Thread: Help me with my debate?

Default Help me with my debate?

I'm doing all the research and all the work but I would like some second opinions on the matter for my debate final. Please and thanks!
    The issue is: Should students be required to take an exit exam in order to graduate?

Quote Originally Posted by Abdlforever View Post
    I'm doing all the research and all the work but I would like some second opinions on the matter for my debate final. Please and thanks!
    The issue is: Should students be required to take an exit exam in order to graduate?
    No. Exams hurt grades, and learning as a whole. Not worth it. In fact, I view homework in general as a rather useless thing, but more on that later.

Thing off the top of my head at the moment.....look up high stakes testing. Should give you a little bit of something.

I agree students should have to take exams prior to graduating. It will show whether they have really paid attention or not.

I'm confused by how exactly you can have an exit exam for graduation. A school can have programs so different that two students may have only both sat for one or two classes in common. How would you ever make one exit examination that fairly tests both a student earning a BS in computational physics and a student earning a BFA in theater?

I'll err on the side of caution with this topic; assessment is a vital part of getting qualifications and you should explore the merits of the various forms of assessing knowledge before you can criticize them.

Exams provide an easy way to assess large numbers of people with reduced effort, there is the downside of it being possible to prepare for a test in a way to pass with no actual knowledge.
    Coursework can provide some assessment but it's not necessarily an indicator of an individual's knowledge, or can allow an individual to show aptitude in one area while not exploring the whole subject in any real depth.
    Verbal tests work well for some but can shatter the confidence of others, but in my opinion this is the best way to test knowledge, the examiner will have knowledge of the subject and can explore the limits of the knowledge held by the student through personalized questions.

Eventually assessment by traditional means becomes impossible when you're at the top of a field the only way to assess yourself or others is to do peer review of papers and research, something which is probably beyond the scope of most high-schoolers and undergraduates, so this wouldn't provide any sort of bench mark for assessing ability

There are more and it's worth looking into those too, I've just given you an outline of the most common ^_^