Thread: paci damaging teeth?

Default paci damaging teeth?

ive been using my nuk 5 for a few days not and im paranoid about it damaging my teeth.my parents took my paci away at 3 and for the next few years i sucked my thumb and needed braces i got an over bite its still there but much less noticeable. i still have my retainer in (its wired inside my mouth) will frequent use of the paci cause more damage to my teeth?

also how do you clean yours?

Just don't chew on it and you're fine. I doubt the paci caused your overbite, I had an overbite as well and my parents took away my paci when I was just under 2.

As for cleaning, it's the same as a baby pacifier: How to Clean a Pacifier | eHow.com

Although I don't have any experience using a paci with a retainer, I do know that pacifier use has caused my front teeth to move slightly. But frankly I'm more-or-less addicted, so I have to except it as a side effect.

PaddedPuppy

My teeth are already messed up, so I have never really cared about doing damage to my teeth. At the age of 18 I still have 4 of my baby teeth with no adult ones to push them out and grow in, and discoloration, and my top front teeth are a little out of place. The only good side is that I don't have to worry about sleeping with my paci every night and using it any other time I feel like it. Although I know in a couple of years time I am going to have a big problem, and at least 4 gaps in my mouth.

Anyway, for the average person don't worry about it. If you find your teeth are hurting after paci use you might want to stop, or if you feel any sort of problems. Just try not to use it excessively.

As for cleaning, just put it under some running water before each use, and put it in boiling water every so often. You don't need to do this as much as you would with a real infant, as the adult immune system can handle a lot more and wouldn't get sick from it.

My teeth are messed because I genetically inherited it from my dad something about my teeth wanting to grow in the same area, so I have no problem with my teeth getting messed up but, in you case I doubt that you will mess up your teeth by using you paci.
    As for cleaning I use soap and warm water.

I dont know if it damages your teeth but I realized that when I sleep with my paci on I drool a lot... is that happening to somebody else?

Quote Originally Posted by skittlesfirehawk View Post
    will frequent use of the paci cause more damage to my teeth?
    I suppose that differs from person to person. I think it depends on how firm your jaw bones are. When you are 18, they are likely not yet very hard, which is, I suppose, why retainers are usually put on children: Their teeth move around more easily. I think when you grow, you jaw bones should harden more and your teeth should move around less easily.

For me, I have found that using the paci every night moves my front teeth forward and makes them more loose and pressure-sensitive. This got to the point where my front teeth didn't lock anymore (after 4-6 weeks IIRC) and I stopped sleeping with my paci every night. My teeth moved back to their initial position in a comparatively short time span (1 week). I have tried sleeping with it every night about 2 years after this and hat the impression, that my teeth move more slowly than before. I hope that as I get older, this movement almost stops and I can at some point sleep with my paci every night without my teeth moving or hurting.

That being said, I do know of people who use their pacifiers extensively, also during the day, who have an open bite. That means their front teeth don't lock and there is a gap between them through which they can even stick their tongue out.

By the way, this is a real problem for chronoligical kids. The German technical term is "Luschoffener Biss" (type it in Google images and you will find it), which translates to something like "sucking-related open bite", but from looking at the Google results, the English term is not that common. Maybe someone has a better translation.

Quote Originally Posted by skittlesfirehawk View Post
    also how do you clean yours?
    With cold water from the sink every night before I put it in.

Quote Originally Posted by LilttleJay View Post
    I dont know if it damages your teeth but I realized that when I sleep with my paci on I drool a lot... is that happening to somebody else?
    Yes, that is also happening to me. The explanation I read was that sucking on something stimulates saliva production, so if you suck your pacifier during your sleep, you produce more saliva, which will make you drool.

It is well known that thumb sucking and pacis can cause problems with teeth as they grow.

The same can happen as an adult if used for long periods & frequently. It can cause the teeth to move forward over time. Think of it a braces in reverse.

Since you are using a retainer you should not be sucking on a paci that much as it can interfere with them working.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainFelix View Post
    Yes, that is also happening to me. The explanation I read was that sucking on something stimulates saliva production, so if you suck your pacifier during your sleep, you produce more saliva, which will make you drool.
    Ah, this seems like a perfect excuse to get a bib now