Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am a tad annoyed at present moment.

Default I am a tad annoyed at present moment.

Recently, one of my friends posted on Facebook a picture of an ABDL brony. They then proceeded to rag on another friend of mine for being a brony, this part I admit I don't care about, we tease each other all the time, and I am not a brony. But allow me to be clear, I don't judge bronies.

Fortunately, they seem not to notice the ABDL part, at least as a single element, or perhaps do not recognize what it is. They tended to take in the picture as a whole. However, it is quite obvious they think he is a freak, and spared no time and energy attacking him (the person in the meme).

While I would never consider coming out to anyone other than a hypothetical lover as an ABDL, I am still bothered by the fact that those who I like and associate with can be so obtuse and idiotic. And no matter how much I would like to say something, I can't for fear of exposure.

The other problem I am having is that people, randomly surfing the internet can discover our existence, and then we are collectively judged because of a few exhibitionists, who feel like advertising this to the world. And then due to the collective stupidity of my friends and the ignorance of the web, I feel deeply wounded by attacks that aren't even meant for me.

The worst part is, I don't even feel justified in having this emotion, as none of the objects are related to me, and I am not a part of any of this. So here I sit quietly and deeply offended about something I have nothing to do with. This also annoys me.

Countdown

What do you expect them to say? The man in the picture looks strange. Most people don't engage in those behaviors (i.e., wearing a diaper, sitting in a crib, playing with a stuffed animal, sucking on a pacifier, wearing a children's shirt, and hanging up pictures of diapered cartoon characters). They're childish behaviors, and while the public's lack of exposure to such behaviors in a man contributes to the reaction of revulsion, another element that contributes to it is that it's antithetical to the natural progression of society: you are born a baby, then you gradually gain independence and capability as you become a child, then an adolescent, and finally a fully mature, independent, and responsible adult. When you become an adult, you aren't supposed to engage in childish behaviors like that, so it's bound to provoke a negative reaction in most people. I'm not personally saying it's wrong, I'm just saying that most people are going to feel that it's wrong, and furthermore, that it's repulsive.

Ehh, I think their reaction makes sense. AB/DLs are weird. Bronies are weird. Weird isn't bad, it's just ... weird, odd, strange.

I know that as an AB/DL, the world will most likely never accept me. But I'm okay with that, what I do in my personal time is my business, not the world's. The guy in the picture chose to post it online, and reveal to the public something he should have kept private and personal. And because of that, the "normal people" who saw it were a little freaked out and reacted.

Sure, the "few exhibitionists" are the cooky ones of the bunch, but it's not like wearing diapers for the heck of it isn't weird enough as is. I say it's best to just accept that we have one of the weirder hobbies, and that the public won't ever think we're "normal".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
    What do you expect them to say? The man in the picture looks strange. Most people don't engage in those behaviors (i.e., wearing a diaper, sitting in a crib, playing with a stuffed animal, sucking on a pacifier, wearing a children's shirt, and hanging up pictures of diapered cartoon characters). They're childish behaviors, and while the public's lack of exposure to such behaviors in a man contributes to the reaction of revulsion, another element that contributes to it is that it's antithetical to the natural progression of society: you are born a baby, then you gradually gain independence and capability as you become a child, then an adolescent, and finally a fully mature, independent, and responsible adult. When you become an adult, you aren't supposed to engage in childish behaviors like that, so it's bound to provoke a negative reaction in most people. I'm not personally saying it's wrong, I'm just saying that most people are going to feel that it's wrong, and furthermore, that it's repulsive.
    I was about to quote you from another thread, not sure which one it was: "The AB/DL community is permeated with the false belief that what we do is normal/acceptable."

Countdown

Quote Originally Posted by nothingusual View Post
    I was about to quote you from another thread, not sure which one it was: "The AB/DL community is permeated with the false belief that what we do is normal/acceptable."
    "The AB/DL community is permeated by a ridiculous mass self-delusion that AB/DLs are normal/acceptable. That simply isn't true, no matter how much people would like it to be."

My language was a bit stronger, but yeah, basically.

