Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pope

Default New Pope

So, the Catholic Church has a new Pope. As per Wikipedia, he opposes same sex marriage, reproductive rights, and euthanasia. On same sex marriage his words seem to show particular anger and hatred.

Meet the new boss; same as the old boss.

Why would you expect a Pope to come out in favor of things that contradict basic tenets of the Catholic faith?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Why would you expect a Pope to come out in favor of things that contradict basic tenets of the Catholic faith?
    Sadly, I didn't expect it. I remained hopeful nonetheless.

Yeah, not exactly surprising. I kinda stopped caring, I know a lost case when I see one. It's probably more efficient to convince the man in the streets to abolish medieval points of view like this.

Not surprising...

another addition that's tighter than a gnats arse.

I'm not religious... so I don't get the whole clerical-world anyhow.

But I would like to see that the catholic world at on point chooses a leader that is
    - a good bit younger
    - not so uptight
    - not opposed to any marriage
    - actively promotes the use of condoms to stop stuff like Aids and other STD
    - accepts that a women should have FREE CHOICE over abortion if the need arises.
    - dismantles the whole fucked up celibacy mandate for priests/clergy... I think / believe we would finally see less church-based child abuse / rape...
    - spreads a bit of that wealth from the vatican to actually make the world a better place.

But I believe I'll be long dead before any of that would happen.

News flash - Papal pronunciation: "We've decided the folks in Sodom and Gomorrah were right, Lot and his wife were just reactionary right wingers clinging to their imaginary God. Since sodomy and fornication are all the rage in the modern world, we're just going to go with it. From now on anything goes. Goats, altar boys, your neighbor's wife, anything. For those of you who still feel the need for a little structure in your lives, obeying any 4 of the 10 commandments (your choice...) will get you a passing grade at the Pearly Gates, if they exist. My first official act will be to fly to America to deliver a personal apology to Hugh Hefner. Pope out."

People seem to think that the pope has the ability to change the Church's position on issues like these because almost all (let's say) "legislative" bodies are becoming more liberal over time. The problem with this is that the Church is essentially defined by its centralization and tradition. The Protestant Reformation broke off the parts of the Church that wanted to change - and these days, if you want to change what you believe, you can convert to another denomination that allows you to. The Church has gone well out of its way on many occasions (Council of Trent, Vatican II) to affirm tradition. Read the Catechism. There is a framework for all of the Church's beliefs, even though we don't like them, and I do believe that if you make the Church's fundamental assumptions, the rest of its beliefs do follow as a cohesive body. This essentially means that changing beliefs about an issue like abortion or marriage requires a change in the Church's central tenets. Anyone who is going to be elected pope isn't going to be changing that.

The Church isn't composed of politicians who will change their views to get votes. I think that what can change is followers of the Church. I know many Catholics who practice almost none of the beliefs. So while I don't see the Church changing anything for a long time... many Catholics do not really follow the Church anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    He was chosen by the others so they were always going to choose who represented their views best, if he supported gay rights then he wouldn't have had a chance. He was elected by people well into their 60's and 70's, not people in their 20's, only that could possibly make a difference in who they chose.

Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed for their inhospitality, greed, and refusal to help the poor and needy, not because of gay marriage.

There are multiple passages in other Biblical books talking about the destruction of these two cities and why it was done, not one of them mentions same-sex relations.

Ezekiel 16:49-50:

Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good.
    Pride, arrogance, self-indulgence, laziness, and no social consciousness. It's a wonder most Christians aren't struck down where they stand for these reasons.

Oh, and I'm sure goats and altar boys are next in line, since both are quite capable of offering up consent and entering into a legal contract. Because that's totally and exactly the same thing as two consenting adults.

Default New Pope

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    Francis I and every cardinal that voted for him was made cardinal by either John-Paul II or Benedict XVI, two staunch conservatives. Obviously he, like everyone else in the room, is a staunch conservative. There is no progressive wing amongst cardinals.

To be honest, what intrigues me the most is the regal name. Excluding John-Paul I, who just used the names of his two predecessors, this seems to be the first new regal name for a pope since Lando I in 913.