View Poll Results: Should people's income be taxed?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we should pay income taxes

    21 61.76%
  • Yes, however they should be minimal, only to ensure state security and public safety

    10 29.41%
  • Unsure

    1 2.94%
  • No, I have worked hard for the money I have acquired, the state has no right to tax me.

    2 5.88%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Do you believe that income tax is just?

  1. #1

    Default Do you believe that income tax is just?

    Ok, so I suspect this thread might be slightly controversial, as there are a myriad of opinions on taxation, certainly so about having one's income taxed. There are arguments for it, we live in a society, we should therefore feel obligated to contribute to it. Or, having chosen to live in a democratic state which imposes taxes, we have consented to give a portion of our income in taxation. Conversely there are arguments against it; why should money that a person has worked hard to earn be arbitrarily expropriated? Or, why should I have to pay for another person's ills? Whilst their position might be unfortunate, that isn't my responsibility. To put it briefly, I want to know what the community's views are on it; do you support or oppose it, or do you have no opinion. Regardless, I look forward to hearing people's views.

    SA

  2. #2

    Default

    I don't like paying taxes but they pay for roads to drive on and holidays for politicians.

  3. #3

    Default

    When I get a job (after not having one for 1172 and counting) it would almost be a expectation NOT to be income taxed.

  4. #4

    Default Arbitrarily speaking...not



    Quote Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
    ..."arbitrarily expropriated..."
    SA
    Arbitrarily...egh?
    No-vote, in poll.

    While there is certainly misappropriation in all institutions of governmental, commercial, private, and religious...I do not see that taxation, or subsequent expropriation of tax monies, is anywhere near an arbitrary matter.

    ar·bi·trar·y (ärb-trr)
    adj.
    1. Determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and not by necessity, reason, or principle: stopped at the first motel we passed, an arbitrary choice.
    2. Based on or subject to individual judgment or preference: The diet imposes overall calorie limits, but daily menus are arbitrary.
    3. Established by a court or judge rather than by a specific law or statute: an arbitrary penalty.
    4. Not limited by law; despotic: the arbitrary rule of a dictator.
    [Middle English arbitrarie, from Latin arbitrrius, from arbiter, arbitr-, arbiter; see arbiter.]
    arbi·trari·ly (-trâr-l) adv.
    arbi·trari·ness n.
    Synonyms: arbitrary, capricious, whimsical
    These adjectives mean determined by or arising from whim or caprice rather than judgment or reason: an arbitrary decision; a capricious refusal; a whimsical remark.

    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    Thesaurus Legend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
    Adv. 1. arbitrarily - in a random mannerarbitrarily - in a random manner; "the houses were randomly scattered"; "bullets were fired into the crowd at random"
    at random, every which way, haphazardly, indiscriminately, randomly, willy-nilly

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    Arbitrarily...egh?
    No-vote, in poll.

    While there is certainly misappropriation in all institutions of governmental, commercial, private, and religious...I do not see that taxation, or subsequent expropriation of tax monies, is anywhere near an arbitrary matter.



    ar·bi·trar·y (ärb-trr)
    adj.
    1. Determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and not by necessity, reason, or principle: stopped at the first motel we passed, an arbitrary choice.
    2. Based on or subject to individual judgment or preference: The diet imposes overall calorie limits, but daily menus are arbitrary.
    3. Established by a court or judge rather than by a specific law or statute: an arbitrary penalty.
    4. Not limited by law; despotic: the arbitrary rule of a dictator.
    [Middle English arbitrarie, from Latin arbitrrius, from arbiter, arbitr-, arbiter; see arbiter.]
    arbi·trari·ly (-trâr-l) adv.
    arbi·trari·ness n.
    Synonyms: arbitrary, capricious, whimsical
    These adjectives mean determined by or arising from whim or caprice rather than judgment or reason: an arbitrary decision; a capricious refusal; a whimsical remark.

    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    Thesaurus Legend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
    Adv. 1. arbitrarily - in a random mannerarbitrarily - in a random manner; "the houses were randomly scattered"; "bullets were fired into the crowd at random"
    at random, every which way, haphazardly, indiscriminately, randomly, willy-nilly
    Please understand that this is not necessarily my view, I'm simply offering arguments for and against; consequently, some people view taxation as arbitrary

  6. #6

    Default

    i leave in quebec, Canada and our taxe it like 15%..... were overtaxed not fair with other pronvinces in canada

  7. #7

    Default

    I need to also ask when our taxes in a whole are being used for obnoxious things such as Obamas and Bidens vacations, Robotic Squirrel research and other things. Must we really feed that out-of-control spending with our hard earned dollars or should we really go against it and make a change? Just asking.

