Thread: To whom it may concern...

Default To whom it may concern...

Yesterday on April Fools, I posted a joke thread that many deemed offensive. I am, and was aware that it was rather distasteful. I didn't mean to offend anyone, though I knew I would. I know it's really not a topic for humor, but I thought at least some of you would find it humorous. Well, my plan didn't work.

So I would like to apologize to anyone who was upset with that thread. It was not my intention to offend. I hope none of you took it personally.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, the thread was a joke about rape.

I saw it, I didn't think it was funny, but it didn't ruin my day or anything. Humor is tricky business. You took a shot and clearly no malice was intended. Better luck next time.

Quote Originally Posted by FanFan View Post
    Yesterday on April Fools, I posted a joke thread that many deemed offensive. I am, and was aware that it was rather distasteful. I didn't mean to offend anyone, though I knew I would. I know it's really not a topic for humor, but I thought at least some of you would find it humorous. Well, my plan didn't work.

So I would like to apologize to anyone who was upset with that thread. It was not my intention to offend. I hope none of you took it personally.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, the thread was a joke about rape.
    Ouch, yeah thats kinda of a sensitive issue.

But dont feel bad, I'm sure some people threw tomatoes at Adam Sandler when he first started out with humor.

The important thing is that you learned from it. That's what ADISC is here for, to provide us with a mature community that guides us through the difficult aspects in life.

At least you learnt from it, just remember to watch what you post. What you might consider hilarious could be considered very offensive to somebody else, you get what I'm saying?

I believe that it doesn't matter what you say these days...someone is bound to be offended by it. Thus, if we don't want to offend anyone, we should never speak (or in this case, type). The world would quickly become a very quiet (and very boring) place if everyone did this!

Reminds me of a week or so ago I was out, and I was in a room filled with people...one fellow (a young black male) was telling jokes which made most people laugh (or roll their eyes 'cause some were really old). One woman (also black, but probably 20 years older than the young man) took great offense and called him out in front of everyone. I was more offended by her reaction than I was by the initial jokes. Of course, I forgot 98% of the jokes the moment I walked out the door, but I did not forget her reaction, which included telling the young man he wasn't black...she said he was "yellow" (which was funny to me since he and she both share a very similar "café au lait" skin tone).

I only remember 2 of his jokes: Old as the hills joke: "I'm not racist, I even own a colour tv." and one I'd never heard before "Why are blacks so tall.... because their knee-grows"

Anywho...you can't please all of the people all of the time...to even try, often seems pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by ayanna View Post
    I believe that it doesn't matter what you say these days...someone is bound to be offended by it. Thus, if we don't want to offend anyone, we should never speak (or in this case, type). The world would quickly become a very quiet (and very boring) place if everyone did this!

Reminds me of a week or so ago I was out, and I was in a room filled with people...one fellow (a young black male) was telling jokes which made most people laugh (or roll their eyes 'cause some were really old). One woman (also black, but probably 20 years older than the young man) took great offense and called him out in front of everyone. I was more offended by her reaction than I was by the initial jokes. Of course, I forgot 98% of the jokes the moment I walked out the door, but I did not forget her reaction, which included telling the young man he wasn't black...she said he was "yellow" (which was funny to me since he and she both share a very similar "café au lait" skin tone).

I only remember 2 of his jokes: Old as the hills joke: "I'm not racist, I even own a colour tv." and one I'd never heard before "Why are blacks so tall.... because their knee-grows"

Anywho...you can't please all of the people all of the time...to even try, often seems pointless.
    Essentially this. This is a perfect example of what we're essentially saying through this threat. That certain jokes can only apply to certain people, often more than not, this community can be split with them.