Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makeshift Diaper Epic Fail

Default Makeshift Diaper Epic Fail

So tonight I got the ''brilliant'' idea to fashion myself a makeshift diaper by cutting open a flannel pillow case and fastening it with masking tape. It took me like six tries to get it on half-way right and by then the tape didn't want to stick. I wore it for about 20 minutes then tossed it back in my closet. There goes my idea of going to bed padded...

I'm sorry, I know the feeling of frustration at not being able to do so. I actually think your idea was creative, though I suppose your tale serves to caution us from trying ourselves. Still, big hugs!

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaStarshine View Post
    There goes my idea of going to bed padded...
    Don't give up so quickly! Find yourself a pair of safety pins and you'll be in business. Additionally, you might consider using towels or flannel bed sheets (use traditional diaper folds on the latter). These will certainly provide more in the way of actual "padding," too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Don't give up so quickly! Find yourself a pair of safety pins and you'll be in business. Additionally, you might consider using towels or flannel bed sheets (use traditional diaper folds on the latter). These will certainly provide more in the way of actual "padding," too.
    When I was 15 or so and couldn't get diapers, I'd always fold up a towel and stick it in my underwear. Ahhhh, the memories.

I used to put all my tighty whiteys on all at once. Good padded experience. I even wet them once. I was still at home and I did all my laundry.

Yes, a terry hand towel and two safety pins should do the job. Buy a white one and you're basically there.

Tonight I'm going to try again with a towel and some velcro from the junk door, as there's no safety pins laying around.

I hope you have a driver's license, both for ID and for driving. Cars are handy for abdl's (driving to medical supply stores, transporting bags of disposables, a place to diaper up or change.) This especially applied to people in the 16-18 range when we had them on here.

Any chance of renting a mailbox at the post office or some place?

BTW one thing that's been no use in my experience is plastic bags with the corners cut off. I wasted a lot of time (and bags) trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
    I hope you have a driver's license, both for ID and for driving. Cars are handy for abdl's (driving to medical supply stores, transporting bags of disposables, a place to diaper up or change.) This especially applied to people in the 16-18 range when we had them on here.

Any chance of renting a mailbox at the post office or some place?

BTW one thing that's been no use in my experience is plastic bags with the corners cut off. I wasted a lot of time (and bags) trying!
    Nope, no driver's license. But right now I'm satisfied with my towel diaper.

Not to brag, but I could write a book on makeshift diapers. Here some of my tips. Basically, you need 3 key ingredients: diaper material to soak up your pee and caress you with soft bulkiness; A waterproof cover; and a fastening devise.

For Diaper material I have used, in various combinations, Terry bath towels and hand towels of all sizes, baby blankets, white tee shirts, pillow cases, multiple layers of whitey tighties, paper towels, disposable bed pads, sheets of micro-fiber (used in quilting), and even my kid's diaper service diapers.

For the waterproof cover I've used all sizes of plastic bags, my grandmother's plastic apron, zip-up plastic clothes bags, the plastic dry cleaner bags, plastic pillow case covers, old plastic bed sheets (which I cut up), the large diaper service bag from when my kids wore diapers (the one you put the dirty diapers in), and the plastic off a clothes hanger for wet items.

For fastening, I've used large safety pins, multiple small safety pins, large binder-style paper clips (they are basically small clamps and work surprisingly well), blanket or skirt pins, masking tape, and duct tape.

Here are some of my more memorable setups:
    1. Diaper - 2 small terry bath towels folded "angel fold" style with one terry hand towel in the center as a stuffer. The stuffer enhances that satisfying bulk between my legs. Fastener - (4) small safety pins I borrowed from my wife's sewing supplies. These are only to pin the diaper. Use 2 per side. No need to pin through all the layers - just the top layer. Waterproof Cover - Large plastic bag. I like a plastic bag that is fairly thick, white or a primary color, or clear color. Though they are very functional, I do not like black garbage bags. Black is not a baby color. I cut the bag down each side and open it up flat. At this point it is a lot larger than needed. I sit on the center of the bag with the towel diaper pinned on and then pull up the plastic bag between my legs just like a diaper. Next I tuck the extra plastic in my crotch area (2-4 inches each side) inside the terry towel diaper. Then I pull the bag up and over lap the front (diaper style) and pin it with two small safety pins on each side [B]to the diaper[B]. This keeps the plastic in place. And finally I tuck the extra plastic on top inside the terry towel diaper. In summary, get the toweling to the thickness and bulk you want, pin it on first, then pin the plastic bag to it and tuck all the extra plastic under the toweling so that all the toweling is encased in the plastic bag. This will insure you have no leaks. I have used this system over night many times and wet a lot with no leaks.

