Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Video Game CRASH of 2013

Default The Video Game CRASH of 2013

The title may sound alarmist but hear me out.

Looking at the recent decline of gaming as a whole, mostly as a business but also as an art form. Late in this past decade and early in the current one we have seen nothing but an increase an anti consumer business practices. Ironically it is exactly 30 years after the crash of 83. Coincidence? I think not. In fact, let's talk about the crash of 83 for a moment.

What caused the crash? There were several contributing factors but let's look at the most notable.

1. Too many competing consoles flooding the market. The early 80s saw dozens of dieerent consoles competing against each other. The Colecovision, the Vectrex, the Intellivision, the Atari 2600, and many others.

2. A plethora of bad games. Developers and publishers took a quantity over quality approach and ended up putting out a bunch of bad games to try and milk consumers for as much as they can.

3. Competition from PCs. games for PCs are becoming infinitely better than what was offered on consoles at the time, without bringing up the "PC Master Race" debate.

4. Lack of quality control. In the days of the crash, ANYONE could make games fro any system. even bad ones, and many bad ones did get made.

5. High-profile failures. E.T. and Pacman on the Atari 2600, nuff said.

Now Let's look at today's events in gaming and see how they parallel to the events leading up to the crash of 83.

1. Too many competing platforms: Check! Including handhelds and mobile devices this brings us to several competing platforms for gaming including: Wii, Wii U, PS3/PS4, Xbox 360/720, 3DS, PS Vita, Iphone, Ipad, Android, etc.

2. plethora of of bad games/flooding of the market: Check! making fairly short games with little replay value and unlockables and cheat codes replaced with paid DLC (disclaimer: NOT ALL DLC is bad, Bethesda does DLC right with the exception of Horse Armor.) and of course a flooding of the market with certain genres. Case in point: Sports and First Person Shooters (FPS) with EA and Activision leading the charge of barely updated sequels in annual franchises I.E. CoD and just about any EA sports series (Madden, etc.)

3. Competition from PCs: Check! I play both consoles and PC so I'm far from a PC fangirl but it seems that many PC games outperform console games, although more and more PC games are also on consoles, most of the time the PC version is superior, but not always/ PC still can p[ut out better graphics (As if that really mattered) and there is generally more freedom on the PC and more respect for consumers with the convenience that is Steam. Whatever your opinion, it can't be denied that consoles are trying to fiercely compete with PCs. This and #4 contribute to the used game market

4. Lack of quality control: Check! Publishers lording over developers with an iron fist and enforcing strict deadlines so developer have to rush out unfinished, incomplete games with lots of bugs and waiting for the gamers to do their job for them and to have the developer/publisher patch it later after said bugs have been brought to their attention by gamers. *cough*Skyrim*cough*

5. High-Profile failures: Check! I could name quite a few of these off the top of my head. In fact, I think I will. Sony getting arrogant after 2 generations of home console dominance with the PS1 and the almighty PS2 and developing a bad case of Sega Syndrome and thinking people would buy the PS3 at a lanch price of 599 Us dollars, 599 US dollars, 599 Us dollars, ok enough of that. Anyway, you get the picture, Sony took a huge gamble and made bone headed after bone headed decision until they got into some really bad financial trouble. The whole EA Simcity Debacle, the backlash over Mass Effect 3's ending, the Diablo 3 always online DRM.

For the hell of it I'll add more signs I think another crash is coming.

6. The war on used games. the PS4 is hinted to contain used game blocking tech but Sony has stated they themselves would not use it but would allow publishers who want to use it have the option, and you KNOW they WILL. and there's still the FUD surrounding the Xbox 720 and Microsoft has not done any damage control. they have not come out and confirmed or denied the rumors ever since they first started. and Microsoft's own creative directed hash tagged "Deal with it" to those concerned about the Xbox 720 rumor surrounding on always onlien requirement.

7. Anti-consumer business practices and the inevitable backlash. See above, but it seems that after Nintendo saved the industry in 85 with NES all the way to the end of the 6th gen game developers were more like craftsmen, taking the time to develop wonderful art for the world to enjoy, and now games have become more like an assembly line, pumping out product after mass produced product and that attitude towards consumers that sees them as numbers more than human beings.

So the final question here is: Is another crash needed? Why or why not?

