Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video Gaming... Your thoughts.

Default Video Gaming... Your thoughts.

I have never understood the lure and expanding market for video games. I did play Atari as a kid but have not since been able to grasp the popularity.

This may be an explosive thread due to the amount of young adults and grow-ups who still enjoy them daily vs. those that consider it a complete waste of valuable time. While I get that video games provide a temporary escape from the rigors of daily life I also have witnessed those who have a normal fullfilling life that have completely immersed themselves in video games on-line and have played for over 24 hours straight! Their spouse is left to take care of everything else in the "real world" while they indulge themselves silly in the world of digital combat.

Now, I guess to be fair, it could be said of myself who needs the coupla' hours on the ol' internet each day but I somehow feel that it comes from a different drive entirely. The gaming these days seems to be mostly driven on combat or adventure platforms. They are entirely fantasy based and depicted to look like real life. I work with adults who talk about their gaming world almost entirely.

Q; Is gaming a normal recreation?

Q: Can applicable skills be developed from gaming?

Q: Is gaming a destructive ingredient to a productive society?

O: Is the world better/worse off with the popularity of gaming?

Q: Am I simply too narrow-minded to understand gaming?

I honestly cringe when I see young kids immersed in a video game and am even more perplexed at adults immersed in it.

To those who recommend I try it and maybe gain a different perspective: I have given it a true try and still cannot understand the lure and popularity.

Gaming today is not what it was ten, twenty years ago; today, they are blockbuster titles with budgets (and profits) respectively rivalling and dwarfing the greatest outputs from hollywood. In this day and age, games suck the player into a deeply immersive, rich and varied world for players to explore, and where the characters are very realistic; having been well designed animated and voiced, often by famous actors, for instance Mass Effect, Bioshock, Fallout etc. So that's what pulls people in.

To answer your questions;

1. Yes, it is a normal recreation, the widespread purchases of gaming consoles from people of various backgrounds proves this to be so, moreover, the fact that it is socially acceptable now to enjoy games, and not be labelled as a nerd or whatever insult people can conjure up, also illustrates this point.

2. Yes, like I said previously, gaming is a huge multi billion dollar industry, and as it is almost certainly set to grow unabated, the need for talented writers, developers, software engineers, artists et al will only increase, so in a nutshell, the pursuit of creating games creates jobs

3. I don't believe it to be regressive, our society continues to evolve and progress in spite of the mass popularity of games

4. I don't believe it is better or worse off, I doubt without games society would collapse; we seemed to manage ok for the first 50,000 years of our existence, and even with them, I essentially perceive them to be just another form of entertainment.

5. No, I'm not going to begrudge you for having different interests to mine, if it hasn't really whet your appetite for entertainment, then that is of course your prerogative

The one thing I dislike about video games nowadays is how they are all online nowadays (or dont really have a objective to them). I remember when video games iused to be like the Super Mario games where you had a objective to clear before you could finish the game. But now its like the james they're making the objective is obsolete. Minecraft and the Sims are good examples of how they have thrown away the point of having objectives in games.

Like SterlingArcher already mentioned, today it's not the same as it has been 20 years ago. You can rather compare most games with a movie. It can tell a good story, be recreating, have good action, good scenes (cutscenes), and to some degree be it's own kind of art.
    You like movies like Rambo, die hard and other pure action stuff? Well then go for a pure first or third person shooter with little story, but brute action. Some examples: Just Cause 2 - Think of a Michael Bay movie, the new Tomb Raider - basically: Rambo bow! nothing more to say.
    In the end, there is every genre, for there are movies. Be it sci fi, drama, comedy, action, horror, adventure, western and everything mixed together.
    As a side note, there are some "experimental" games like heavy rain, where you got just a minor role and can influence/help your character, but the story goes forward no matter what you do, or do not.

About applicable skills, i'm not sure. Surely your reaction time may improve, depending on whats your favourite gametype. Professional online games as an example. But if this gives you any advantage in your normal life may be questionable.
    One positive thing, gaming helps with a lazy eye, even for adults.

Honestly, i think we would be better off without games, but this counts for movies too. Your imagination suffers, since it's not the same as a well written book. It's only my opinion though. But a game ain't worse , based on the genre and complexity, than the "corresponding" movie or tv series.