  8. #8

    Default

    I don't really see how you can argue against it. Should we tax everyone regardless of income, so the rich couldn't care less while the poor are made to slave away, only to have all their earnings taken from them? Or tax corporations and damage the economy? Or not tax anyone and close all hospitals, schools, roads, dustbin collections, doctors surgeries, dentists, and expect politicians to work for free?

    I mean... is there a fair and workable alternative...? I can't see one...

    - - - Updated - - -

    I don't really see how you can argue against it. Should we tax everyone regardless of income, so the rich couldn't care less while the poor are made to slave away, only to have all their earnings taken from them? Or tax corporations and damage the economy? Or not tax anyone and close all hospitals, schools, roads, dustbin collections, doctors surgeries, dentists, and expect politicians to work for free?

    I mean... is there a fair and workable alternative...? I can't see one...

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
    Please understand that this is not necessarily my view, I'm simply offering arguments for and against; consequently, some people view taxation as arbitrary
    ...just so we're clear...you wrote "arbitrarily expropriated"...I'm not an expert at posing an even-handed question...but, you tend to be leaning with greater weight towards the opposition of taxes, and/or the degree of current taxation, and/or the opinion of an arbitrary tax allocation. and/or others ills are bad-luck, but not your problem.

    I think I'm seeing it now...Does the formatting below, help??



    Quote Originally Posted by SterlingArcher-EDITED-by Marka View Post
    Ok, so I suspect this thread might be slightly controversial, as there are a myriad of opinions on taxation, certainly so about having one's income taxed.

    There are arguments for it (such as):
    we live in a society, we should therefore feel obligated to contribute to it. Or, having chosen to live in a democratic state which imposes taxes, we have consented to give a portion of our income in taxation.

    Conversely there are arguments against it (such as):
    why should money that a person has worked hard to earn be arbitrarily expropriated? Or, why should I have to pay for another person's ills? Whilst their position might be unfortunate, that isn't my responsibility.

    To put it briefly, I want to know what the community's views are on it; do you support or oppose it, or do you have no opinion. Regardless, I look forward to hearing people's views.

    SA
    So with formatting, I see it more clearly...my apologies for missing the first go at it...

    I'm both for and against taxation...mostly though, I don't see how there can be any choice of taxes -vs- no-taxes...one thing put simply, and is but a fraction of the necessary infrastructure...as you have for your signature line, a quote Originally posted by AEsahaettr...

    Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    Actually, given the presence of public roads, I would contend that 100% of Americans are dependent on government assistance.
    ...and that comes from the most part, via taxes...what would you have us do?

    -Marka

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    ...just so we're clear...you wrote "arbitrarily expropriated"...I'm not an expert at posing an even-handed question...but, you tend to be leaning with greater weight towards the opposition of taxes, and/or the degree of current taxation, and/or the opinion of an arbitrary tax allocation. and/or others ills are bad-luck, but not your problem.

    I think I'm seeing it now...Does the formatting below, help??



    So with formatting, I see it more clearly...my apologies for missing the first go at it...

    I'm both for and against taxation...mostly though, I don't see how there can be any choice of taxes -vs- no-taxes...one thing put simply, and is but a fraction of the necessary infrastructure...as you have for your signature line, a quote Originally posted by AEsahaettr......and that comes from the most part, via taxes...what would you have us do?

    -Marka
    I'm in favour of taxes, for one, they are essential for infrastructure as AEsahaettr points out. Two, I do not believe that people who cannot afford basic things like medication, education, and housing should be left behind, which fits into my view that we humans are not isolated creatures, and thus, we need some sort of social contract if we are to get along with each other in our society, and if that contract necessitates taxation, so be it. Furthermore, I would use the arguments outlined in the intro, that by living in a nation state, we have in a way consented to being taxed. (An argument I admit, I'm borrowing from Michael Sandel)

Similar Threads

  1. Corporate income taxes should be abolished.
    By WBDaddy in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-Aug-2012, 21:46
  2. Delayed Income Tax Refund Checks
    By Pramrider in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 26-Feb-2009, 08:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.