Over the years these companies got big and lost sight of what's important, caring more about shareholders than customers, I believe a second crash could be just the thing to push these companies who have lost their way back into the right direction. Nintendo seems to eb the only sane company on the console end essentially being a player trying to conduct honest business in a dishonest playing field. although they are not fully incorruptable, I.E. 3DS and WII U region locking. and Valve seems to be respectful to consumers on the PC front with Steam.

I speculate that a company or 2 will help revive the industry after the crash has happened. Nintendo could be the savior once again, or Valve could play the hero with the rumored Steam Box, or both. Or even Sega might make a return to the console market with the Dreamcast 2, although that outcome is highly unlikely but we can only hope.

So what are your thoughts?

Do you think a second crash is coming? Why or why not?

Do you think a crash is needed? Why or why not?

For more information on the issue see: What's Going to Happen if the Xbox 720 Blocks Used Games? - The Answer - YouTube

For more information on Sega Syndrome see: Why the Sega Saturn failed, and how it could have been saved - YouTube

I believe the big-business-dominated 'industry' will fizzle, not so much crash, and will gradually be replaced by a plethora of independent offerings that will duke it out less for 'big business' reasons, and more for 'small business' reasons like simply staying alive and making great products that people want to use. The crowdfunded Ouya project is a sign of things to come, as are the various similar products that I just learned are on their way. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft have more money than they're able to spend, and they're not about to lose that anytime soon, but since they're not likely to adopt new practices, they'll become irrelevant after a while and quietly bow out of this different industry - or perhaps if they're smart, the two old powerhouses Nintendo and Microsoft will stop trying to be the platform people use, and instead build the games that people want to play on other platforms.

The PC will march on of course, and I'll still be able to play the original Master of Orion on whatever twelve core monstrosity I'm using in a few years - I'm hoping it will be running the dominant operating system Mint though, and I'll also be playing Arma4, Mount and Blade 3 and if I'm really lucky, that new Chris Roberts space game on that same OS - and I'll have bought lots of top tier Linux exclusives on Steam, Gamestop and maybe even Origin if EA cleans up their act.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLilyLuna View Post
    3. Competition from PCs. games for PCs are becoming infinitely better than what was offered on consoles at the time, without bringing up the "PC Master Race" debate.
    Thinking its a debate, cute.

Anyways here's a relevant video.

I don't think we are headed towards a crash. No, I believe the entire video games industry is too developed to fully "crash". There was something specific about that time that allowed it too, the games weren't as immersive and weren't as beloved by so many gamers. You weren't able get on an internet forum and talk about why a game made you cry, or talk to other big fans and feed your love of a specific series like you can now. I think that's why you'll notice most gamers won't point to Atari 2600 games as their favorite games, even if they do collect and love the system. I think that's just because the game industry was still just beginning. It was early enough for it to fail for a little while, the technology was new, not quite there. Every year we are making more gamers, not less. Back then there wasn't enough people to sustain all those consoles, but now there is. Back then there wasn't niche indie developers making games for a niche audience because there was no way for those people to come together. Now time will tell what consoles will rise, but as long as their is enough money to fund it all I don't think we are going anywhere. Once there is, some will die.. but some will live.

To be honest, I do disagree with the idea there isn't a bunch of quality games coming out. Almost all the games that come out are "quality" games, the biggest complaint I often hear is that they just don't like them. Just because many people don't like Call of Duty doesn't make it not a quality game. Just because you might not like what Resident Evil 6 turned the Resident Evil franchise, doesn't make it not a quality game... it just makes it a different kind of game that you don't like. Which is absolutely fine.. to me though, this year has been an amazing year for gaming, as the last year was too. I've really been able to add some favorites to my collection this year, one's I'll continue to be playing for many years.

It think with as many passionate gamers as there is, continuing to buy games because they just love games.. that we are pretty much not going to be able to run into a crash. I don't think it's impossible that one of the big names will go under, that we might lose a console in our three way big console war. I'm not saying that Steam doesn't have a chance at kicking all their butts. However I think at this point, until something comes and makes video games obsolete that there will always be a video game market. It just might be different then it is today. Just like how CD's becoming less and less important didn't kill the music industry, it just forced it to change. So in my opinion just emulating the base things that happened during the last crash isn't enough because the time, the current technology, and the hardcore gamers at the time cannot be emulated.. and they played a very important role in the crash.