And i don't think you're too narrow minded. Everyone is different and has varying demands and interests therefore.
    If you want to give it a try, stick to something you like generally. If you're into soccer, well go for Fifa (or any other soccer based game), or if you loved some old high complexity real time strategic games back in the old days, try something that is "the successor" from those, like Starcraft 2, etc. I'd suggest, read some reviews and don't mind picking a rather "rusty" game, if it has been great, it still is. It's the same like some will always enjoy black and white movies way more than new ones.

I think yes - as long as it's the occasional thing and doesn't become all-obsessive and more important than going outdoors.
    Also I personally have never gotten gaming AT ALL... I play chess once in a while and rarely with friends a round of Texas Hold 'Em.... but that's all my "gaming".
    Console or PC Games? nah... doesn't interest me the slightest little bit.

Like what? sitting in a chair? Staring at the monitor?
    if you think about tactical stuff - forget it.
    Short: NO

Yes, if it becomes someones obsession.

No... Doesn't make a difference

No.
    It's just that I prefer more real human-human interaction, being really active, outdoors, etc.

Frequently, a good game is akin to a good book. The storyline and immersiveness of modern video games can allow the user to become quite engrossed in it. To me, (19-year-old gamer) video games are just another form of recreation, no different than chatting with friends at a movie, reading a book, or listening to music. Often, I'll be chatting with friends across the globe; this kind of technology can really bring the world together, to be honest.

Lots of games nowadays have interactive storylines, something that is inherently missing from a book or movie. You can play the same game several times over with different results and a new experience every time.

Applicable skills- video games have been proven to increase reaction time, and certain games (For instance, World of Tanks) rely heavily on team gameplay. It teaches valuable skills about cooperating with other people, which can be difficult in the best of times. They also teach planning skills (again, in WoT, the 'caller' decides who goes where in order to complete a task) and how to prioritize objectives. Situational awareness (what is going on, where it is happening, and who it is affecting) is absolutely a necessity (such things can be used in daily tasks like driving, and for people who work in dangerous jobs and need to be aware of their surroundings) Nearly everything in such games can be applied to real life.

Simply put, we're living in a different age than many people were raised in. Either way, good or bad, video games are likely here to stay.

I've played a pretty good amount of games in the past. I don't consider myself a "gamer" because most of the year I do not game at all. While I am at school I do not have a gaming console with me nor time to game. When I go home I will occasionally splurge.

So my gaming habits are pretty tame now. In the past I have been a very avid, maybe addicted gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by ilostthesheriff View Post
    Gaming is essentially no different from another recreation like watching TV. It is "normal." I think, like anything, it can be taken to an extreme.

Maybe. I think I learned how to type and how to work really really unnecessarily hard at single-minded tasks by playing an MMO. This is definitely not the case for everyone, though, because other people could get entrenched in textspeak habits from online gaming. And while I can do certain forms of work for a couple hours straight without a break, I don't think that's always the result of playing an MMO... MMOs can also decrease your attention span, get you addicted, etc.

I also credit that MMO for much of my introversion. I started playing it in middle schools, before which I was a pretty average child, and after which I was very quiet and have always struggled to make new friends.

So can you get applicable skills from gaming? Yes... but I don't think that's a good reason to game, and I think gaming can also lead to the development of other poor habits.

I am honestly a little worried about gaming and society. As I said, gaming is fine as a moderated recreation. But there are a lot of people I went to high school with who basically made it their lives to maximize time spent gaming (and at certain points in my life, I did that as well). Now they are out of high school. Some of them are not going to college and they are still doing the same thing: trying to find an adult living arrangement that continues to maximize gaming time. I don't know... I find that a little sad that some people transition on to high education or get full-time jobs while others resist adapting because gaming is not a recreation for them but a way of life. This doesn't apply to all gamers. I think moderated gaming is fine.

I think my previous answer basically fits in here. I don't know if I would want to answer this question directly because gaming is here, and it has emerged naturally and inevitably along the advent of computing, so a world without popular gaming is an alternate world. I just can't imagine it. That is what my generation does (or did, in high school).

