View Poll Results: What do you think of autotuning?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is used conservatively

0 0%
  • It is being abused

8 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of autotuning?

Default What do you think of autotuning?

For those who do not know, autotuning is a digital processor that harmonically corrects the voice to perfect pitch. So what do you think of autotuning in todays music? Do you think its abused or used conservatively? I personally think too many artists use it and that it is tainting the art of singing.

About 97% of the time I think

But I wouldn't say that it's always bad.

I think it can be used tastefully in some cases, but it's very rare for it to be used like that. Also, just figured I'd drop in to say that apparently Peavey guitars is unveiling a guitar that uses autotune technology to correct the pitch of notes being played. Yeah... I won't use one of those in my lifetime, but I'd try it just for the gimmicky nature.

-Ron

It's being abused but that doesn't mean it can't be used well.

Singing needs emotion it in, No matter what you do, Technology cannot in anyway add or fake a real emotion in a singers voice.

The female singer from Cranberries. Sounds diffrent, And maybe old, Because it aint tainted

This is just my opinion. I think its great that people who cannot sing and are not famous for being a good singer are ok to use it. Basicly saying its ok for a footballer to use Auto Aim

I don't know why Peavey is releasing a guitar like that. True guitarists dont need a guitar that does things for them like that.

And yes it can be used well, as long as its used in moderation. That would be like eating Hot Tamales everyday for every meal in the way autotuning is used today.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why Peavey is releasing a guitar like that. True guitarists dont need a guitar that does things for them like that.

And yes it can be used well, as long as its used in moderation. That would be like eating Hot Tamales everyday for every meal in the way autotuning is used today.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post

Hahaha this made me giggle

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post

Hahaha this made me giggle

I wouldn't use an auto tuned guitar as I would want total control as to what I was playing, especially when it came to bending notes. As for singing, I think it's cheating, but when it comes to recordings, I'd rather hear a performance that was enhanced and corrected than a flat note.

Because I'm a bass, singing flat always bothers me, and I listen closely to the monitors to make sure I'm not singing flat. I try to keep my mouth open as much as possible, and keep my vowels bright.

We should all go back and listen to those old Doo Wap recordings of groups like the Coasters and the Platters, etc. They had terrible recording equipment, yet they sounded so good. Those guys could really sing.

- - - Updated - - -

Does it result in music that's fun to listen to? If yes, I don't have a problem. If no, then I still don't have a problem, but I don't spend money on the artist and trust the free market to even things out.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I wouldn't use an auto tuned guitar as I would want total control as to what I was playing, especially when it came to bending notes. As for singing, I think it's cheating, but when it comes to recordings, I'd rather hear a performance that was enhanced and corrected than a flat note.

Because I'm a bass, singing flat always bothers me, and I listen closely to the monitors to make sure I'm not singing flat. I try to keep my mouth open as much as possible, and keep my vowels bright.

We should all go back and listen to those old Doo Wap recordings of groups like the Coasters and the Platters, etc. They had terrible recording equipment, yet they sounded so good. Those guys could really sing.

- - - Updated - - -
    Its like driving a Bugatti in automatic, you dont get the same genuine experience of driving a supercar. Same for a guitar thats autotuned. I guess its for profit reasons. Imagine what Angus Young would think if he heard of such a thing.

For the record I dont suspend autotuning altogether, I condone it as long as its used conservatively. Pinks "Its all your fault" would be a good example of autotuning being used conservatively.