Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: About a "safety precaution"

Default About a "safety precaution"

(I'm sorry if this topic does not fit in this page)

First of all, I want to apologize if this topic has even been posted, because I want to know about these things (mostly because of curiousity) and sorry about my grammar.

Second, please don't mock me. I'm still a teenager and I am a theist.

So when I was in middle school there was a sex education. They did mentioned about things like "you must not have pre-marital sex" (I'm a Christian, have been studying in Christian school. And this made me curious: they said condoms have large enough holes for HIV or herpes viruses to get throught during a sexual intercourse.

I did some search on google. One said that in a research there were still some cases of people got STDs even they did wear condoms during intercourse. If HIV virus can't get pass through, they said another viruses can 'accompany' them to get pass through (okay I'm not sure about this).
    The other said that it was only Christians and Catholics trick to prevent pre-marital sex, and condoms are obviously safe if you wear if properly because they dipped them into latex twice (and another processes I can't remember), while the gloves we always wore for laboratorium activities only dipped once.

So.. are they 100% safe?

I'm exhausted and not an expert on this by any means, but I'll post my 2 cents.

Condoms are not 100% safe, so calling them "safe sex" is a little inaccurate. A better term would be "safer sex." In and of themselves, they don't let anything through that I'm aware of, which is why you should use them and why gloves of the same material are used in laboratory environments. With that said, there is the risk that they can break - unlikely, but possible. They also physically can't prevent all STDs. Anything that causes skin lesions can be passed on regardless of how you choose to stay safer because the condom only covers one part of you. You still have skin-on-skin contact. With that said, for things like HIV if you're using protection it's highly unlikely you'll pick it up unless you're mixing blood or other fluids internally.

Now with that said, if you use non-latex condoms then that fact can hold true. Lambskin for example things can pass through if I remember correctly. In short, use condoms made of a material known to be effective.

EDIT:
    I want to add this because I feel like it need to be said, regardless of your stance on premarital sex, getting married is not a good reason to go unprotected. Get yourselves both tested, make sure you both have the same stance on your relationship (there is nothing wrong with having an open relationship even while married, I've seen people do it and it works well for them), and then decide what you're doing. My partner and I are monogamous and we've been together for a while and we still choose to use protection.
    Last edited by nsquared; 02-Apr-2013 at 17:20. Reason: add details

Nothing is 100% safe in the end. Sadly there's always a really small chance, that something might happen, even if it's 0,01%.

Anyway, i'm sorry, i don't know the answer. I always thought they're "100%" safe and i never heard about this. You sure that this are not some pipe dreams from some people?
    The source would be nice eitherway, i'm kinda curious about this now too.

Quote Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
    I want to add this because I feel like it need to be said, regardless of your stance on premarital sex, getting married is not a good reason to go unprotected. Get yourselves both tested, make sure you both have the same stance on your relationship (there is nothing wrong with having an open relationship even while married, I've seen people do it and it works well for them), and then decide what you're doing. My partner and I are monogamous and we've been together for a while and we still choose to use protection.
    Well, I'm a virgin, and I guess I won't do 'that' until a mean time because of some factors (one of them is because it's taboo in my country). These whole things are just about my curiousity. and a little bit out of topic.. so at your place, people who have many sex partners even if they're married, are acceptable?

And.. From what I read, I know it can be transmitted during intercourse by genital skin contact or oral as well. It's just that.. is it true that it REALLY does prevent the viruses from escaping?

ahh, for the sources:
    http://http://www.straightdope.com/c...-latex-condoms

http://http://skeptics.stackexchange...o-pass-through

http://http://nz.answers.yahoo.com/q...3045117AAxjcWG

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    Well, I'm a virgin, and I guess I won't do 'that' until a mean time because of some factors (one of them is because it's taboo in my country). These whole things are just about my curiousity. and a little bit out of topic.. so at your place, people who have many sex partners even if they're married, are acceptable?

And.. From what I read, I know it can be transmitted during intercourse by genital skin contact or oral as well. It's just that.. is it true that it REALLY does prevent the viruses from escaping?

ahh, for the sources:
    http://http://www.straightdope.com/c...-latex-condoms

http://http://skeptics.stackexchange...o-pass-through

http://http://nz.answers.yahoo.com/q...3045117AAxjcWG
    Latex does prevent it from escaping, yes. Lambskin (and probably other "natural" ones that I am not not aware of) don't. I looked into it to make sure I actually knew what I thought I knew then didn't follow up. HIV can only be transmitted internally if you will, by sharing blood or sexual fluids. Saliva requires a disgustingly massive amount of transfer (over a gallon iirc) to put you at risk for HIV, but depending what you're doing if you have cuts in your mouth or anything like that and you're...well, doing oral things unprotected then you are putting yourself at risk. Like I said though, some STI's such as herpes and HPV (genital warts) can cause skin lesions and so unless you're wearing a body-sized condom (...please tell me these do not exist...), you're still at risk even if you are using protection.

