth, and more.

I despise country, talk about lack of creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    Let me elaborate the whole definition of uncreative music. When someone does not sit down at a piano or pick up a guitar in order to create a song, its not true music. When a musician relies on a computer to compose these melodies, or abuse technology just to fit in with the norm, they naturally lack the creativity. Its ok to have virtual instruments, just as LONG as the software is used in a creative manner and not relied on the compose its own tracks.
    Absurd rockist nonsense!

so you're basically saying: fuck off Louis Armstrong, fuck off Charlie Parker you didn't use a piano or a guitar? Fuck off brass and woodwind and symphony orchestras? Fuck off drums, the oldest musical instruments of all?

No. Music is an arrangement of sounds you want to listen to, and hopefully other people want to listen to as well. In order to expand the range of sounds available we make tools/machines we call "musical instruments." Creating a new piece of music that is satisfying to listen to is hard work and requires creativity, no mater what instruments you use - drums, guitar, organ, trumpet, clarinet, samplers, synthesisers ect.

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post

I despise country, talk about lack of creativity.
    I'm not one to stick up for country music (I honestly hate it too) , but to generalize and say that it lacks creativity isn't really accurate IMO.

Country has been regarded as one of the saddest genre's in music today; when people consider suicide because of listening to music, country is possibly the top contributing music genre to these deaths. There is a lot of emotion lurking in country music, it isn't all about pickup trucks, blond cowgirls and drinking beer.

-Ron

My question here is why does it matter? Why do you care so much that there are bands out there that you don't find super creative or interesting?

Everyone has a specific taste and if it makes them happy isn't that good enough? Music is such a varied thing no one person can say if it's good or bad, creative or not creative and dictate what people should listen too.

As long as it makes people happy isn't that good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by ElliottABDL View Post
    My question here is why does it matter? Why do you care so much that there are bands out there that you don't find super creative or interesting?
    Cause he's the sort of person who would go to a rally to burn Disco records.

Quote Originally Posted by ElliottABDL View Post

Everyone has a specific taste and if it makes them happy isn't that good enough? Music is such a varied thing no one person can say if it's good or bad, creative or not creative and dictate what people should listen too.

As long as it makes people happy isn't that good enough?
    This is exactly it! But, just to add to it, I have a genuine love of music. I love many different types of music and some would say that my collection of records/cd's/mp3's is very weird, but that's not to say there isn't music I can't stand. There are some genre's I hate with a passion, I can't stand anything with too much synth, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around autotune, but to say I don't respect all of these genres is just false.

I don't like everything, but I do respect everything. Afterall, music isn't set in stone, it's an evolution. The music style that you don't like right now could very well change into a style you come to love in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    So this is not music? You don't like this?

Or this.