Video games are in a period of trying to find out what it will be in this internet information age. Just speak out and spread your opinion, speak with your money.. and don't give up your morals. If you do, you'll have done everything you can to make sure it changes it something great. I know some people want a crash just because they hope it will teach the big guys a lesson, but wanting something else to do the hard work for you is lazy. Get it done, I know you can do it!
    Last edited by gigglemuffinz; 07-Apr-2013 at 07:51.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLilyLuna View Post
    But the PC is the master race, friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Thinking its a debate, cute.
    I don't think I've seen you ever make a comment in the Gaming Section that wasn't just unimaginatively PC Elitist.

I have a good PC for gaming, a PlayStation 3 and an Xbox 360. I know PC's are fundamentally better but it doesn't make me go around and tell off anyone who likes consoles and say their opinion is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Okamiyasha View Post
    I don't think I've seen you ever make a comment in the Gaming Section that wasn't just unimaginatively PC Elitist.

I have a good PC for gaming, a PlayStation 3 and an Xbox 360. I know PC's are fundamentally better but it doesn't make me go around and tell off anyone who likes consoles and say their opinion is stupid.
    Consoles are good, but PC's are better. That's not an opinion either. That's pretty much fact. The only thing that consoles have going for them are exclusives, and (unfortunately) the larger community (even though the community on PS3 is hardly existent, and the community on 360 is young enough to be my grandchild).

However, exclusives makes owning a console worth it, hence my PeaEss Triple.

I dont think its a matter of whether the industry will crash, but more of a question of when, and who will jump ship first. I Personally have my money on Sony. All of my friends who purchased a Vita said it was a waste of money. And now Sony and Microsoft are supposedly trying to stamp out the used game market..... By making everything into downloads. Used game stores and Gamestop are going to take a huge hit if both companies end up making their games download only......

games crash... who knows. I guess we'll either see it happen or not

I just think that what keeps the industry alive is _really_ new features. Like, in the 80s Nintendo was the first to give their games real storylines and therein give the user some extended sense of purpose in playing them (i.e. Super Mario, Zelda). The next big thing was more and more colors until consoles reached true color graphics. Then came 3D vector graphics. Then things stagnated a bit because it was too early for online gaming to really catch on because too few people had internet access or phone flat rates (cheap dialup). I didn't really want a new console after the SNES. Basically until the Wii came out, featuring motion sensing and all the great new gameplay that came with that technology. Sony and Microsoft took several years to develop similar stuff that could compete (kinect, move). Currently the latest most fascinating thing for me is the autostereoscopic 3D screen used in the 3DS and the gameplay enhancements that came with that. Nobody else has yet caught up with that (the new PS Vita still has an oldfashioned 2D screen). So now the big three are in the process of launching new consoles... The Xbox 720... What does that do? Same thing as the 360, just faster I think. The PS4... What will it be capable of? 4k graphics? WTF? So you'll need to buy a new really expensive TV/computer screen that supports the res? The Wii U... OK, it's got this gamepad with a touch screen. That's kinda nice, but it's not the big breakthrough Nintendo makes it out to be. Personally I don't think either of the 3 really cut it. Which is probably why the market isn't taking off as intensely as the manufacturers would hope for. I may buy some of these when they turn vintage and cost next to nothing. But I'm not planning on having either a PS4, a 720 or a Wii U at this time because they just don't fascinate me at all. Well OK, the Wii U's gamepad does a bit, but not enough to spend several hundred euros on the system.
    I'll probably be waiting for the next big bang (feature-wise). Full immersion VR would be nice
    Until then I've still got a few vintage consoles to collect and spend my money on.

p.s. oh yeah, and I do prefer "hardware" game purchases like discs or cartridges to downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    Consoles are good, but PC's are better. That's not an opinion either. That's pretty much fact. The only thing that consoles have going for them are exclusives, and (unfortunately) the larger community (even though the community on PS3 is hardly existent, and the community on 360 is young enough to be my grandchild).

However, exclusives makes owning a console worth it, hence my PeaEss Triple.
    It amuses me that you state your opinion and then say it's not an opinion, as if you have some voucher which means you don't have to justify yourself. PCs are certainly better as a general purpose computer, but consoles are clearly popular, and seem to have a large community following, and of course not everyone wants to have a PC which is games-capable.

I should add I've only ever owned a PC for gaming. The only downside seems to be that occasionally the quality of the software port to PC is a bit flaky, and being unable to play multiplayer with friends with consoles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bongolino View Post
    p.s. oh yeah, and I do prefer "hardware" game purchases like discs or cartridges to downloads.
    But the moment you have to tie your disk / installation to a single account, you've not got anything better than if you'd downloaded the game.