And yes, in the U.S although it isn't necessarily widely approved of, some people choose to have open relationships or to be poly-amorous. I personally don't go that way, but there are people in happy, healthy relationships that I know of who are. I was just using it as a canonical example where you might choose to practice safer sex even after marriage, because getting married to someone doesn't automatically mean you're both clean - plus, there are ways outside of sexual contact to contract some things. That's one thing, some places teach that it's only okay to do it once you're married and don't teach about safer sex practices which is generally crap because there are reasons why you would practice safer sex in a committed relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post

So.. are they 100% safe?
    As all in this world, definitevely isn't 100% safe. Reasons ???

- condom could be damaged for long use - I want to say: realizing sexual issue longer than normal (5 minutes ?)
    - condom can be unacepted for someone, who's alergia of latex
    - some men has problems to get orgasm for cause of condom use
    - condoms are very flexible, but sometimes it doesn't work for someone, who has long tool (I destroy about 80% condoms for this reason.)

Pre-marital sex isn't anything dangerous for nobody, except religious fanatics. And what says these about use of condoms is only crap.

I wanna not to say that condom use is wrong, nothing of this, but is very good to take precautions, which the best is trust between BF and GF. Anticonptives methods are others (not only condoms,) but there is important to say the same: It isn't 100% safe.

Condoms are not perfect, no method other than keeping it in your pants is 100% effective at stopping pregnancy or STDs.

That said 99.99% is still pretty good, and I think that's the stats on condoms, one in 10,000 times someone uses a condom it will fail, now that could mean it'll fail because it's the wrong size "oh I'm a large," syndrome, or because of the occasional tear caused by not lubricating, or one of any number of other failures. But it's not because it lets some of the bad stuff through, if you can use it like a water balloon it will contain all viruses, water is the a very small molecule (<0.2nm) the smallest virus (polio) is much bigger (15nm) and more complicated

I suggest anyone concerned about the consequences of sex carry condoms if they're expecting sex, many teen boys have pin-pricked holes through condoms (and their wrappers) as a joke and some girls, even women, do it if they want a child or to entrap their partner to stay with them.

Use condoms for any sex, oral, anal or vaginal. STDs are transmited in bodily fluid that can be saliva, blood, urine semen and sexual juices. Herpes is the most common cause of cold sores, which present mainly on the lips. HPV causes esophageal (throat) cancer as well as vaginal cancer. Many STDs are non-symptomatic in one of the genders, it's best to be safe rather than sorry

Follow all the directions for use properly, practice using them without a partner first if you are nervous, and make sure they're in date and untampered with.

You don't need to rely on it as the only contraceptive you use, with your partner spermicidal and anti-bacterial lubes are an ok safety net for when the condom breaks. And the pill can further prevent pregnancy.

And make sure even if 'nothing has gone wrong' that if you're having regular sex with one or more partners that you have regular STD check ups, many STDs can be completely unnoticed by one gender, but devastating to the other, if you have something tell your partner to get checked too.

Otherwise it's completely legal, if you want to experience it just go in understanding the risks and don't let dogma rule your life. Hope this helps.

I did a web search out of curiosity. This page suggests that using a condom reduces the risk of HIV infection by 78%.
    Study confirms condom use reduces risk of HIV infection by 78%

And this one talks about all sorts of other risk factors. For example, you can get herpes through bare skin contact, even if you're using a condom: Sexual Risk Factors

But in any case, using a condom is always statistically "safer" than not using one.

Well, if someone has an STD, why risk it anyway? The last thing you'd ever want is a tainted whatever in your pants. But that hole in the condom is utter bs. If that were true, a lot more chicks'd be knocked up.

Hole in the condom was a 'regular' thing at my high school, which is why I mentioned it, there was at least a dozen of the female 'chav' herd that left school with kids, or pregnant, it was common practice for a count them in count them out for boys shagging girls cause they didn't want to be saddled with child support payments. For many of us outsiders getting knocked up appeared to be a desirable fad, after all young mums get council houses faster than single teens. It may be different in the US, after all you don't have the benefits system we have but it happened here, and is probably still happening.