I am inclined to agree with the both of you. I do not necessarily think that it is or should be socially acceptable, I am more irritated with the fact that we are perpetuating our own stigma. And while I am slightly agitated that my friends felt the way they felt, it makes sense, and I understand. It just hurts, and like I said I feel unjustified in my own emotion, which is part of my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
    "The AB/DL community is permeated by a ridiculous mass self-delusion that AB/DLs are normal/acceptable. That simply isn't true, no matter how much people would like it to be."

My language was a bit stronger, but yeah, basically.
    Woo, I got "permeated" right! The quote is very applicable in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by PacifiedByKnowledge View Post
    I am inclined to agree with the both of you. I do not necessarily think that it is or should be socially acceptable, I am more irritated with the fact that we are perpetuating our own stigma. And while I am slightly agitated that my friends felt the way they felt, it makes sense, and I understand. It just hurts, and like I said I feel unjustified in my own emotion, which is part of my problem.
    Yea, I know what you mean. It's odd, seeing the fight for acceptance of gay men and women, but standing by with my own sexuality entirely unknown to the public. For me, I get very little stimulation from people at all, and it's almost entirely diapers that does it for me. I'm happy that these men and women get to be themselves in public, but it's bittersweet because I know I'll never get to be me in public.

I've really just been Hakuna Matata-ing it. Not thinking about it makes it a WHOLE ton easier. I mean, it's not like society's gonna start accepting us publicly anytime soon.

I would expect that anyone shown a picture of a generic ABDL would be weirded out. It is not "normal" behavior in the respect that most people do not have any interest it and have seen nothing like it. This shouldn't be surprising or discouraging. Even when we come out to those that know us, we would not show them such a picture. It would not be prudent. The perception is only going to be worse if the person in a diaper (or the brony) is a stranger.

Unfortunately exposure to random ABDLs forces the public to judge, and usually condemn, them. They are just nameless weirdos. If the issue comes up with company around, then everyone is probably going to have to agree that it's really weird - because what is at stake for condemning it, and what reason does anyone have to go out of their way and say, "Well, he could still lead a normal life, and he's not hurting anyone"? We assume that no one we know could act like that in their private time. That person must be a serious basket case.

I think most people would see it as less weird if they knew that one of their acquaintances took part in it. Then they know that it's a single facet of a person. That's not to say they will accept it - but it's more likely to be seen as a single trait rather than the defining characteristic.

The problem I think is that I'm not sure if these forced, kneejerk reactions are reversible. And that is the dilemma about exposure of the ABDL community (not to push another thread in that direction).

That's honestly one of the least Offensive AB pics I've seen in sometime. The guy is obviously happy, fit, well groomed and maybe asides the diaper fur art it's more on the cute side then creepy "ew grown man wearing a diaper because he likes it" vibe.

People who's lifestyle is outside the mainstream always will suffer some form of prejudice and ridicule. Virginia and Lychburg, where I live, has become known as a hostile environment for anyone who is gay. We now live in a country where the majority, maybe 55% are accepting of gay marriage, which is a tremendous accomplishment for those who have had to live in the shadows. Much of the majority probably live in the larger cities, where more liberal minded people are found, but move out into the country, and things become different.

It's not likely that we as AB/DL people will find majority acceptance. It's too easy to laugh at a man dressed as a baby, and I completely understand that. Many of us have commented that we find it odd when we see ourselves in the mirror dressed in a diaper. I've gotten over that, and in fact, enjoy seeing myself wearing a diaper, but I would never expect others to feel that way. I've learned to develop broad shoulders and let such comments go their own way. We are who we are, and at least we have each other. I think that's enough. Viva la internet!

I had a good laugh the other day when that was posted in the group I'm in. I nonchalantly explained what it was, some shrugged, some laughed, some understood (I oddly got a lot of likes for doing so). Ohhh if only they knew Xp.

Best medicine here is to learn to laugh at yourself. What can ya do? I kinda chuckled seeing it, god I would laugh at myself (and cringe) if someone took a picture of me like that! But I'm very cute so I'm not gonna worry hahaha