2. When my kids were in diapers I would often wake in the middle of the night with a full bladder and a super strong urge for a diaper. To take care of my needs, I would borrow a few of the kids diaper service diapers, empty the diaper pail to get the heavy plastic bag liner to use as my "rubber pants" and retrieve the necessary accessories from the changing table (powder and pins) and diaper up for a short session. I did not cut the diaper service bag. I just pinned through the bag and diaper all at once with the diaper pins. Occasionally, If we were low on fresh diapers, I would use a couple of "used" ones that were not soiled but just a little wet.

As they say necessity is the mother of invention. If you need to be diapered bad enough, you will figure out a way.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to brag, but I could write a book on makeshift diapers. Here some of my tips. Basically, you need 3 key ingredients: diaper material to soak up your pee and caress you with soft bulkiness; A waterproof cover; and a fastening devise.

For Diaper material I have used, in various combinations, Terry bath towels and hand towels of all sizes, baby blankets, white tee shirts, pillow cases, multiple layers of whitey tighties, paper towels, disposable bed pads, sheets of micro-fiber (used in quilting), and even my kid's diaper service diapers.

For the waterproof cover I've used all sizes of plastic bags, my grandmother's plastic apron, zip-up plastic clothes bags, the plastic dry cleaner bags, plastic pillow case covers, old plastic bed sheets (which I cut up), the large diaper service bag from when my kids wore diapers (the one you put the dirty diapers in), and the plastic off a clothes hanger for wet items.

For fastening, I've used large safety pins, multiple small safety pins, large binder-style paper clips (they are basically small clamps and work surprisingly well), blanket or skirt pins, masking tape, and duct tape.

Here are some of my more memorable setups:
    1. Diaper - 2 small terry bath towels folded "angel fold" style with one terry hand towel in the center as a stuffer. The stuffer enhances that satisfying bulk between my legs. Fastener - (4) small safety pins I borrowed from my wife's sewing supplies. These are only to pin the diaper. Use 2 per side. No need to pin through all the layers - just the top layer. Waterproof Cover - Large plastic bag. I like a plastic bag that is fairly thick, white or a primary color, or clear color. Though they are very functional, I do not like black garbage bags. Black is not a baby color. I cut the bag down each side and open it up flat. At this point it is a lot larger than needed. I sit on the center of the bag with the towel diaper pinned on and then pull up the plastic bag between my legs just like a diaper. Next I tuck the extra plastic in my crotch area (2-4 inches each side) inside the terry towel diaper. Then I pull the bag up and over lap the front (diaper style) and pin it with two small safety pins on each side [B]to the diaper[B]. This keeps the plastic in place. And finally I tuck the extra plastic on top inside the terry towel diaper. In summary, get the toweling to the thickness and bulk you want, pin it on first, then pin the plastic bag to it and tuck all the extra plastic under the toweling so that all the toweling is encased in the plastic bag. This will insure you have no leaks. I have used this system over night many times and wet a lot with no leaks.

2. When my kids were in diapers I would often wake in the middle of the night with a full bladder and a super strong urge for a diaper. To take care of my needs, I would borrow a few of the kids diaper service diapers, empty the diaper pail to get the heavy plastic bag liner to use as my "rubber pants" and retrieve the necessary accessories from the changing table (powder and pins) and diaper up for a short session. I did not cut the diaper service bag. I just pinned through the bag and diaper all at once with the diaper pins. Occasionally, If we were low on fresh diapers, I would use a couple of "used" ones that were not soiled but just a little wet.

As they say necessity is the mother of invention. If you need to be diapered bad enough, you will figure out a way.