Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When and if to use baby powder?

Question When and if to use baby powder?

I use baby powder under my diaper sometimes just for the experience of it, but then I started to wonder, do diapered adults need it the same way infants do?

Is baby powder only useful to my adult bum for the babyish feel? Or should I use baby powder any time I wear a diaper, for however long? Or, only when I plan on wearing a diaper overnight?

Also if I should be using it, only when I plan on wetting the diaper, or under a dry diaper as well?

Sorry if this is a silly question or one that's been asked before... I just figured that I'm better safe than sorry in case I really do need the stuff, since I am only using it once in a while right now!

Lily

hi lily i think use some baby power or cream like fissan help your sking agaist acid pee
    so is allways good how your life goes? do you have a nice saturday?

I wear 24/7 and use baby powder with every change. Don't have a problem with chafing or rash.

I don't use powder with every change (I don;t bother when I'm out) but I always use it when changing at home.

The idea behind using baby powder in the first place is to help absorb moisture and protect the skin from the ammonia in urine. Therefore, if you're going to wet, I advice you to use it to help keep your skin safer from rash. It might also be wise to use it at night, even if you aren't using the diaper, since it will also help absorb sweat while you sleep.

Personally, I see it as a low cost, easy way to help you feel and smell babyish while preventing rashes and other issues. I pretty much never wear a diaper without powder for that reason. It's just a good idea.

The thing with baby powder is that if you use a lot of it, it can clog the pores in the diaper material and hamper the diapers ability to absorb quickly, which will make it more leak prone (I think tena diapers specifically warn about this).

The only times I've found powder to be helpful were when it was hot out. Rubbing a small amount of powder over my skin where it was in contact with the plastic helps to keep sweat from making the plastic stick and bunch up. And I've actually taken to using odor eaters foot powder (it's basically normal talc with a bit of baking soda mixed in) as it seems to help a bit with odor control.

Quote Originally Posted by spddan View Post
    I see it as a low cost, easy way to help you feel and smell babyish while preventing rashes and other issues. I pretty much never wear a diaper without powder for that reason. It's just a good idea.
    I wear 24/7 and totally agree with the above. It reduces your chance of getting a rash, has a babyish smell that is nevertheless socially acceptable and it doesn't cost much. I never change without it.

Quote Originally Posted by irnub
    The thing with baby powder is that if you use a lot of it, it can clog the pores in the diaper material and hamper the diapers ability to absorb quickly, which will make it more leak prone (I think tena diapers specifically warn about this).
    You can prevent it clogging the pores on your diaper by not putting too much powder on, or by massaging it into your skin.

Thank you guys a lot! I think I will start using it every time I change, maybe even when I have to wear underwear just to remind myself that I'm never TOTALLY grown up! Anyway I'm glad to know that it helps with the rash; I got a bad rash one time when I slept the whole night in a swollen diaper and I hadn't used powder.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
    Lily

Since I have just started wearing after a long time away, I never even thought of powder but I like the idea of the feel and scent so I think I will get some jeans on over my bambiino and head to the local drug store. See I knew I'd lie it hear. :-)

I recently got a container of corn starch to try also. I've had problems in the past where if my skin starts getting irritated, talc actually dries it out too much and can cause it to stay irritated and dehydrated. Corn starch doesn't seem to have this problem. Unfortunately, the corn starch powder I got (walmart generic, equate I think) has the consistency of flour (not as granular as talc) and it also has no scent in it so it doesn't smell anywhere near as good as most talcs do. (which have scent added) I think they do this on purpose, they're selling to people that want a more all-natural powder, so they don't add scent.

I have a VERY old container of J&J talc, and it interestingly enough is identical to the corn starch - consistency of flour and no sweet smell. So there must be several things added to talc to give it its texture and smell. For general use, I get the big generic talc bottles at walmart.

For me, talc keeps the diaper friction on the inside of my thighs down for awhile, and helps keep my hips from sweating where the unpadded diaper wings fold around. If I forget to talc up my hips before diapering for the day, I often get pimples on the outsides of my hips under my diaper.