Not really. I think gaming is like television in most respects. The difference is that gaming is insidiously addictive and games these days are designed to hook people. If you haven't had this experience or gamed much, then you won't get hooked as easily. I know my dad would try our video games sometime and he'd squint, "I can't even see the screen. What's going on?" So if you haven't tasted of the fruit, so to speak, or grown up with it (there are exceptions, certainly), you are less susceptible to their addictive properties.

But behavioral psychology and the "science of addiction" are a big thing in game design now. You used to have games like Pac Man which were the same thing every time. Now you have Call of Duty. Call of Duty has added some "RPG elements" so that you level up, you earn money/points as you kill people in multiplayer, etc., so there is this constant sense of progress. The game encourages people to make goals and play more to fulfill those goals. This is why all of the franchises that used to be classic first-person shooters are adopting some characteristics of RPGs - because those characteristics are what make RPGs really addictive.

Countdown

Quote Originally Posted by ilostthesheriff
    Speaking as an American, I believe it is, so long as the video game player is in their teens or twenties. (I doubt that it'd be considered normal in, for example, Sierra Leone.)

In my opinion, for something to be considered normal in a particular culture or sub-culture, it needs to satisfy two criteria:
    (a) a significant number of people engage in it
    (b) a large majority of people within the culture or sub-culture would agree that the thing in question is normal

I think that a significant number of teens and 20-something-year-olds play video games, and I think most Americans would agree that it's normal. I don't think the same could be said for people above 29, though.

I don't know. I've read some accounts of people who claim to have developed marketable skills due, in large part, to their gaming habits, but I'm skeptical (for obvious reasons it is a leisure activity) of them.

I believe that some people can become more self-confident as a result of playing video games. Improving your skill at a strategy game over time through repeated wins can instill a greater sense of self-confidence in someone, in much the same way that a high school football player will feel a sense of confidence after he makes the game-winning catch. Successes breeds confidence, and while I would not call self-confidence a skill, I don't think anyone will disagree with me when I say that it's a very desirable trait.

If we're speaking only of production, then it can be. If it becomes an addiction/obsession that cuts into time that otherwise would have gone to being productive, then yes, that would cut into an individual's productivity, and since society is a collection of individuals, it would cut into society's productivity.

I don't know. I don't like questions like that. Gaming is primarily a leisure activity. If gaming never existed, people would find leisure in other activities. I think that this question is really asking, "Is gaming worse than other leisurely activities?" I would say no, because it can instill a sense of self-confidence in people and studies have shown that it is more mentally stimulating than other leisurely activities, like watching TV.

Some people will call you narrow-minded, but people will call you narrow-minded for a whole host of reasons. "Narrow-minded" is just one of those words that people like to use to feel superior to other individuals. In essence, it is stating, "Look how enlightened and open-minded I am, and look at what a despicable, narrow-minded, unintelligent imbecile you are." Open-mindedness is a virtue today (particularly in the younger generation), and if you dare not be open to something that they like, then you are a terrible person.

A; Yes and no, to the people classified as ( MLG ) then yes they play enough. And no because it's not psychically demanding enough.

A; Yes! Gaming has proven to have some skills developed from this. Faster reaction time, more teamwork skills and memory improvement.

A;Yes it is, some people like video games enough to apply it to real life I.E Shooters and do stupid things they shouldn't. Also slows productivity for lots of people

A; I would say worse. Because without gaming lots of things that we would not have today, some movies, good classic games i.e sonic

A; depends on how you are. Some people just do not like video games. You might be one of the UN-lucky few.

Hope i helped a bit

1) Yes, in the same way that drawing or reading or any hobby is. What reason is there for it not to be classed as one?

2) Hand eye coordination could be improved and perhaps reaction times but why do you need to gain anything important from gaming or any hobby?

3) As with anything, if done in moderation then it's fine for society. If you're one of those who spends your entire day on WoW or any game (which is a minute fraction of the gaming community) then of course it would be a problem.

4) Games may have helped in regards to software and hardware on computers but I don't know enough about that stuff to say any more on the subject.

5) You seem willing to learn and listen to others so of course not, if you shot down everyone who said that gaming isn't stupid and ranted about how you're correct then you would be narrow minded. I don't see the appeal of knitting or My Little Pony but I won't begrudge those who do enjoy it because I can understand why they enjoy it.