Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BumperJumper Fun

Default BumperJumper Fun

Saw a video on youtube and of a teen bouncing in a home made Jolly Jumper. So I found one and made it work for me!!!

Get one and fly......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1745 (480x640).jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	16479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1747 (480x640).jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	16480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1748 (480x640).jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	16481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1750 (480x640).jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	16482

Quote Originally Posted by AnnBabygurl View Post
    Nice!! That is really cool and creative!
    I saw an older child maybe 3 or 4 using a Bumper Jumper on youtube and he was having a great time jumping and spining. Well I had to see if it could be reworked for the big baby. I got one for $5.00 and started to rebuild it. I made a bite of a muck up of it but was able to use it. I rebuilt a second one and did a better job on it and after adding some safty extras I went flying. Now I know why babys love the jumper it's great fun. Before you build yours talk to me there are things you must do so you don't muck up.....

jstevens

/thank you/ . . . lol... nice that I'm not the only one who's done this!

I wonder, though, if my video (user account 'z33k3rz' on YouTube) was perhaps one of the ones you saw?

If not, any chance of pointing me in the direction of whatever you found?

THe question is can you bounce in that seat? can it take your weight?

Oh yes I can. I had a good baby day today and used it a lot along with my high chair and other things. I can't weight to get the jumper out side. I hook it to a large tree with three sets of springs and were off. I can fly, jump, bounce and spin. I don't spin as fast as the kid in the video that would make me sick. I can sure say that I know why babys like the jumpers it,s great fun.

Did you have to enlarge the tray opening to fit into it? I had one of these a couple years ago and hard as I tried I couldn't squeeze my hips through the tray opening. I even tried twisting diagonally, since the opening is kind of a rectangle shape, and pushing one side of my hips down first, still without success. I only have a 32" waist and weigh about 130lbs. Out of frustration, I resold it after replacing the fabric seat, since I had "altered" the leg openings of the one which came with it. Doorway jumpers and baby walkers - the two baby items I would love to fit into but seem to be just a tad too big in the hips.

Now, the older jumper/walker/bouncers I can fit into just fine. Ditto with the older Graco wind up swings having canvas seats and metal rods for the seat frame and hangers. I bought a 1950s Welsh baby jumper seat and can fit into it easily. It could use stiffer springs because the seat frame bottoms out on the floor making it impossible to do any bouncing while sitting in it.

~Pramrider

Pramrider Frist off I am 36" waist and weigh 175lbs and I just got out of it to talk to you.

What to look for. There three classes of Graco Bumper Jumpers out there, you want the ones with the rubber bumper preferably the older model. This one has the heaviest tray of the three and the seat and straps can easily be removed from the tray.

Now to cut the tray opening, cut around the flange of the tray but don’t cut over the edge or into the two small cups at the front of the tray or the back rest there is no need to touch the back rest. Now do a test fit, it will be slug but you slide in, if not a little more cutting. Then use a torch to heat the parts that you have cut and you will have a nice smooth edge you will slide in much easier.
    Now the seat! You will have to add some screws to the edges of the front part of the seat as one attachment point will not do. The sides of the seat will have to be attached; I just over the sides and screw them through the eye litres.

Now for the important part and some safety steps! The one strap going to the spring will not support you so cut those parts off and replace with a closed hook. What I do is take a threaded hook and add two washers and nuts to it one waster nut outside and the inside and slug them up. Then I add a short pace of chain from one side of the hook under the Tri-Star and up the other side to the hook this is so if the Tri-Star breaks the chain will stop baby from falling. The Tri-Star needs to be braced I use threaded rod with nuts at each end to prevent this from happening. See the last photo for the layout. Just add springs and go bouncing.

Bn3baby

- - - Updated - - -

Now, the older jumper/walker/bouncers I can fit into just fine. Ditto with the older Graco wind up swings having canvas seats and metal rods for the seat frame and hangers. I bought a 1950s Welsh baby jumper seat and can fit into it easily. It could use stiffer springs because the seat frame bottoms out on the floor making it impossible to do any bouncing while sitting in it.

~Pramrider[/QUOTE]

The old swing with the canvas seats were good fun. I use to take two of the and put the legs of one on the other to lift the cross part higher and add short chians to the hanger rods to lower the seat so my head would clear the cross pace. I could go in that swing for ever. Havent seen one in years. I have never seen Welsh baby jumper seat!

bn3baby

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions on modifying the Jumper seat. That's the one I had, with the bumper that went all around it. I'll have to remember this post.

On the swings, the lowering of the seat with short pieces of chain is exactly what i was figuring on doing if I ever find one. They go for crazy money on ebay...out of my price range! Here's a Welsh jumper exactly like mine only with white vinyl seat instead of the yellow on mine: Welsh Playmate Antique Baby Bouncer | eBay You can see the springs are kind of short and small, and it doesn't take much to bottom the frame out on the floor.

~Pramrider