Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About one year ago

Default About one year ago

We took our black lab Abby to be put down to end her suffering. She was 13 and had been suffering from lipoma, a benign cancer that the vet couldn't do anything for. She had a couple softball-sized lumps on her back. I miss her so very much. I love you Abby and hopefully one day we will meet again.

I'm so sorry about Abby. It's very sweet that you keep her in your memory. I still remember my childhood companion Homer, and hope he had happy last moments of his life. I wasn't able to be with him in his final moments because he escaped. I hope at least you were.

Quote Originally Posted by gigglemuffinz View Post
    I'm so sorry about Abby. It's very sweet that you keep her in your memory. I still remember my childhood companion Homer, and hope he had happy last moments of his life. I wasn't able to be with him in his final moments because he escaped. I hope at least you were.
    Well acutally I got to say goodbye to her before dad put her in the van to take her to where she was to be put down. I hugged her, said I would miss her and that was it. I watched dad drive off with her in the van. I kick myself everyday for not going

Even though dad says it was better I not go.

"Lena" was our black lab mix who loved everybody! I called her agressively friendly. Last September she started linmping a little more than usual and I took her to the vet thinking it was arthritis. After an exam and an x-ray, he said she might have nerve cancer, more than likely unoperable! A little over a month later we had to put her down as she was unable to walk at all! She was 3 days short of her 10th birthday and it tore us up to say good-bye all too soon in our opinion. I'm sorry for your loss but you remember happier times, right?

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    "Lena" was our black lab mix who loved everybody! I called her agressively friendly. Last September she started linmping a little more than usual and I took her to the vet thinking it was arthritis. After an exam and an x-ray, he said she might have nerve cancer, more than likely unoperable! A little over a month later we had to put her down as she was unable to walk at all! She was 3 days short of her 10th birthday and it tore us up to say good-bye all too soon in our opinion. I'm sorry for your loss but you remember happier times, right?
    Yeah, but I think that only adds to what makes me miss her so much. How when I was sick, Abby would come up to the couch and keep me company.

I'm so sorry Balto. You know I love all dogs. How odd, but we put our golden retriever down one year ago as well. She suddenly went into seizures and there was nothing the vet could do. We got another golden in June, and we dearly love her, but we still miss our other dog. Since my wife and I have been married, we've had three dogs and the present one. If you're a dog lover, you will be able to measure your life by the dogs you've had. Like you, I look toward the day, after death, when I will be with them all again. It should be a very crowded bed as most of them loved to sleep with us.

Losing a dog is always hard even to people who weren't the closest to. It's a horrible pain I've felt, seen and heard many suffer trough.

Nothing more to say then that, it simple sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I'm so sorry Balto. You know I love all dogs. How odd, but we put our golden retriever down one year ago as well. She suddenly went into seizures and there was nothing the vet could do. We got another golden in June, and we dearly love her, but we still miss our other dog. Since my wife and I have been married, we've had three dogs and the present one. If you're a dog lover, you will be able to measure your life by the dogs you've had. Like you, I look toward the day, after death, when I will be with them all again. It should be a very crowded bed as most of them loved to sleep with us.
    Yeah I think your love for dogs is evident from your username dogboy. Kinda comes together. How did you put your dog down? Was it in a initimate, less commercial fashion like we did with Abby (like in a home-like environment) or did you just have her put down. I went about half a year before the mourning effect really began to hit me. I always thought I would fall apart the day she was put to rest, but that obviously wasnt the case. I think heaven has some very big bed sizes, so that you shouldnt worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    Yeah I think your love for dogs is evident from your username dogboy. Kinda comes together. How did you put your dog down? Was it in a initimate, less commercial fashion like we did with Abby (like in a home-like environment) or did you just have her put down. I went about half a year before the mourning effect really began to hit me. I always thought I would fall apart the day she was put to rest, but that obviously wasnt the case. I think heaven has some very big bed sizes, so that you shouldnt worry about.
    We have a long standing relationship with our vet and his staff. My Uncle Dave was head of the Agriculture Department at Rutger's University, and was actually quite famous. Vet's know who he was, so we had a close relationship with our veterinarian doctor. I sat on the vet's floor and held Maggie while they administered the shots. My wife was there with me. Maggie stopped seizing and quietly went to sleep. Unfortunately for the staff, we cried uncontrollably. It was a horrible experience for us.

We had her cremated and they returned the ashes in a finished ceder box, which we buried in our back yard along with her favorite toy. I'm now crying as I write this. The memory is terribly painful. I will always love her. Dogs always seem to have an innocence about them. Our present dog is amazing. There's so many uncanny things which she seems to know. When I changed the music setting on our kitchen clock for Christmas, and the first time the clock played a Christmas carol, Katie looked up at it and cocked her head at an angle. She knew the tunes had changed and it amazed her.

I believe that dogs and animals function on a spiritual level. I think there's a lot more going on in their minds they we realize, or can possible know. It's this that makes them special, and real and live, and I believe it's this that gives them a soul to live on past death.

I'm so sorry about that having a pet is amazing, isn't it? I was a lonely person but my parents didn't know about that and they didn't want a dog in my house. So I often got depressed and the effect is still taking place until now. I'm sure you had a great time with her. Be strong